Rear Clam Removal Guide

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:09 PM

will post several pics of the critical points, so wait posting 'til I'm done plz! :P you will need basic tools, a jack and 2 stands to rest the car upon clam removal (wheels off) remove both seats (4 bolts each) remove rear speakers and black plastic liner. note: if the liner was removed already, no need to remove the seats. remove the trunk carpeting. disconnect and remove the rear light units (3 or 4 small bolts each). remover the 4 bolts (10mm) holding the trunk floor.

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 02:28 PM.

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:14 PM

remove the rear engine boot: 3 bolts under each hinge. if the shell is removed for repainting, the positioning studs (2) and the stick will have to come off, along with all the rubber weatherstrippings, they just pull out. remove the trunk lock, 2 bolts, making sure you recover and remember the position of all the washers, exp, the thick ones BELOW the shell.

Attached Files

#3 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:17 PM

now the rollbar plastic (2,5 kg!!!) liner: remove the 2 hidden 8mm bolts at the two underneath extemities, way tucked in...

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 02:18 PM.

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:20 PM

now remove the 4 bolts running underneath the 3rd stop, above the rear mirror.

Attached Files

#5 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:21 PM

from the interior (behind the speaker area) disconnect the antenna and the stoplight connector (they are behind the liner) now you can lift the plastic top, NOT before you detach the upper roof moulding that runs on it, and the bottom hard moulding surrounding the useless fake headrest. on re-assembly, you will reposition the roof moulding using silicone sealant. very strong and w-proof.

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 02:26 PM.

#6 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:32 PM

now jack-up the car, remove rear wheel and plastic liner (4 screws) and place a stand under the side to hold the car up. repeat from the other side. a safe place to rest the stand is along the longitudinal crease next to the jacking spot. otherwise under the rear susp. mount is fine. remove the 2 bolts from the inside the wheelwell, behind the side vents: (both sides)

Attached Files

#7 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:33 PM

now back below the rear window, remove two bolts holding the clam down

Attached Files

#8 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:37 PM

and now the two trickiest bolts, that took me some serious investigating to find... Imnotworthy :P they are one each side, hiding behind the roll-bar, you have to reach with the hand behind the door-pin area...

Attached Files

#9 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:38 PM

here is the hole from the other side, once the clam is out...

Attached Files

#10 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:41 PM

Great guide, Ricky! Note that "dude" has found repaired rear clams in germany for ~500 €

#11 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:47 PM

...not done yet!! here is the pain-in-the-arse part: now the cable loop is to be removed from the trunk... disconnect the 3 connectors, 2 small and one big form inside the trunk. (its on MY driver side, left. then uninstall the cluster of big fuses attached in the far end corner of the trunk. from the wheelarch, there might be screws holding the cluster down...remove'em. then disconnect the 3 big fuses, disconnect the rubber cap, separate the 3 big fuses cubes and one by one slide'em through the hole, from the trunk out inside the wheelwell. here is a pic from inside the trunk.... there is a black plastic cover over the fuses, totally useless unless you cram every inch of the trunk....such cover I left out long ago, so I do not have a pic of it.... the two small yellow connectors are the rear and fog light, so remember to reposition'em correctly...I did not, so while reversing I had the fog light gong on... :rolleyes:

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 02:49 PM.

#12 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:49 PM

here from the wheel arch: the small holes ate the ones holding down each fuse cube. also disconnect the trunk lock cable, do it from that big bundle of cables/connectors attached to the steel frame. such truck cable runs TOGHETER with the lock cable, behind the insulating liner, that need to be detached from the clam enough to pull the cable off it...

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 02:53 PM.

#13 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

now open the refill cap, pull away the refill connector+hose from INSIDE the clam. no need to remove the 6 surround screws, unless you need to repaint. place the fuel cap back. now the clam is finally free to be lifted! :D interestingly, it can be easily done w/out external help! B) grab it as the pic, and slide it backward and up...wiggle it around a bit beforehand, to make sure its loose from every angle, exp, the 2 bolts by the rear window that keep the clam hooked down.... the weight... 24 kilos! :o :P overall, not bad! I expected to be more! otoh, the damn engine lid is more than 7 kg alone!! (I have the 1kg-lexan substitute.... :P )

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 December 2003 - 03:06 PM.

#14 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:03 PM

I will add some other pic of the cable bundles.... IMPORTANT: make sure you LABEL each group of bolts/screws while you remove'em, with a clear tag where they belong, and set them in a safe and ordinate position.... otherwise you might end up scratching your head A LOT upon re-installation.... :blink:

#15 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:14 PM

Great guide, Ricky! Note that "dude" has found repaired rear clams in germany for ~500 €

I KNOW!!
on e-bay there are several offers....problem is the shipping/transportation.......argh.... :(
anybody in switzerland or france, near italy border, with a used or repaired clam? ;)

#16 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:22 PM

here is the freaky top liner on the scale....carbon replacement needed sooooon!!! :lol:

Attached Files

#17 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:34 PM

Well done, Ricky! Hey, is that your wife's breasts in the third picture down - very nice ! :D

#18 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:44 PM

Thinking about it, I'd better be careful what I say to you, Ricky. Those antenae on your head in the twelfth picture prove conclusively that your an alian! Steve

#19 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:48 PM

Well done, Ricky!

Hey, is that your wife's breasts in the third picture down - very nice ! :D

:o
man, I never relized my knuckles resemble pendulae mammary glands.... :lol:
I guess next time I... indulge with myself :rolleyes: , I'll use'em for inspiration... :groupjump:

#20 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:30 PM

Imnotworthy Ricky. Great guide. Feel tired just from looking at it :P – the stress and hassle of actually doing it would be too much for me unless I was desparate, I must admit. But I suppose it's a question of attitude – if I psyched myself up for it, I might actually enjoy it. When I take delivery of the carbon interior trim parts and start removing the old bits, I will know where to look if I get the urge to carry on taking more bits off. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users