Photo

Retrimmed My Door Panels (Not The Doorcards!)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Work, Motor Racing, Xbox, Local Pub, Motorbikes

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

Just spent the last three and a half hours retrimming my door panels in some of that faux suede. I'd previously done my roof in my old corsa in this stuff and i got on well with it. And after seeing that the stuff is on 20% sale at dunelm, how could I say no? Outstanding to do is now trim the dash which i'll be doing tomorrow, pending getting the bloody thing out.

2 metres x 1.57 metres of black faux suede fabric: £20
2 tins of evo-stick impact adhesive: £15

So here' the progress / how to pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

So both done within 3 anda half hours

Posted Image

I'm repairing my door handle triangles and painting them moonland to match my dash plates, and i'd like to get some carbon fibre door cards. The red corners will stay.

Thoughts and opinions???

#3 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

Good progress photos. thumbsup Would be good to see them finished and re-fitted to your VX.

#4 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Looks like you've done a good job there! I find it hard to tell if I like them with no door cards in tho. Are yours still in a worn silver? CF cards should look pretty good although imo black and cf dont mix. Just took my door trim out yesterday and thinking about what to do with them, this has given me some ideas :)

#5 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Looks like you've done a good job there!

I find it hard to tell if I like them with no door cards in tho. Are yours still in a worn silver? CF cards should look pretty good although imo black and cf dont mix.

Just took my door trim out yesterday and thinking about what to do with them, this has given me some ideas :)

My door cards are a worn red leather! lol. I'm repairing them from where I took them out (reads as ripped them out!) and i'll be putting them back in temporarily with velcro, once i've got my door triangles repaired and painted. CF is something i've thought long and hard about, and I think i'm definately doing it when the funds are available. And if it don't work? There's always going to be someone that wants them.

If you work from the rear (car perspective) of the door card to the front, and then fold a little lip down in by the corner, it sorta works and it's tidy enough for me B)

#6 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Liking the look of that and I think you have just given me another job to add onto the to do list. Look forward to seeing them fitted ack in the car. B)

#7 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Good job thumbsup I'm hoping to get my door panels done in Carbon Fibre soon B)

#8 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Good job thumbsup

I'm hoping to get my door panels done in Carbon Fibre soon B)

you love that CF giles ;) - going to the national? don't want to not know everyone there lol!

#9 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hmmm, dunelm mill is on the way home.
Dunelm Mill will be on the way home :D

#10 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Done the dash now :)

Posted Image

Got enough left over to do the binnacle (if i can be bothered to take it apart?) and the cup holder (if I can be bothered to take it apart?)

As we speak the door panels are back in the car. The dash will go back in tomorrow morning when the glue has cured and i've got some replacement spongey stuff to run around the edge of the hole into the heater box.

#11 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

Thoughts and opinions???

Biscuits. Nom. :lol:

As the dash is off, seal the underside of it too. The "trunking" often has a poor seal.

Edited by Ouchie, 02 June 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#12 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Seems like that material is quite a nice cheaper alternative to Alcantara and looks like it has a deep brushable knap to it. Does it have a small amount of give in it to aid stretching around stuff and if so is it directional? Did you fill the starter button hole as it looks more flush?

#13 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thoughts and opinions???

Biscuits. Nom. :lol:

As the dash is off, seal the underside of it too. The "trunking" often has a poor seal.

Love the biscuits. Ate a whole packet of choc and caramel digestives doing all this trimming!

Will do, it all looks pretty gash.

Seems like that material is quite a nice cheaper alternative to Alcantara and looks like it has a deep brushable knap to it. Does it have a small amount of give in it to aid stretching around stuff and if so is it directional?

Did you fill the starter button hole as it looks more flush?

It's pretty good yeah, doesn't look as good but it's a reasonable compromise imho. It's got a bit og give in it to pull it about a bit but you have to give respect to getting your cuts right to get it round corners neatly. It doens't matter how you lay it you can brush it any way you like. I tend to write things in it :flame: Didn't fill the starter button, just cut the hole and plugged it in. Couldn't be quite bothered with buggering about i'm gonna end up redoing it again I think at some point so wasn't soo fussed.

#14 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

you love that CF giles ;) - going to the national? don't want to not know everyone there lol!

Yes I do :D
Got a CF Binnacle now :D
Not sure about the national, if I did go it wouldn't be to track. Altho the g/f has just said she's going away for a week over that period.

You going to the Waterman on Sunday James? The cars all patched up now ;)

#15 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yes I do :D
Got a CF Binnacle now :D
Not sure about the national, if I did go it wouldn't be to track. Altho the g/f has just said she's going away for a week over that period.

You going to the Waterman on Sunday James? The cars all patched up now ;)

Same I won't track - was just gonna chat and take photos if I can steal a few pieces of glass from work.

Haven't got car - it's at MMG - but could pop along.... interested to see what Dunc has built if he is going?

Edited by jameso, 03 June 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#16 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

All done and back in the car!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quite very please. Door triangles in Moonland Grey to match dash plates still left to do, and might trim/wrap the ally lower dash to break up all that light colour up top half of the car.

#17 vx220soon

vx220soon

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

That looks great, well worth the effort, I trust your friends are as daft as mine - if so your dashboard will always be covered in drawings of a gentleman's area :lol:

#18 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

looks good, could have brushed it before taking the pics :rolleyes:

#19 Corey

Corey

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Thats looks really good! Its the kinda thing i want to do on mine, but i was thinking of real suede although i cant find any anywhere, its all faux stuff. Anyone know where can i find either real or really good faux? Was looking at black and a darkish blue, basically same colour as the dark blue vx (: Any tips on applying lol? You seem to have done a good job of it (:

#20 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Looks really good. How much do you charge :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users