New Hardtops

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

I've been working on this for the last few months and am just about to commission the first batch of new hardtops. The roofs can be supplied in matt white ready to paint yourself or can be painted for you. They will be unlined as per the original NA hardtops (I may look at doing linings in the future but they should be easy to do yourself) and are GRP EXACT copies of the original roof. I'm just finalising tooling and production costs but anticipate them being around £450 unpainted and £600 painted so nearly half what they have previously been available for. The first batch is for ten units so if you want first dibs drop me a pm. The unpainted ones should be available in a couple of weeks with the painted ones as soon as my sprayer can get them painted. Colour matching can't be 100% guaranteed of course due to the age of VX's and fading paint etc. Most of the time they should be ok according to my sprayer. Postage will be £30 (slightly more for Europe) or you can pick up from Wakefield. I have asked about carbon fibre but you are looking at £1000!! Any Questions let me know.

Edited by jonnyboy, 19 October 2010 - 06:11 AM.

#2 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Good on you and good luck with this, I look forward to seeing one on a car near me soon.

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

I'd be interested but I'd like to see one fitted first. Do you have a prototype?

#4 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

This is great news. Would love a hard top partly for winter comfort but also VXs look so good with them fitted. With certain unique parts becoming rare and expensive we are going to need enterprising folks like yourself to keep the parts supply going. When is someone going to start making clamshells for a sensible price?

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

They will be unlined as per the original NA hardtops (I may look at doing linings in the future but they should be easy to do yourself) and are GRP EXACT copies of the original roof.

When you say unlined, do you mean a bare GRP or gelcoat finish on the inside? NA roofs are lined, despite rumours to the contrary. They have a moulded black plastic lining as opposed to the plastic liner being trimmed in some hairy fairy material for the turbo hard top.

Will it have all of the necessary fixings and OEM (or even better Imnotworthy ) seals installed and ready to go?

Will be interested to see one when they're done as if there is no lining, it might mean some extra headroom and might mean I can use a hardtop and a helmet at the same time, on track. Good luck. thumbsup

When the time comes, be very very careful about the packaging and shipping. I think Muncher had no end of grief with his aftermarket roofs getting damaged during shipping by dozy couriers.

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

When is someone going to start making clamshells for a sensible price?

MVS already are making them.

#7 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

In answer to the questions they are a two piece item so you have a moulded roof top and a bottom part which is bonded to the top. The underneath will be either matt black or painted in the colour of the top. It's a "finished" surface anyway so it looks presentable. As mentioned above you do get a small amount of additional head room doing it this way. They will cone with OEM seals either Lotus or Vauxhall I'm not using any off the shelf Heath Robinson type solution for the seals as I think they are a crucial part to get right. They will come with the fixings. I'm trying to decide the best fixing method as I've seen the fixings done in 3 or 4 different ways now. The fixings probably won't be the sane as OEM as they would be too expensive to get made up for such low volumes. I've found a good way to ship them too but they will always go out fully insured anyway.

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

thumbsup

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Oh I dont have a prototype as such as it's basically just the OEM hardtop but I will post pics of the first completed one as soon as I can.

#10 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Oh I dont have a prototype as such as it's basically just the OEM hardtop but I will post pics of the first completed one as soon as I can.

You will probably have an order from me when I see the pics.

Cheers.

#11 Speedy4Fun

Speedy4Fun

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Interested, see PM.

#12 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Good luck, getting them right can be easier said than done. If you are using Vauxhall seals, be aware they are pretty damn expensive. I think for a new set of seals from Lotus you're looking at £130 odd. From experience there's no way I'd pack them and ship them for £30. The wood for the crates to ship them in alone costs £10 even before they are made or posted.

Edited by Muncher, 19 October 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#13 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

I have quite a nifty solution for the postage :)

#14 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Something with airbags? The owls from Harry Potter are redundant now and if memory serves, they were pretty quick too :lol:

#15 james12345

james12345

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'd be interested, would love to see some pics first though.

#16 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have quite a nifty solution for the postage :)

Bags of expanding foam? They will get dropped right onto the corner by the couriers, which I don't think anything other than a crate or OEM spec polystyrene will help with.

#17 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

Just an update on this I will have pics of the first one that is being trial fitted to my car next Saturday. I have all the seals and brackets so will be able to dispatch the first roofs in about 2 weeks if you want an unpainted one. The limiting factor looks like its going to be supply of the brackets. I have 6 sets but I bought all of Lotus UK's stock of one of the brackets! I may have to look at getting my own made up if lotus dont restock soon but I'll keep an eye on the situation. Getting the lotus ones just made it easier for me thats all. The prices mentioned above look to be correct. Should be a good buy considering the Carbon one thats on ebay at £800 at the moment!

#18 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Decent cheap option would be to have an unfinished one and carbon wrap it maybe? J

#19 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

I might be able to get the outer skin done with a carbon look finish but the real thing would probably be preferable. I'll have a mould to use anyway although the supplier I'm using looked scared when I mentioned doing carbon!

#20 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

Regarding the brackets that are in short supply. If you send me a drawing I'll get them made and you can have them for cost plus postage for the first batch. As stated above we are going to face shortages of various spares in the future - therefore we are going to have to start making them ourselves. If you cannot get a drawing together then send me one of these precious brackets and I'll get it copied. If you don't trust carriers then I can meet you half way. You're in Wakefield? I live in Derby but will be visiting Barlborough on Saturday.... Part of my job is getting weird and wonderful fabrications produced at the best price/quality. I get all kinds of stuff made from a few grams to many tonnes, bent, welded and riveted fabrications are never a problem. To be honest if there was a drawing available there would be no problem getting the whole hardtop made in aluminium. Best regards, Paul

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users