#1 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Interests:My Civic Type R
    My Black Beast of a VX!!!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

How does the accelerator pedal control the engine:- ? Is it connected by wire? Or does it control the engine by a sensor electronically? BTW this is for an NA Thanks :(

Edited by christurbo, 19 November 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#2 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

Just found THIS

Has anyone else had this problem where the accelerator pedal stops working - engine idles fine???

If so how did you get it fixed???

Thanks chinky chinky

Chris

[PS. Not loving the VX ownership thing at the mo :( ]

#3 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

Confusingly, the phrase is "Drive by wire" – taken from the aeronautical "fly by wire" meaning done by electrics rather than hydraulics or whatever. So, there is no throttle cable like a cable to a pushbike's brakes, it is done electronically. Goes for N/A and VXT. HTH :) Edit to say that Lotus are finally making the move to "drive by wire" on the 2006 Elise/Exige, so my 2005 Exige is the simple stone-age type stuff :(

Edited by speedyK, 19 November 2005 - 07:41 PM.

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

drive by wire thumbsup (electronic wire)

#5 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Damn too slow :rolleyes:

#6 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

Wish it was more simple like the Lotus - at least you can just get the wire replaced. See my post above - looks like a common prob??? :unsure:

#7 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

Wish it was more simple like the Lotus - at least you can just get the wire replaced.

:D

See my edit above about the 2006 Lotus

#8 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

At least if it breaks its meat and veg stuff ;) I dont know where to start with my problem - suppose It will have to be booked into Lookers. But I want some ammunition about what is actually wrong - so they cant throw a list of things that need replacing costing me $$$

#9 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

You can argue, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but

theorectically :rolleyes: :P drive by wire is more simple (in the elegance and efficiency of the concept, rather than the details) and is, supposedly, maintenance-free...

#10 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well mine is broke. Was stranded in the middle of Brum in the christmas shopping rush - in the lane right next to the Bull Ring :angry:

#11 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

Well mine is broke.

I had surmised that – hence the use of "theoretical"

OTOH, when I was a wild 17yr.old, I drove my mum's HA Viva and got through several throttle cables as well as clutch cables (yes, they were wire too). So the good old mechanical solution is not 100% either. I didn't exactly cosset it though – it was so slow you could drive it flat out almost everywhere and it was on three wheels more often than not :lol:

middle of Brum in the christmas shopping rush - in the lane right next to the Bull Ring :angry:

Hmm... not fun at the best of times, let alone if your car packs up with something stupid like this.

Hope you get it sorted quickly. thumbsup

#12 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Cheers bud. Going to take sensor out tomorrow and clean all surfaces. If this doesnt work then its going in thumbsup

#13 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:34 PM

I dont know if anyones interested as its quite a common problem, but here's an update. Took the connector out of the accelerator potentiometer sensor. I gave the connections a clean, put the connector back in. Reset ECU. Started the engine fine, but the light came on and no accelerator response again! tried this 3 times and it didnt work! Went back under pulled connector out and popped it back in this time wiggling it around. Reset ECU. Started engine - throttle response spot on. This suggests that it is a connection issue with the connection from the connector to the sensor. If you think about it the ride on the VX is very stiff, not a surprise if the vibrations and bumps loosen connections? If the connection is lost for a brief moment the ECU will freak out and shut the sensor down due to safety reasons. So... to hopefully fix it I pulled the connection out again, and with a sharp pointy knife I pushed the clip connectors [on the black bus that slip over the spade connections on the sensor] tightly together, as there was a minute gap between all of them. When I pushed it back in it felt much more snug and didnt move at all, before locking it into position with the red slide clip. I reset the ECU. Started OK, accelerator response spot on! Took it for an hour blast through all road/traffic conditions and all seems fine. Im not counting my chickens - going to see how she is over the next few days. As a precaution for other problems over the winter I have ordered the badboy water ingress engine cover, and have sprayed all electrical connections inc the ECU with WD40 to displace moisture and water [after drying it out first]. Lets see how this works <fingers crossed> chinky chinky

#14 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:00 PM

Sounds promising. Dud connection is more likely than component failure. Here's hoping thumbsup

#15 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

OTOH, when I was a wild 17yr.old, I drove my mum's HA Viva

What memories! My first car was an HA Viva. Cost me £60 - and yes, I was robbed! :lol:

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

I dont know if anyones interested as its quite a common problem, but here's an update.

Took the connector out of the accelerator potentiometer sensor. I gave the connections a clean, put the connector back in. Reset ECU. Started the engine fine, but the light came on and no accelerator response again! tried this 3 times and it didnt work!

Went back under pulled connector out and popped it back in this time wiggling it around. Reset ECU. Started engine - throttle response spot on.

This suggests that it is a connection issue with the connection from the connector to the sensor. If you think about it the ride on the VX is very stiff, not a surprise if the vibrations and bumps loosen connections? If the connection is lost for a brief moment the ECU will freak out and shut the sensor down due to safety reasons.

So... to hopefully fix it I pulled the connection out again, and with a sharp pointy knife I pushed the clip connectors [on the black bus that slip over the spade connections on the sensor] tightly together, as there was a minute gap between all of them. When I pushed it back in it felt much more snug and didnt move at all, before locking it into position with the red slide clip. I reset the ECU. Started OK, accelerator response spot on!

Took it for an hour blast through all road/traffic conditions and all seems fine.

Im not counting my chickens - going to see how she is over the next few days.

As a precaution for other problems over the winter I have ordered the badboy water ingress engine cover, and have sprayed all electrical connections inc the ECU with WD40 to displace moisture and water [after drying it out first].

Lets see how this works <fingers crossed>

chinky chinky

always interested thumbsup

hope it goes ok :)

#17 booboo

booboo

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

Hi my mate's did this and when it went into the dealer it needed a new ecu .It use to do the same and then just packed up .I think it cost about £900ish for them to replace it and it's never done it since .Hope yours is ok are you still on mloc? :groupjump:

#18 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

Yes mate still on MLOC! LEW1S on there biught my Liz B) Well its been out for 4 individual runs today and alls fine. I'll update you in a weeks time [bear in mind it has failed at least once each journey since I bought it]

#19 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

Damn too slow :rolleyes:

:o :rolleyes: really??..i thought it was chosen because! of its fast responce ;) :P :D :lol:

#20 booboo

booboo

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:37 PM

hope all start's going well mate (good luck) chinky chinky jack harry01

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users