• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:21 AM

Well I was all set for this Saturday, my mechanic mate had offered to help out but didn't fancy the job without using a pit (he's a very big lad). I checked the pit out at my parents last night and isn't it funny how things must seem bigger as a kid :rolleyes: If we were both to get in it would be like the black hole of Calcutta. :lol: It's only about two and a half foot wide and about three and half deep. It would be a complete nightmare to say the least, especially for such a length of time. What's my best bet here? To buy some ramps? What will that cost? I've seen a few people offering help on this mod so I wondered if anyone can lend a helping hand in anyway. I want rid of this pre-cat :9mm: cheers

Edited by iandhd, 16 July 2003 - 09:22 AM.

#2 Guest_grand-fromage (Guest)

Guest_grand-fromage (Guest)

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:55 AM

I did mine with a trolley jack and axle stands. The exhaust is at the rear of the car and you only need to remove the rear undertray. I'm a big lad and it was a peice of p!ss to remove the cats. Getting the precat out of the removed pipe wasn't quite as easy though. Total about 3 hours I reckon

#3 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:57 AM

I had a look at the underbelly last night. What's the definitive answer on where the axle stands should go? (I know this has been raised before)

#4 Guest_grand-fromage (Guest)

Guest_grand-fromage (Guest)

Posted 17 July 2003 - 03:48 PM

I put mine on the suspension arms near the ends. Place them between the wheel and the undertray. Try not to position them in the middle of the arm as you'll stress it. Do one side at a time.

#5 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:25 PM

I dont recommend jacking or putting axle stands under the suspension -- even at the end of the wishbones. There are two approved jacking points, one each side, forward of the rear wheels and indicated by stickers on the hull. Even at these points you should be very careful and use wooden pads so as not to damage the undertray. Much better to use a couple of ramps (not expensive from Halfords or somewhere similar). After removing the pre-cat you may find a bit of hesitation or even experience a momentary engine cutout as the ECU gets used to the setup. This does not recur so just drive through and dont worry. As well as removing the Pre-cat its useful to remove the air restrictor from the airbox. Griffo

#6 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 08:28 PM

cheers Griffo. I've decided to go for it in the tiny pit :D I assume the time under the car is minimal compared to the time spent bashing the actual cat out of the pipe. No need to de-trumpet since I've got the K&N, thanks for your advice (and earlier instructions) I'm sure to let you know how I get on.

#7 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:01 PM

Just one last thing. What sort of gasket is there in the joints on either end? Is there any chance of this being damaged and is there a possibility of over tightening when reassemling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users