#1 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

warning to all elise/exige/europa owners/potential owners

Guys

this is a copy of my posting from pistonheads, just to get it to as many people as possible

just as a warning, get this checked as soon as possible and talk to your dealers, the front suspension mounts on your car may well not be safe

When lotus built the elise and subsequent models they chose to use steel wishbones and to adjust the suspension steel washers as spacers, this is a practice no other manufacturer of aluminium cars has used, all going to aluminium suspension components

The steel washers rust when wet this then sets up an electrolytic reaction with the ali in the chassis, this causes the suspension mounts to corrode, this is most obvious at the upper mounting where the aluminium is thinnest, which results in what has happened to me, the suspension mounting point fails, at the edge of the mounting bush

Posted Image|http://thumbsnap.com/v/m9A2EeLK.jpg

This is not just one side, when they checked the other side they found the same problem. For reference i am the only owner of this car, it has never been crashed or even tracked.

The chassis is not repairable, so when this happens your car is dead, unless you want to spend 5k on a new chassis and the time and expense of changing all the components over, which will cost more then the car is worth, so not cost effective. If you just replace it, the replacement will have the same potential problem.

This is of coarse worse when the car gets wet, but the suspension mounts are exposed so they're the first to get wet and the last to dry out, i would be amazed if anything short of keeping it in a heated dehumidified garage would keep them dry.

Lotus of coarse have washed their hands of the problem, the cars are too old, they have your cash now, it's not their problem, they seem unwilling to explain the use of materials and why their own advice about the contact between steel and aluminium as outlined in the handbook has been ignored

The result of this, is that the unrepairable chassis is in effect a consumable product, when the suspension points have corroded the car is gone

The suspension point ripping out is a common cause of the cars being written off, the question that must be asked is if these failed because they had already partially corroded converting what would have ben a repair into a write off. The mounting points themselves are under most load when cornering, if they failed pre crash, the change in geometry may well be the cause of the crash itself.

I would implore you to get the points checked at your dealers, and to at least change the washers, the bad news is if the corrosion is there, there is nothing else that can be done, despite a repair solution being offered to lotus, they have decided it would not be safe, as you can't have stainless steel and ali in close proximity ( except when they do it, with mild steel)

If you are looking at buying one, get this checked beforehand as it dwarfs head gasket or any other problems, sorry but this is going to have a serious effect on used values. Mine is 11 years old, but knowing what I know now i wouldn't touch one that was 10 years old or older, and i would seriously question buying one more then 5 years old

I think the fact they they seem to have been aware of this, but choose to use mild steel rather then stainless steel washers on the suspension destroys any myths about "lotus engineering" this is a case of them saving a few pence per car.... I hope they dont mind but ive copy and pasted whats been mentioned on seloc just in case people dont have acces.

http://forums.seloc....d=245485&page=1

Edited by robin, 08 January 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#2 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Honestly I think a lot of cars are impacted, but you cannot see the early signs of this without cleaning the area correctly, and there's no reason anyone servicing the car will correctly clean and check for this, so I'm sure a lot of cars are running with these early signs without knowing...

an example on a year 2000 111S Millenium I have at the workshop these days

With some cleaning
Posted Image

From the inside, with some cleaning still to do
Posted Image
Posted Image

With some light to see the small perforation
Posted Image

and the ugly caster shims...

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

worth a read and check if your doing any suspension checks etc just thought it was worth a mention i spray all my suspension in acf50 which i recomend to people.

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Its not the rusting of the inserts that causes the corrosion of the tub, its a normal gavanic corrosion. it should be prevented by the glue, so i suspect its a breakdown of that.

#5 Scotty 22

Scotty 22

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

So are Stainless steel washers ok or is another material needed? Cheers Scott

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Stainless would have the same problem. And you can't change them anyway.

#7 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

when i rebuilt mine i used corrosion grease and spray with acf50 so with them both on i hope to eliminate this happening

#8 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Could a vx have a similar problem or is it different in some way ?

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Exactly the same

#10 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Exactly the same

Oh dear worth a check then.

Caster shims,are they the ones that get changed when you have a geo set up or am I thinking of other shims ? (not to well up on this sorry)

#11 Ben NA

Ben NA

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I haven't read through the whole Seloc thread but it's 6 pages long and has been going on for 2 years since the first post. Doesn't seem "that" common considering the number of elise/Vx220's/elise variants produced since 1997 but worth checking out

#12 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm sure I first saw that first photo (or similar) a long time ago. :unsure: PS I think I am also right in saying that despite frequent references to the first person, OP is quoting someone else's posts from SELOC in both substantive posts. AAMOI do you have first hand experience?

Edited by VIX, 09 January 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#13 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

I checked mine today and no sign of any problems

#14 Ben NA

Ben NA

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

What's required to do the check? Jack up, suspension off top mount, clean washer and box section inspect and reassemble??

#15 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

my front clam was off so i had a good visual check of all the front section, if you want to be even more rigerous undo the bolts and check it again (mine was off late last year with no signs of problems)

#16 Kev S

Kev S

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

To add to the doom and gloom this can also happen where the engine subframe mounts to the chassis :mellow:
Mine will be checked for this next time it's in for service with Steve Guglielmi as he has seen this on a VX

#17 chrisgold

chrisgold

pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Posted Image

Why cant you fix it? Why cant you just weld/ bolt / bond (you catch my drift) A completely new mounting point in??? To say something cant be fixed seems a bit daft to me....

Its corroded, so cut it out and weld or bolt a new plate in and make it stronger? Am I being stupid here? Just seems common sense to me? Surely you could fix it, Yeh, it would not look the same, but it would do the job??? :poke:

#18 Kev S

Kev S

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not sure what's going on with the bold txt

#19 rsdub

rsdub

• PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:kart racing,being happy

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

Why cant you fix it? Why cant you just weld/ bolt / bond (you catch my drift) A completely new mounting point in??? To say something cant be fixed seems a bit daft to me....

Its corroded, so cut it out and weld or bolt a new plate in and make it stronger? Am I being stupid here? Just seems common sense to me? Surely you could fix it, Yeh, it would not look the same, but it would do the job??? :poke:

must agree.i read the thread on seloc and thought then,unrepairable,new chassis.hmmmm!!!

#20 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users