Fatal Vxt Crash Last Year In Poole

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth

Stealth

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

Would like to know if anyone has heard any news about the crash that a vxt had last year in Poole Dorset with a coach. My wife works for the local ambulance sevice and was talking to a paramedic involved in the rescue on site. He has just recently been to the hearing about the crash as a witness. Knowing we have a vxt he told us that the accident. He said it was put down to a car fault, (suspension component ) which broke, and this damaged the rear wheel causing the car to veer into the coach. Please dont take these as facts, but i think we all have an interest in finding out what the cause was. bruce (stealth)

#2 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

This has been discussed before. According to local news reports it was over zealous youngsters driving.

#3 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

Interesting though that the inquest may have formed a different conclusion...

#4 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

According to local news reports it was over zealous youngsters driving.

Let's face it, if you are driving a car like a VX and an accident happens, you can be fairly sure that, in the eyes of the general public and press, you are guilty until proven innocent. :(

I think this suggested suspension failure is something that would be worth learning more about – didn't some one report that the Palmersport guys had had a few VX rear suspension component failures? And is it not also the case that it was suggested when this was discussed last year, that there is a beefed-up part that Lotus can supply? I've not heard anything more... but it is a little bit disconcerting. :unsure:

#5 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

Some years ago I bought a Renault car for spares. The car had crashed backwards through a wall and the police blamed the driver for speeding. It was all rear damage and the front of the car including engine appeared fine The engine appeared to turn ok by hand, but when it was stripped down, one of the pistons had gone through the wet liner wall, and at the time of the accident had a locked up the front wheels causing the car to spin off the road. So the fault was mechanical and nothing to do with the driver, but there was no way of telling that until the whole engine was stripped down. It's sometimes very difficult to tell the cause of a crash if it's mechanical and the damage is severe.

#6 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

The only thing I can think of that may break on the rear suspension is the rear toe link. I know eliseparts do stronger versions of these for elises and I have seen elises break them on track days. Anyone know anyone at Palmersport to ask?

#7 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

Think Rickys the man for this- seem to remember him finding loose sub-frame bolts when removeing the undertray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users