Splitter Fitted...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:DIY Mechanic, CPFC, Food & Drink, Travel,Cannonball Run Europe.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

I hope you dont mind me postind a seperate 'How to...' thread (I know there is atleast one other on the site) but I was so happy with the result I thought I'd share it with you. :)

Here's how it looks out of the bag
Posted Image

Trim off the small 'lips' on the 'pegs' so it sit flush with the underside of the car
Posted Image

Cut off the 2 centre sections, these sit behind the number plate so arn't seen anyway
Posted Image

Centre the splitter in place and hold with gaffer tape
Posted Image

Drill 2 6mm holes to fix the corners of the centre section down neatly
Posted Image

This is what they look like when they're riveted in place. The rivets are strong and I used 5 on each side. I used the original turbo splitter holes where I could and drilled a couple of extras.
Posted Image

Halfrauds 6mm plastic closed end rivets did the job well
Posted Image

Underside
Posted Image

I trimmed the ends (using strong scissors!) flush with the wheel arch
Posted Image

JOB DONE chinky chinky
Posted Image

#2 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

thumbsup Looks good what car is the splitter from?

#3 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

thumbsup Looks good what car is the splitter from?

Seat Leon Cupra, just go into your local SEAT dealer and ask for a : 1ML805903 Pay no more than £25 including VAT!

#4 zx9rjason

zx9rjason

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Does is actually improve downforce at the front? Mine is still standard and want to add a diffuser to the rear soon, but I feel I need more donwforce at the front not rear! Obviously it needs 60mph plus to start working presumably?

#5 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Does is actually improve downforce at the front? Mine is still standard and want to add a diffuser to the rear soon, but I feel I need more donwforce at the front not rear!

Obviously it needs 60mph plus to start working presumably?

Unless your rear diffuser sticks at least a foot out the back and the front one 10 inches at the front AND your car is a maximum 4 inches off the ground Im pretty sure that there are no advantages to be had from any non-motorsport aero add-ons apart from the fact that they look cool! B)

#6 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Looks great! Also well done on showing me the Halfords Trim Panel Rivits, I need some of them, was wondering where to get them,  chinky chinky

#7 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Seat Leon Cupra, just go into your local SEAT dealer and ask for a : 1ML805903 Pay no more than £25 including VAT!

Looks really good thumbsup

How long did in total did it take you to fit it?

#8 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Looks really good thumbsup

How long did in total did it take you to fit it?

Thanks :) Took about 3 hours. All you need is a very strong/sharp pair of scissors (I used kitchen ones!), a tape measure, 6mm drill, plastic rivets, some gaffer tape and that's about it! You have to jack the car up so you can get underneath it. I've read threads where you're told that you will need to warm up the bend on the splitter to make it fit easier in a hot bath or heat gun but it didn't find that necessary and I did the job on my own!

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Does is actually improve downforce at the front? Mine is still standard and want to add a diffuser to the rear soon, but I feel I need more donwforce at the front not rear!

Unless your rear diffuser sticks at least a foot out the back and the front one 10 inches at the front AND your car is a maximum 4 inches off the ground Im pretty sure that there are no advantages to be had from any non-motorsport aero add-ons apart from the fact that they look cool! B)

i don't see lots of aeroplane falling out of the sky, so I think we can safely assume these do work.

#10 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

i don't see lots of aeroplane falling out of the sky, so I think we can safely assume these do work.

Sorry, I dont really know what you mean? Ok, the down force wings on the back make some difference but I cant see what lip spoilers & non-motorsport diffusers really add to down force on our cars, They're just too short at the front and back and most of our cars ride height is too high from the ground to make any difference.

But then again, I know absolutely nothing about the physics of it all so if they do work then that's great! :)

Edited by Lordbenny, 14 November 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

i think this link gives a nice easy to understand explaination http://www.racecar-e...-explained.html

#12 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

But then again, I know absolutely nothing about the physics of it all so if they do work then that's great!

As long as the air pressure pushing down on the splitter (when driving fast) isn't enought to make it fall off. :rolleyes:

#13 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

i think this link gives a nice easy to understand explaination

http://www.racecar-e...-explained.html

When I said "absolutely nothing" I do realise that the front lip spoiler needs to be attached to the leading edge of the car and that it protrudes as far as possible so that as much of the air flows over the car as possible, the same at the back. I also realise that for this system to really work your car needs to be a maximum of 50mm from the floor. Totally impracticle for road cars!

#14 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

I have remade new mounting points for the diffuser to the subframe, to allow me to quickly adjust the height in the pitlane. For track I run it at 60mm on the step.

Posted Image

#15 zx9rjason

zx9rjason

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Well looks like a good mod to me, with or without dramtic effects to downforce....I may have a go at doing this myself! chinky chinky

#16 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Whilst I understand that diffusers are supposed to be as close to the ground as possible, I can't help but think that moving them closer to the road/surface away from the body of the car is going to make very little difference. My understanding of them is that they create lower pressure, forcing/sucking air out from under the car. I recently read the Competition Car Aerodynamics book and it would seem the angle of the diffuser compared to the angle of the underside of the car is what made the difference to how effective it was(creating a bigger void for air leaving the underside of the car to fill). The fact that the diffuser is closer to the ground, reducing the angle of effectiveness of the diffuser surely will just mean that the underbody of the car is longer and there is no lower pressure area for the air to evacuate into. Forgive my ramblings as I have had a couple of beers and the book is now wrapped for it's intended recipient as a Christmas gift and I cant re-read it any more. Edit, followed a link to this page so apologies for the crazy thread resurrection, if that is the case!

Edited by sford, 21 December 2011 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users