My Central Locking Doesn'T

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JiffyHelper

JiffyHelper

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

I have a VXT that has taken to refusing to lock. The alarm arms but the doors don't lock, the pins give a little twitch but nothing more. I can push the pins down manually and the door locks OK but not remotely or with the switch on the steering column. I'm a bit stuck now because there isn't anywhere to stick the key to lock manually. Any ideas? Phil.

#2 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

I have the same problem! apparently there is a battery for the c/l in the top left corner of the engine bay, it's a little black box, i haven't changed mine yet, haven't driven the vx much since I bought my new car!

#3 JiffyHelper

JiffyHelper

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, I'll go and have a look. The doors will centrally unlock, however, so it must have some power. Phil

#4 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

The little battery in the rear is a backup. It's activated by holding the 'secret' number plate button so you can unlock the car with the remote should the main battery be flat.

#5 JiffyHelper

JiffyHelper

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

Ah well maybe not that then. The main battery is brand new and the doors will unlock.

#6 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

I have a VXT that has taken to refusing to lock. The alarm arms but the doors don't lock, the pins give a little twitch but nothing more.

I can push the pins down manually and the door locks OK but not remotely or with the switch on the steering column.

I'm a bit stuck now because there isn't anywhere to stick the key to lock manually.

Any ideas?

Phil.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I thought it was better than starting a fresh.

My car has develped the exact same problem. Can anybody help with how to fix it?

I also found this other thread >HERE< but that's the opposite of my problem. It talks about replacing the CDL module under the dash. Not sure if that could be it?

If I push the door pin down manually to lock then the remote or the steering column switch will unlock it ok. Would I be doing any harm pushing the button down to lock it in the meantime as there feels like some resistance there?

chinky chinky

#7 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

There is a little black disc covering up the lock on the drivers door. Peel it away and hey presto you'll find a normal lock for the door. thumbsup Took me about 5 years before I discovered this. :lol:

Edited by Wolfstone, 03 April 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#8 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Any more ideas would be welcome. Cheers.

#9 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

Can anybody help? Cheers.

#10 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

NAs don't have this problem thumbsup

#11 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

NAs don't have this problem thumbsup

Thanks for the advise :rolleyes:

#12 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

Sorry to bump but hoping somebody has some help to offer. Thanks a lot.

#13 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

It does sound like the CDL module is not working properly to me

#14 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:01 AM

It does sound like the CDL module is not working properly to me

Thanks a lot for the reply. I've seen them around £51 any idea if possible to get one cheaper, seems a bit steep? Maybe a vauxhall part number instead of the Lotus one is available?

That's assuming it is this part that's at fault. Looks like a bit of a pita to change though as the whole dash has to be taken to pieces according to the other thread link.

chinky chinky

#15 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Well if you want to rule everything else out it may be worth taking the door cards off one door and checking the wiring. As far as I recall, the CDL just swaps the polarity of two wires to the lock motor if it is a two wire motor, or if three wire there is a common, lock and unlock feed. Just check with a multimeter that power is getting to the motors, and that the correct polarity/ wire has power when locking/unlocking. TIS is your friend for a wiring diagram :)

#16 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

Well if you want to rule everything else out it may be worth taking the door cards off one door and checking the wiring. As far as I recall, the CDL just swaps the polarity of two wires to the lock motor if it is a two wire motor, or if three wire there is a common, lock and unlock feed. Just check with a multimeter that power is getting to the motors, and that the correct polarity/ wire has power when locking/unlocking. TIS is your friend for a wiring diagram :)

Thanks for the info. I don't have a multimeter but maybe I can find a mate with one to test it for me.

chinky chinky

#17 Elvis8myburger

Elvis8myburger

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I have the same problem, car wont lock from the fob after changing both batteries. Did you manage to fix it with the CDL change in the end?

#18 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have the same problem, car wont lock from the fob after changing both batteries. Did you manage to fix it with the CDL change in the end?

Yes got a new cdl module. Luckily off a lotus guy who bought the part but had traded his car before fitting so got it new still sealed in the lotus bag. Think cost me the bargain price of £20.

Most interestly I had the idea to try it (& my expert car fixing mate managed) to change it through the light switch opening without all the dash take apart mullarky that everybody says is needed. I have had to leave the original in there as its bolted down but such a small unit weighs nothing extra. We stuck the new one on top of the original. Job done in 10 mins & working again a treat.

Hope that helps :)

#19 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Cdl module fixed mine too

#20 Elvis8myburger

Elvis8myburger

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Gents. I'll pick one up.....now to search the Lotus or Vauxhall websites for the best prices. I'll let you know how it pans out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users