Photo

Servo Pipe Problems - Any Action Being Taken?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Copper's not a good idea - heavy and VERY dissimilar to the aluminium used in the car. An alloy tube would be the best answer, with rubber each end. I don't want a pipe in the cab if I can help it though. When you remove the sill cover, there is a fairly small opening into the sill area. I might see how much this can be enlarged to get better access into the sill. Maybe enough to cut any tie-wraps? Steve

#22 sterb

sterb

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:53 PM

thumbsup Mine's booked in @ BHS 15th May to get the servo hocse replace under warranty. Whan asked they did say they will replcae the whole pipe, rather than sections of it. Will try to have a chat with Paul there to find out how he swaps them. If I remember correctly someone else on here had this done by them. Will let you know

#23 MikeS

MikeS

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

thumbsup Mine's booked in @ BHS 15th May to get the servo hocse replace under warranty. Whan asked they did say they will replcae the whole pipe, rather than sections of it. Will try to have a chat with Paul there to find out how he swaps them. If I remember correctly someone else on here had this done by them.

Will let you know

Paul replaced it on my NA last year, he's also done a few others that I know of.

#24 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

thumbsup Mine's booked in @ BHS 15th May to get the servo hocse replace under warranty. Whan asked they did say they will replcae the whole pipe, rather than sections of it. Will try to have a chat with Paul there to find out how he swaps them. If I remember correctly someone else on here had this done by them.

Will let you know

Paul replaced it on my NA last year, he's also done a few others that I know of.

Any idea on cost? :unsure:

I think A LOT of people will be needing this work done at the 3 or 4 year old mark....

#25 MikeS

MikeS

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

No idea sorry, it was part of a massive warranty job undertaken on my car.

#26 Mattlds

Mattlds

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

My 2002 NA failed it's MOT in Jan cos of servo vacuum pipe, Nidd Vale replaced the whole pipe.

#27 TimP

TimP

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Just had 30k service at bayliss in cheltenham. As usual Paul did a great job - including spotting servo pipe deterioration - changed whole pipe straight away under waranty (in the last week of it). Notice new pipe re-designed without sharp corners.. Should it even be a recall job? if not at least they should pay for the job even if out of warranty - clearly a design flaw.

#28 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

Can someone please ask Paul how he changes the pipe - and what would be the cost ??

cheers...

(or PM me his number thumbsup

Edited by Mick43, 01 May 2006 - 08:12 AM.

#29 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

My servo pipe is split and has collapsed. Been like it for ages. Knowing a what a job it is I've deliberately been avoiding looking at it because it scares me. Think in the short term I'll replace the ends and wory about the midle later. Mick - you say that normal places don't stock the right pipe?? Where did you go to get yours? Does anyone know what the correct sizes are?

#30 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

ben - I got mine from Anglia Hydraulics... OD is 7/8" ID (internal diameter) is 1/2" (the std brake pad at most accessory shops was ~3/8" ID The pipe is: Air Brake SAE J 1402/A - 1/2"

#31 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:56 AM

Can someone please ask Paul how he changes the pipe - and what would be the cost ??

cheers...

(or PM me his number thumbsup

Sorry bit slow but PM sent thumbsup

#32 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

ben - I got mine from Anglia Hydraulics...

OD is 7/8"
ID (internal diameter) is 1/2" (the std brake pad at most accessory shops was ~3/8" ID

The pipe is:

Air Brake SAE J 1402/A - 1/2"

Cheers Mick thumbsup About time I did something about it really and I think you just provided the inspiration!

#33 Tony

Tony

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Railways, Photography, DIY

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

just checked mine, cos it's 5 years old now, and it's splitting as well. Disappointed as it's just had a service and it wasn't spotted. Still I suppose I know what I'm looking for

#34 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Mick, how much is the pipe?

#35 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

I purchased 3.5 metres (as I was expecting to change entire length - and prob will do once we know how) and it came to ~£22. (3.5 metres prob more than needed... but I just wanted to be safe.. esp as resonably cheap...) [thanks 2GOOD thumbsup

Edited by Mick43, 02 May 2006 - 08:13 PM.

#36 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

I just poke to Thorney (what a nice helpful guy thumbsup) about another matter in relation to running wires front to rear on the VX. B) The way is through the sills, which have three polystyrene partitions which serve no structural purpose but are probably part of the manufacturing process. :unsure: These can be dispensed of summarily with a pointy stick to allow acces the length of the sill. :o This means that on the passenger side the existing hose can be cut and left in place and a new how inserted from the rear wheel arch area and run through, and probably it's an idea to cut the existing pipe inside the sill where accessible at the front with the trim removed in order to draw the new pipe through to the front of the car. thumbsup The new pipe can be tied in place at the front and as far into the sill from the rear as you can reach. thumbsup If that's done firmly enough there will still be some play in the inaccessible middle bit, but that shouldn't really cause ainy major problems. :unsure: So at least the pipe can be replaced without too many problems. thumbsup (theoretically :beat: ) Fcuk me this UK weather :9mm: :beat: :9mm: :beat: Left the car outside, top off 10 mins ago in brilliant sunshine to post this and just had to run out now having been warned about the change in the weather by the sound of hailstones the size of golf balls on the house roof. :beat:

Edited by oblomov, 04 May 2006 - 03:03 PM.

#37 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

I just spoke to Thorney this evening and he said the servo pipe can be pulled through the whole length of the car and replaced that way :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users