Reverse Light Bulb Blown...maybe

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hello all, When reversing it seems awfully dark back there, can't see a thing. Reverse light must have gone. Does anyone know what bulb I need and how much of a pain it is to change please? Thanks

#2 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

Andrew sure I have a spare bulb floating around but if not there is a local halfrauds now open off London road which list the bulbs etc ;) As easy as twisting the the casing and remove bulb from inside the boot. Just call if you need to DG

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Sure the bulb is a 382, could be wrong or really sad I remember lol

#4 dannynewport

dannynewport

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Cars obviously. Train in MMA/Japanese Jiu Jitsu (More traditional style of BJJ), previously Karate, Ninjitsu & Krav Maga.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hello all,
When reversing it seems awfully dark back there, can't see a thing. Reverse light must have gone. Does anyone know what bulb I need and how much of a pain it is to change please?
Thanks

Duncan is right,it is a simple 382 bulb but remember that there is only one reverse light on the passenger side (thats why it's probably dark),the driver side is housing the fog light. I thought I had a drivers side one out when I first bought mine until I went to change it too.

#5 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. Your incredibly speedy responses are much appreciated.

#6 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

Swap bulb with fog light buld to check blown first. Mine was out due to the connector in the engine bay coming lose, was a right PITA until I found a wiring diagram as I was almost changing the switch in to the gear box.

#7 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Swap bulb with fog light buld to check blown first. Mine was out due to the connector in the engine bay coming lose, was a right PITA until I found a wiring diagram as I was almost changing the switch in to the gear box.

That's interesting to know as I've checked the fuses in the boot and changed the bulb and I still have no reverse light. What next please?

I did notice that the big red '50' fuse in the boot was half out of the socket. Pushed that one back in now. Still nothing.

#8 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

I also noticed my reverse light not working on monday, was planning on looking at it over the weekend. Will keep an eye on here to see how you get on thumbsup

#9 jammer

jammer

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

HI, Mine went the over day, swapped the bulbs over and checked the fuses but both were ok. Ended up being the reversing light switch which goes into the gearbox. Best Regards

#10 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

HI,

Mine went the over day, swapped the bulbs over and checked the fuses but both were ok. Ended up being the reversing light switch which goes into the gearbox.

Best Regards

Check all the cables first (I did not see the broken connection for a while) if it is not that, then it will be the switch. I think you can try fixing the switch, but someone that has done this before will be along soon I am sure :)

#11 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Thanks everyone. Still not sorted because I'm a numpty. I don't suppose anyone's got a photo of the Turbo gearbox with an arrow pointing out the reverse light switch so I can try the WD40 suggestion please?

#12 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Andrew stalk me later ;) can pop over any evening other than Monday or Wed if you need me to have a look DG

#13 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

Had the same problem, mine was the reverse light switch. thumbsup

#14 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

Must be the season for it! I had the same problem and it turned out to be the switch had become loose (found it was loose after buying a spare :beat: ) - easy visual check to see if it is loose is by looking at the wires that attach to the switch - if they are all twisted up then they could of wound up as the switch undid itself...

#15 vxr36

vxr36

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have the same problem. Is there a picture of the switch position, please?

#16 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well, haven't got a picture but on the VXT look directly below the gearshift linkage to the box by about 6"- look for a wiring spur of two wires going towards there. Dead easy to get to from the passenger side rear wheel arch. Number 16 on parts book picture below
(looking from bulkhead side in picture)
Posted Image

#17 vxr36

vxr36

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thank you. Will check it this weekend.

#18 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

Popping round to sort for Andrew tongiht so will see if I can get a half decent pick - will be dark :( Andrew has got a new reverse sensor just in casae. Will make sure he updates my finding tomorrow ;) DG

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Popping round to sort for Andrew tongiht so will see if I can get a half decent pick - will be dark :( Andrew has got a new reverse sensor just in casae.

Will make sure he updates my finding tomorrow ;)

DG

I've got the engine out of the car at the moment and even then I couldn't see the switch on the gearbox to get a decent picture last night.

#20 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

Popping round to sort for Andrew tongiht so will see if I can get a half decent pick - will be dark :( Andrew has got a new reverse sensor just in casae.

Will make sure he updates my finding tomorrow ;)

DG

I've got the engine out of the car at the moment and even then I couldn't see the switch on the gearbox to get a decent picture last night.

:D feel a challenge to get a decent pick now lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users