Rain Shield?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 chetwin

chetwin

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:20 AM

Had the rain cover fitted on my turbo recently. It took me several calls to customer services, and quite a bit of badgering of the dealer to finally get it fitted. The dealer initially denied there was such a mod, then wanted to charge £200 for it.

#22 BARDS

BARDS

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

I have a 01 N/A

It’s been out in the rain a few times at work. Is it worth getting those 'getbadass' covers?

http://www.getbadass.com/vx220.htm

I don’t want to experience the dreaded Engine Management light scenario, on a cold December morning!

there is a separate issue with turbos due to the ecu location and the design of the cam cover.

i have the badass cover as i have had my na fcuk up. money well spent thumbsup

to my knowledge, it is a warranty issue, get vxl to do it NOW.

any turbot owners care to add further comment?

i've had SO many problems with water ingress on my vx i will be BUYING a turbo rain cover and having it fitted a well as the badass cover, just to be sure.

on properly designed cars, the problem is avoided with bonnet! :beat:

I asked why and they said it was not needed on my car

to be read as; "we forgot/ couldn't be bothered" ?

my cars only a few weeks old and by this kit do you mean the bit of plastic under the boot/engine lid which stops the water running into the spark plug area then it came as standard on mine,Geoff.

#23 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

The "water deflector" is basically just a thin steel plate with a few bends and screw holes - I don't think it would be that difficult to make one yourself (instead of paying XXX pounds for it). I would be happy to provide all dimensions, if someone is to try to manufacture one on their own ;)

Attached Files

#24 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

I have a 01 N/A

It’s been out in the rain a few times at work. Is it worth getting those 'getbadass' covers?

I don’t want to experience the dreaded Engine Management light scenario, on a cold December morning!

there is a separate issue with turbos due to the ecu location and the design of the cam cover.

i've had SO many problems with water ingress on my vx i will be BUYING a turbo rain cover and having it fitted a well as the badass cover, just to be sure.

my cars only a few weeks old and by this kit do you mean the bit of plastic under the boot/engine lid which stops the water running into the spark plug area then it came as standard on mine,Geoff.

Hmm, just read the topic again...
BARDS, is the deflector on your car really made out of plastic ???

#25 BARDS

BARDS

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

I have a 01 N/A

Hmm, just read the topic again...
BARDS, is the deflector on your car really made out of plastic ???

hiya dont really no if its plastic or not,just thought it must be,maby its metal my cars at my girlfriends at the moment il have a look on friday and let you no,Geoff.

#26 Eminator

Eminator

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

The "water deflector" is basically just a thin steel plate with a few bends and screw holes - I don't think it would be that difficult to make one yourself (instead of paying XXX pounds for it). I would be happy to provide all dimensions, if someone is to try to manufacture one on their own 

That would be ace if you could do that. I am looking into doing this as mine had the water ingress problem (NA). The badass ones look great but wont stop the problem I had. If you could do this mate I would really appreciate it.

Mark.

#27 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

The "water deflector" is basically just a thin steel plate with a few bends and screw holes - I don't think it would be that difficult to make one yourself (instead of paying XXX pounds for it). I would be happy to provide all dimensions, if someone is to try to manufacture one on their own 

That would be ace if you could do that. I am looking into doing this as mine had the water ingress problem (NA). The badass ones look great but wont stop the problem I had. If you could do this mate I would really appreciate it.

Mark.

No problem thumbsup

I will measure the whole thing (incl. the screws and bolts) and post it here in a couple of days, along with some pictures, detailed descriptions and some suggestions - I was actually thinking about doing a new one myself in aluminum as replacement for the original steel plate ;)

#28 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

Saber, how is the aerotwin upgrade coming on? :) ;)

#29 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

Had mine fitted under warranty last week!

#30 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

Saber, how is the aerotwin upgrade coming on? :) ;)

Hi, I haven't gotten any further :lol:
Well, I know that the courrier has left the package with the wiper blade with one of my neighbours, but I haven't been able to get hold of her (or the package) for the last couple of days :rolleyes:
I will hopefully get it today - seems like fall has finally set in here in the northern part of Germany - it's been raining a lot lately :( .
I will post an update in the other thread - soon :lol:

#31 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hi,
I just had a look at TIS - and I found some goodies :P

Field Remedy: 1698
Subject: Engine cover - Water ingress
Models: Engines: Option:
Speedster 2003,VX220 2003 Z20LET,Z20LET 
Complaint: Corrosion of spark plugs / ignition malfunction.
Cause: Humidity in spark shaft.
Production: As of VIN W0L0EBR973N007192 (05 November 2003) a water deflector is installed at plant to the underside of the hood.

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint install a water deflector to the underside of
the hood.
Note:

- The water deflector has to be installed into the groove of the hood on
      the right side.
    - The holes for fastening of water deflector have to be drilled into the
      outer bar of the groove only.
    - When mounting the water deflector, take care that the holes of water
      deflector will be aligned to the holes in the bar of the hood using a
      suitable tool.
      If the holes will not be aligned to each other, the water deflector
      will be pressed and clamped to the inner bar of the groove.

... and it goes on to describe the whole procedure of fitting the deflector WITH pictures and dimensions on where to install!!!!! ;)

I could post it here or PM for DIY fitters if anyone is interested ????

BTW I will provide the dimensions of the deflector this weekend thumbsup

Pic example:

Attached Files

#32 SILVER FOX

SILVER FOX

• 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

VXT went in to Toomey Motors Basildon for a service over a year ago and on collection of the keys I was told "we have ordered you the rain shield under the warranty". This was just what I wanted to hear after first reading about misfire problems and the rain shield fix on the long term VXT in EVO Magazine. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users