• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 astravxr

astravxr

Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Would it be worth drilling a small hole where the supports attach to (where you wont be able to see) and spray some expanding foam in there?

You be the guinea pig and see. See how you go with it first, it's a fine theory in principle but whether in reality it will work...

I'll probs do it, shouldnt harm it?

#22 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

They don't flap, they wobble.

Edited by rob999, 07 December 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#23 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

you need to support the blade otherwise they are useless and flap about

Your joking? I was told off people on here who has fitted them that it seems to be fine and doesnt flap about

Every one I've seen (apart from JJJ's and VXT'EDs who've both supported the wing section) wobbles about and you can see the clam at the bottom of each leg flexing with that movement. It might minimise the wobble, if the clam is reinforced where the wing mounts.

doesnt sound good at all!! Wobbly wing, moving clam. bloody hell think im gonna make a mess drilling holes to find out its gonna look like flubber

Edited by astravxr, 07 December 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#24 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Lotus clams are all made with thicker bits where this wing mounts for this very reason.

#25 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

you need to support the blade otherwise they are useless and flap about

Your joking? I was told off people on here who has fitted them that it seems to be fine and doesnt flap about

Every one I've seen (apart from JJJ's and VXT'EDs who've both supported the wing section) wobbles about and you can see the clam at the bottom of each leg flexing with that movement. It might minimise the wobble, if the clam is reinforced where the wing mounts.

doesnt sound good at all!! Wobbly wing, moving clam. bloody hell think im gonna make a mess drilling holes to find out its gonna look like flubber

And the doubt is restored. :lol:

It's a given that you brace the underside I wouldn't have it fitted any other way.

#26 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Eh im confused now. So theres no point in fitting this unless i put supports in the middle of the wing? otherwise its gonna wobble and move the clam?

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

That and the fact it looks wrong with the roof off is why mine is still sat in the attic12 months after buying it.

#28 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

bloody hell

#29 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

Eh im confused now. So theres no point in fitting this unless i put supports in the middle of the wing? otherwise its gonna wobble and move the clam?

Look the blade is a lightweight flexible object that is not fully supported along it's length it is only natural that it is going to have some give to it when on the move. The rigidity of what is mounted here has very little baring on the stress applied at the mounting points, which IMO you would do well to reinforce by way of metal sheet layed against the underside of the boot recreating if you like the stronger area of the Exige clam.

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 07 December 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#30 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Look the blade is a lightweight flexible object that is not fully supported along it's length it is only natural that it is going to have some give to it when on the move. The rigidity of what is mounted here has very little baring on the stress applied at the mounting points, where IMO you would do well to reinforce by way of metal sheet layed against the underside of the boot recreating if you like the stronger area of the Exige clam.

I understand that but am i wasting my time? truthfully? I dont want everyone to see my wing wobbling about. I can cope with the fact it might move a tiny bit due to how light it is and theres nothing to keep it up in the middle but i dont think i want it on my car if everyones going to point and laugh at a wobbly wing lol. I will make some sort of metal L shape and wedge it in the boot where the supports will be if that will help

#31 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

deltadeano has made 2 adjustable stainless mounts to fit under the blade of the wing,i think he will stick some pics up this weekend it will be that sturdy when we have finished vanessa feltz could have a party on it!!

#32 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

No way im putting supports in the middle of the wing, imo it will look silly. So can you see the wing wobble if your driving behind that person? And at what speed does it start to wobble?

#33 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

About 27mph upwards. Seriously....80% of VX's have diffusers that make sod all difference in general. Fit it, enjoy. The end.

#34 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Simple question, can you see the wobble from behind or anywhere? People look at the VX and think thats a nice car but to see it with a wing thats bouncing up and down it will just make people laugh. If you cant see the wing bouncing up and down then i'll fit it but if you can then i'll just sell it, why would anyone want people to see a wing bouncing around, might aswell undo some wheel bolts aswell to let that wobble about

#35 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

No way im putting supports in the middle of the wing, imo it will look silly. So can you see the wing wobble if your driving behind that person? And at what speed does it start to wobble?

the blade will reverb at speed no matter what you do to the clam,the clam is plenty strong enough,the problem is the strength of the blade,the air will push down on the blade pulling the supports toward each other,for this to stop you need to support the blade,without doing this these wings are sh**.
the strength of the clam isnt the prob here

#36 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Ok, so do you actually see the wing bounce about? So if you were sitting behind me you'd see my wing doing aerobics?

#37 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

I've seen a wing flap about and thought it looked very silly. I giggled and made a comment to my mate that that person must be a tool and I thought less of him for it. That good enough? :dry: If you'd of done your research you'd of found that these wings 'WILL' move at high speeds and need something inside the boot to support the thing. For the spoiler to do anything to the cars dynamics you 'WILL' need struts in the middle and the angle of the wing would IMO need changing

#38 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yes, you can see it wobble from a car behind if you specifically look for it. Just as you can when sat in the car itself. I'm sure most people wouldn't notice and if they did, I'd be more worried that they were going to end up in the boot of the car, than what they thought of the wing.

#39 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

I had one on for ages and was very happy with it. Small bracing in the boot in the shape of a couple of ally plates ( I never did) to stop the flex, fit the mid supports that VXT'ED has. Perfect and looks like it should be thre. If not, the wobble won't make people laugh and point and sh**.

#40 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

You do indeed see the wobble from behind. I think its because the angle of the wing is all wrong. The exige clam slopes down by the time it gets to the wing mounts, where as ours is flat, maybe sloping up slightly. Thats why the angle isn't right, and probably contributes to the flap. the uprights are very oem looking though. PS. A lot of other wings wobble too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users