23 replies to this topic

#1 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:44 AM

Just had to post this since I saw the reference to heaters on another thread. Since picking up my VXT two weeks ago I hadn't had the courage to try the heater (Yes I know its not been that cold yet but it's been a bit chilly early in the mornings when you're driving to work at 6:00am) My g/f was also working in town today so I gave her a lift in. "Bit cold" she said to me so I reluctantly turned the heater knob from blue to red, switched to air to the footwells and put the fan on 1. And................. It worked! It bloody well worked!! I got hot air - heat - warmth - You know the sort of thing you get from central heating systems at home. :jump: :jump: :jump: Absolutely gobsmacked :groupjump: So, loads of brownie points now. She much prefers the colour of the VXT, much prefers the ride too, and now the heater actually does what its supposed to. I think I might be on a winner tonight lads! ;) :drink: :jump: :jump:

#2 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:13 AM

You're gonna get the shag because the heater in your car works? I need to adjust my technique.

#3 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:15 AM

I just turned the heater on with the bonnet open and the ventilation pipe off - couldn't believe how much air comes out! We've just measured up the ventilation pipe hole and the hole that it sits over, and I'll hopefully have an aluminium cone type thing by next weekend which will make all the lovely hot air come into the cabin :groupjump: Fingers crossed!

#4 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:02 AM

You're gonna get the shag because the heater in your car works? I need to adjust my technique.

Well, if you need any pointers....... :lol:

#5 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 06 October 2003 - 07:27 AM

TT must be kicking himself that he bought that Exige. Perhaps he should have gone for a VXT instead.

#6 Teatowel

Teatowel

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:42 PM

Yeah the heater in my NA works so well even when there was ice on the road last year I had to turn it down - I was wearing a T-shirt in the car!

#7 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:57 PM

You're gonna get the shag because the heater in your car works?  I need to adjust my technique.

TT must be kicking himself that he bought that Exige. Perhaps he should have gone for a VXT instead.

:unsure:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:05 PM

The sock filter mod effectively buggers up the stream of warm air tho', I guess its a summer only mod :(

#9 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:27 PM

The sock filter mod effectively buggers up the stream of warm air tho', I guess its a summer only mod :(

You're not kidding - the heater is crap in my VX, so much so that I'm actually considering buying a cheap saloon to use over the coming months... :o

I've even got a bloody explorers jacket that could keep you walm at the north pole - sadly the VX's seat's too narrow so that's not really an option.

So Jim - if that cone thing works, giz a shout! :D

#10 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 10:41 PM

Andy, will do. Should be done this week and fitted at the weekend. I think my heater may actually be one of the better ones. When I re-fitted the ventilation pipe on Saturday I must have put it back on much better than it was originally...I had to keep turning the heater off because I was too hot. Even last night when it was freezing outside. I still don't think it would be powerful enough to cope with November - February temperatures that well (and definitely not with the roof off!), so I'm hopefuly that the cone will improve it further :)

#11 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:11 AM

There's a heater in my VX? :blink: I'm so scared to touch anything that I didn't realise. :P Actually my heater's OK but all the control knobs have fallen off - every single one of them. Maybe my new chat up line should be "Would you like to warm your toes in my car? I had three knobs but they all fell off". edited to remove a rude joke

Edited by streetboy, 07 October 2003 - 10:12 AM.

#12 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:35 AM

Jim/Bob - any chance of some piccys as you do the mod?? I still dont get how this cone/squash bottle mod works fits :blink: cheers CC

#13 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:16 PM

CC, it really is very easy. Pull out the big silver ventilation pipe (the same one as used in the tights mod) completely, and look at the hole it sits over. All will become clear :)

#14 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:21 PM

I did try but its very tight and i wasnt sure i could get it back in?? Do i need tools or can i rip it out here in the work car park??

#15 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:24 PM

Its only tight IMO beacuse it fouls on the brake servo mate, its just a butt-join, not an overlap. its where the air hot or otherwise leaks...

#16 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:49 PM

Cheeky, time for a technical drawing using the latest CAD package... Notice how in the BEFORE picture, the heater and pipe just sit 'near' each other. In the AFTER picture, the red tube is your lemonade bottle or cone or whatever and goes inside both the heater and the pipe. Haven't actually done this myself but I can see what they're on about.

Attached Files

#17 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 01:00 PM

Cheeky, time for a technical drawing using the latest CAD package...

Notice how in the BEFORE picture, the heater and pipe just sit 'near' each other. In the AFTER picture, the red tube is your lemonade bottle or cone or whatever and goes inside both the heater and the pipe.

Haven't actually done this myself but I can see what they're on about.

AutoCAD 15 be afraid, very afraid..... :D :D

Cheer guys - i will five it a shot later

#18 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

Cheeky, you can just rip it out - no tools needed. Don't worry, you won't break it. Just twist it was you pull it out, then it comes out a bit easier.

#19 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 09:53 PM

:) Ah double winner!! Did have a bit of luck in improving air into the cabin - pulled the silver pipe out completely... Tried to put some coke bottle in it but it fell lower into the matrix and was worried it might jam the actual fan in the heater matrix :blink: So cut the bottom of the pipe and gave it a good jam on! What i did find was a switch on top of the heater matrix - when you turn the heater nob on the dash it pulls awire that turns the heater switch on the matrix on or off... BUT.... it doesnt push it all the way to the full heat position :beat: So i manually pushed it to the max. Mmmmm, warm air :D I intend to not touch the heater nob on the dash until April :groupjump: I have also advised the Other Half not to touch it either ;)

#20 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:08 PM

Christ on a bike!! I was soooo hot today, i had to open the window :D :D Roll on the winter :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users