• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 09:10 AM

Did anyone figure out a way to definitely tell that a set of tyres are the VX compound, not the Elise ones, or any other RE040s? I ordered some today (£116.50 each for the rears inc fitting and balancing), and did tell them what car it is, that it's a special model of RE040, and mentioned that BZ code on them. Still, I'd like to be sure when I get them fitted that they are the right ones.

#2 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:55 AM

Gary posted the codes a while back but I can't remember what they were. Try doing a search.

#3 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:39 PM

What's the difference between the 'right' ones and the 'wrong' ones? My local tyre dealer quoted me £97 + vat for RE040 rears this morning. Thing is he reckons they are Z-rated so clearly not the ones I have at the moment. Are the VX ones a different rubber compound or something?

#4 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:32 PM

Just spoke to Vauxhall, they have two Bridgestones in stock for £304 for the pair :o That's £75 more expensive than the Z-rated RE040s from the local tyre shop. RE040s are RE040s surely. Same tread pattern, correct size, equal (better) speed rating.... Anyone knowledgable on this, other than simply saying "you need the special VX220 ones 'cos they are better"? Jase

#5 vx_220

vx_220

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

I had lots of fun on the tyre front, as I had two rear punctures in the space of a month a while back.

REO40's do come in different speed ratings. I phoned lots of places to get tyres and was told convincingly over the phone "yes sir, we have those in stock", only to get down there and find they were trying to flog me the Y or Z rated ones. You want the V rated ones, though I had garages swear blind to me that they don't exist. There are 3 variants (at least) of the REO40 V rated - a standard one, an Elise one, and a VX one. The guy at protyre could tell on his system which was which.

If you go for either of the Y or Z you are paying extra for something you don't need, they will (should) be more expensive. Also, as they're built to withstand higher speeds I would have thought they will be tougher and may handle differently.

The right VX tyre is the REO40 BZ, but it is a specific variant of the BZ which has an additional code stamped into the side wall (I can't remember what the code is from memory, but I have a feeling it doesn't start with BZ for some reason, might be CJ or something).

Anyway, I have one REO40BZ standard on one rear, and a VX220 special one on the other rear. And I can't tell the difference.

I got the right one from here: http://www.protyre.co.uk/

They were excellent service and charged the least of anywhere near London. £108 for a single rear fitted. (think it gets progressively cheaper the more you buy)

Chris

#6 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:58 PM

The right VX tyre is the REO40 BZ, but it is a specific variant of the BZ which has an additional code stamped into the side wall (I can't remember what the code is from memory, but I have a feeling it doesn't start with BZ for some reason, might be CJ or something).

Anyway,  I have one REO40BZ standard on one rear, and  a VX220 special one on the other rear.  And I can't tell the difference.

I got the right one from here:  http://www.protyre.co.uk/

They were excellent service and charged the least of anywhere near London. £108 for a single rear fitted. (think it gets progressively cheaper the more you buy)

Chris

CJC for the NA VX. The Elise tyre is either DCK or DKE, can't remeber which at the moment. I doubt if anyone would be be able to tell the difference in back to back tests though.

Edited by garyk220, 01 December 2003 - 02:59 PM.

#7 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:01 PM

C h e e r s guys. I guess what I'm trying to say is will I screw my car up with z rated tyres? They are cheapest option at the moment. Maybe I'll try and get Vauxhall to pricematch so I can get the proper tyres at the lower price.

#8 vx_220

vx_220

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 04:16 PM

Personally, I wouldn't go with the Z's - the VX tyres were supposedly specifically designed for the VX and I'd want to stick with those (or at least something classed similarly). Chris

#9 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 04:31 PM

Managed to get Vauxhall to (almost) pricematch so only paying £120 for the proper VX tyre. Hooray at last, what a pain in the arse that was... Problem is, most garages say - "nah mate, we don't have any V-rated but Z is better anyway". Didn't have the energy to start explaining subtle handling characteristics of the VX to them. Thanks for the help/comments!

Edited by Jase_MK, 01 December 2003 - 04:32 PM.

#10 proaxis2

proaxis2

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:31 PM

Jase Was this from Crownhill Vauxhall? As I wanted them to price match me 2 rears for 115 each and he said that there's no way he can get anywhere near it, so I'm getting them from a place near work in Southam now. Adam

#11 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:39 PM

The front lotus tyre is 16". fitted with a 175/55R16. The rear lotus is 225/45R17. Surely this is the same as the VX220?

#12 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

...2 rears for 115 each...

There's a bunch more stuff on tyres >here< including some online tyre places where you can pick them up for about £75!

Ben

#13 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:44 AM

The rear lotus is 225/45R17.

Surely this is the same as the VX220?

If only it was that easy :D I had trouble getting hold of the correct rear tyres for my VXT last week. I think I've seen every combination of 225/45x17 Potenzas.

There are 3 types of V-rated tyre available;
- Elise S2 DOT code DKE****
- VX na DOT code CJC****
- and another, presumably fitted to Leons, Audis, etc. (don;t know the DOT code for this)

There are 2 types of W-rated tyre;
- VXT DOT code CFE****
- and another, presumably fitted to EVOs, Scoobies, etc.

And at least one Z-rated tyre, which has a slightly different tread patter from the V and W rated tyres.

The first set delivered were DKE (Elise tyres) the wrong speed rating, and a very soft sidewall. The car bounced around as though one of the dampers was worn. The second attempt resulted in one correct W rated VXT tyre and one Z rated tyre. By the third attempt I had 2 VXT tyres, CFE**** DOT code.

It is very difficult for tyre suppliers to get this right, since all the tyres show up as RE040 BZ on their computer, so the only way to check for sure, is to read the DOT code stamped in the sidewall....

****it is stamped on the offside face of the tyre only and is 3 letters followed by 4 numbers****

PS I always thought the difference was a myth promoted by Lotus, until I watched the Elise tyre being removed from my wheel (it literally fell off) and the VXT tyre being refitted (it took 2 of us and a very long bar to get the side wall over the wheel rim, the sidewalls appear to be much stiffer).

PPS Perhaps someone can check the accuracy of this information and add it to the FAQs?

Edited by garyk220, 28 February 2004 - 09:47 AM.

#14 ukgulf

ukgulf

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:40 PM

****it is stamped on the offside face of the tyre only and is 3 letters followed by 4 numbers****

Having just bought 2 rear tyres I've noticed that when fitted in the correct directional manner the dot code on1 of the tyres will be on the INSIDE face of the tyre... is that an issue ?

#15 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

Having just bought 2 rear tyres I've noticed that when fitted in the correct directional manner the dot code on1 of the tyres will be on the INSIDE face of the tyre... is that an issue ?

No, that is correct. I could have been clearer with my post.

Should have said the code is visible on the outer face of the tyre on the offside only (it is on the inside face on nearside, due to the tyre tread being directional)

#16 cameron

cameron

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:35 AM

problem i had is that most tyre dealers have no ideas about dot codes. I was told a lot of nonsense about no 2 tyres ever having the same code by three garages. I even told them my info was from bridgestone and they still wouldn't accept that the potenzas they had in stock were different from the ones i wanted. Also, i heard that the v rating is no longer produced but obviously still old stock in circulation. My new tyres don't marry up with the recommended dot codes and i honestly have not noticed a difference. I don't track though and generally don't drive all that hard (much). Maybe i'm wrong but several members advice and my own decision was avoid the z rated get V (not for turbo though) or W and save some money.

#17 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

The last set I bought have the correct DOT codes, but I could not locate the original load rating of 80, which I was informed is no longer available, so I have 81W's.

#18 toreide

toreide

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:39 AM

Can someone do a summary? So far I have the following numbers etc: 175/55-17 Load index: Speed rating: V DOT CJC**** alternatively 175/55-17 Load index: Speed rating: W DOT CFE*** Rear: 225/45-17 Load index: Speed rating: V DOT alternatively 225/45-17 Load index: Speed rating: W DOT Please help me with the correct loadratings and the DOT codes for the rear.

#19 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

Check out this post.... i spoke to Andy at Bridgestone....

>Tyre Info Etc<

Or...

Got some info from Bridgestone....

Andy Daniels is the guys name... 01926 488580 

The correct O.E tyres for both 2.2 & VXT are as follows..

Fronts - RE040BZ 175/55 R17 - 81W DOT CAD (DOT CFE/ DOT CJC is old stock...)

Rears - RE040BZ 225/45 R17 - 90W DOT CFE (DOT CJC is old stock)

As you can see the speed rating has changed from a V to a W for the N/A....Andy has assured me now that this tyre is the O.E for both cars now!!

Hope this clears a few things up!!

The rears i have on are RE040BZ 225/45 R17 91Y DOT EJH8 CFE 0804 are for an Audi TT 

Cheers

Nick

Cheers

Nick

#20 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info Nick thumbsup Now we all know the correct tyres to buy ;) I have found some rears for 133 euros a piece including delivery Imnotworthy I see mytyres.co.uk has them for 93 quid a pop, browser is running slow so dont know if that includes delivery? Will get Opel to fit them along with my new mintex pads/CDA airbox at eom :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users