14 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

What options are there for us Turbo folks, and are any of them any good..? I know the VXR originally came with a fancy filter, but it kept destroying the AMM's so what alternatives are there?

#2 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

What options are there for us Turbo folks, and are any of them any good..?

I know the VXR originally came with a fancy filter, but it kept destroying the AMM's so what alternatives are there?

I've got the itg panel filter but I still haven't got round to fitting it although I have heard nothing but good reports!

Alot of people fit a K&N panel filter and give them good reviews.

From what I've heard it slightly improves airflow and you will get a much better induction noise!

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

Jimmy, might be worth a PM to IanRM. If my memory serves me right, he's been running an ITG filter in his for some time without any AMM issues.

#4 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Had a k and n panel filter in mine for about 8 months now, no problems (touches wood)

#5 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

BMC CDA carbon airbox. Been on my car for 4 or 5 years now (although not done many miles) and no AMM failures. I had 2 failures with the Courtenay foam filter (same as the VXR filter) in the standard airbox. It is an enclosed cone filter, but the filter material seems to be paper based rather than gauze or foam so may be better at stopping water getting through?? Fitted with the inlet hose pointing down and slightly backwards to avoid picking up too much water from spray through the side vent, otherwise it has been plug and play. From Scotland so it has been out the wet quite a few times :D It's pretty loud though, so you may need to give it some thought if doing track days where noise limits are marginal. I didn't fit mine for the noise btw... I relocated the ECU to the bulkhead and there wasn;t enough room for the standard airbox.

Edited by garyk220, 23 February 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#6 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Had a K&N Panel filter in my Stage 2 VXT did 20k never had any problems whatsoever thumbsup

#7 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Watch this space! Currently building a DG spec oe box using the ITG foam filter (works fine if not over oiled) some major sugury on it and a big bad full replacement airbox with Dave H using a massive ITG cone filter. Test will be alloy or GRP and maybe even go all carbon ITG panel filter will flow 438bhp but this is not the restriction of the oe setup and due to the large surface area of the panel is more than upto the job of 300bhp sepc vxt's ITG designed an air box replacement some time ago but due to unstable AMM never sold it (seen the kit) to get the most out of either of the boxes I will be testing a CS soon will be for using the 80mm AMM I will also be machining some trumpets to sit on the AMM to remove the step (think to what Daggles did for the turbo intake), it has gone to this sad level lol Never great with getting pics uploaded but will try some build pics and certainly the results DG

#8 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Subject of thought about K&N and OEM filter :

Posted Image

Moreover a microscopic view of K&N structure is amazing : holes of 0,4 mm

:unsure:

#9 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

Paper filter is the best for dust / dirt retention. Variers depending on diff foam / other options out there. Even ITG have different grades. Like all performance bits - usually need extra servicing / more regular checking Not a massive fan of the K&N tbh DG

#10 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

thats amazing!

So is there enough filtration @ .4mm ?

Subject of thought about K&N and OEM filter :

Posted Image

Moreover a microscopic view of K&N structure is amazing : holes of 0,4 mm

#11 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

thats why you need the oil ;) 0.4mm sounds large though :o

#12 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

interesting link here http://www.duramax-d...picer/index.htm and here http://www.bobistheo...er/airtest2.htm Upshot is K+N s worth about 1.5 inches of h2o - or less than .1psi! :rolleyes: Stick with OEM imo thumbsup thumbsup

#13 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

Paul as you know the airbox / filter is never going to give the biggest gains on a turbo motor. What there is though is pressure drop between the intake / oulet of the filter which can have more of an effect on the bigger powered / higher boost cars. As already stated teh size of the panel filter is VERY big for the surface area and its the other areas that can be improved on. I will take a new oe filter also and if time run this on the rollers throttle response is prob the biggest improvement and prob 1bhp :D

#14 Ben Cole

Ben Cole

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

A sheet of solid metal would be even better. It'd would stop 100% of dirt...it'd cause a small power loss though as it doesn't flow much air.

Of course that's just a facetious remark to make a point. That being that the K+N flows a lot more air. As long as the K+N is efficient enough as a filter then surely there's no problem? Very small particles wouldn't cause an issue would they?

I think the main issue with using the K+N is the oil fouling the MAF. I haven't tried a K+N (on my VXT)but it sounds unlikely that there'd be any problems to me.

For reference in the past I have run a K+N on my Mk.2 Golf for around 30k, my E46 BMW for 20k, my KVVC Rover coupe for around 30k.....all with no problems.

#15 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

The problem with these kind of filters is that they increase the airflow, but for a short period ...

It is fine, for a ponctual performance, but on a long term period these kind of filters reduce the life expectancy of your engine ...

Each time you wash it you reduce again its filtration ability, which is already lesser than an OEM filter.

My own strategy for this matter : I replace my OEM filter every 5000 km.

:sleep:

FYI I found again microscopic views of OEM and K&N filters

After to see these photos, it's up to you !
But you can't said you don't know ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

:blink:

Edited by chris, 24 February 2010 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users