Common Fixes Faq

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Neg

Neg

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:32 AM

I've got a number of small niggles with my VX that I know Vauxhall have developed fixes for. However, whenever I approach my dealer (W Grose, Northampton) I get 'Nah mate, don't know what you're on about'. To be fair, when they take ownership of a problem they do a reasonable job. It's just the devil's work to get them to take anything on. To help me (and hopefully others) be an informed customer, I'd like to put together a FAQ sheet along the following lines. Water leaks in around my door mirrors / door handle Try the Turbo door seals - Part Number(s) N/S 93181844 O/S 93181845 and to go with them 93182346 x 2 My roof leaks Try the Turbo roof seals - Part Number(s) My engine is grumpy when wet/cold Try the Turbo engine cover - Part Number(s) My dash looks like the Sahara desert Try the Turbo cabin air filter - Part Number(s) I know we have a lot of information scattered throughout previous postings, but the fact that the same questions keep popping up suggests such a FAQ would be useful. Can anyone help with suggestions / Part Numbers etc (Turboman, I'm looking at you ;-) Neg

#2 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

Good idea, and in fact a FAQ is in progress at the moment. I'm sure the info you collect from this thread can be included. WRT the leaking roof / door mirrors, one of the best things to do is simply apply a Fabsil (or Autogym or similar) roof treatment. For many, including me, this has almost completely cured the problem. It encourages the rain to run off the roof instead of soaking in and then working it's way round the seals. James

#3 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:40 PM

As regards FAQ's...see the following...

LINK

chinky chinky

#4 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:23 PM

An FAQ on VX tyres would be useful. The subject comes up every other week. I posted something on this last month, last post on this thread here

Not a complete list, but perhaps a useful starting point. A link to independent suppliers would be useful too. Mytyres seem to supply the correct tyres, and Coolio got a good price fitted, from National Tyres... not sure if they are for the correct VX-specific tyre though.

Who is putting the FAQ section together Brad?

#5 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:07 AM

As the thread in the LINK above says...its up to us to write it... Whoever thinks they can take a subject on!... I have made a start on 3 FAQ areas (probably the easier ones...I was hoping some people would volunteer for some others. (Anyway, read the thread in the link on my last post and you'll get the picture) chinky chinky

#6 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:16 AM

I had not heard about any cabin air filter before last week and need the part number. Anyone?

#7 coolio

coolio

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Cycling, Motorbikes, Karting, Cars

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:09 PM

Not a complete list, but perhaps a useful starting point. A link to independent suppliers would be useful too. Mytyres seem to supply the correct tyres, and Coolio got a good price fitted, from National Tyres... not sure if they are for the correct VX-specific tyre though.

Bridgestone Potenza RE 040 225/45 R17 90W

That is what is on the side of my tyre so they are right unless you want to tell me different.

#8 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:22 PM

Bridgestone Potenza RE 040 225/45 R17 90W

That is what is on the side of my tyre so they are right unless you want to tell me different.

90W sounds like the Turbo tyre, so not an issue. The DOT code is the only way to tell for sure (read the message via the link in my previous post for the full story). CFE**** is turbo tyre (W rated) and CJC**** is NA tyre (V rated) anything else is either an Elise tyre or Scooby/S3/Evo etc.

#9 coolio

coolio

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:01 PM

If only it was that easy  I had trouble getting hold of the correct rear tyres for my VXT last week. I think I've seen every combination of 225/45x17 Potenzas.

There are 3 types of V-rated tyre available;
- Elise S2 DOT code DKE****
- VX na DOT code CJC****
- and another, presumably fitted to Leons, Audis, etc. (don;t know the DOT code for this)

There are 2 types of W-rated tyre;
- VXT DOT code CFE****
- and another, presumably fitted to EVOs, Scoobies, etc.

And at least one Z-rated tyre, which has a slightly different tread patter from the V and W rated tyres.

The first set delivered were DKE (Elise tyres) the wrong speed rating, and a very soft sidewall. The car bounced around as though one of the dampers was worn. The second attempt resulted in one correct W rated VXT tyre and one Z rated tyre. By the third attempt I had 2 VXT tyres, CFE**** DOT code.

It is very difficult for tyre suppliers to get this right, since all the tyres show up as RE040 BZ on their computer, so the only way to check for sure, is to read the DOT code stamped in the sidewall....

****it is stamped on the offside face of the tyre only and is 3 letters followed by 4 numbers****

PS I always thought the difference was a myth promoted by Lotus, until I watched the Elise tyre being removed from my wheel (it literally fell off) and the VXT tyre being refitted (it took 2 of us and a very long bar to get the side wall over the wheel rim, the sidewalls appear to be much stiffer).

PPS Perhaps someone can check the accuracy of this information and add it to the FAQs?

I haven't purchased them yet but my tyre reads:

DOT EJH8 RE040 225/45/R17 90V

I stand corrected I thought it said W

Haven't got the tyres yet as I'm due to get them on Saturday so 90V's should be even cheaper than £120.00 each

Thanks a lot for sorting this out

Ken

Edited by coolio, 25 March 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#10 coolio

coolio

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:03 PM

Also from speaking to masterfit I don't think they have a clue about the tyres as masterfit inverness offered Avon ZZ1's if I wanted something cheaper. Spec them yourself I think

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users