21 replies to this topic

#1 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:44 PM

Right then; I'm driving along minding my own business when I hit a rather deep pothole. Thump. Clatter. Bugger. Bloody mirror has completely detached itself from the windscreen and is now in a heap on the floor. So, Tadpole and Frogman, how's your funky rearview mirror project coming on? chinky chinky

#2 Tadpole

Tadpole

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

Tadpole speaking. :D The update is, it's turning into a bit of a saga. Dad went up last week and the guy doing it wasn't happy with the finish, so he wants to do another one. Dad said the size and shape was just what he wanted. The company who are doing it have been really busy and will be for the next few weeks. Dads now taken his car of the road for the winter so it's not a problem for him. If it's the sticky pad thats come off your windscreen then you need to get it stuck back on as we are using the original pivot to fix the carbon mirror. As soon as we get something we'll post pics. Gavin.

#3 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the update, Gavin. I'd better go and find some glass/metal bonding glue then...

#4 Paul

Paul

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image
I would also be interested when they are done ... I just hate the 6 foot wide standard mirror!

#5 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

I would like one too :)

#6 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:37 PM

I would like one too :)

You'll never get it approved. :lol:

#7 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

You'll never get it approved. :lol:

:lol: If it has safety glass, it should not be a problem.

Whereas DTM-style front splitters, smaller diameter front wheels (eg. 16"), etc., etc., are all expressly absolutely forbidden – I know 'cos I've been checking :( :( :(

#8 Rag_It

Rag_It

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

Any news on this? Just hit a LARGE pothole and the hole stupid thing tw*ted me on the head as it fell, proceeding to land on the floor. How on eart do you stick the mounting bit back up, and maybe more importantly how do you get it out of the bit it is in, as mine is stuck solid! Dave

#9 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:33 AM

How on eart do you stick the mounting bit back up, and maybe more importantly how do you get it out of the bit it is in, as mine is stuck solid!

I used windscreen mirror glue from the local ironmongers. Seems to have worked ok.

IIRC the block is attached to the mirror with a retaining screw.

#10 P444UL_R

P444UL_R

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Any news ? I want one Paul

#11 stevevx220

stevevx220

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Computers. cars :)

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:29 AM

So do I :D

#12 sparky

sparky

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:32 AM

yep. i'll have one of those...

#13 benc

benc

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

yep, me too!

#14 frogman

frogman

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

Check out Tadpole's VX Projects site, (link at the bottom of his posts) or contact us direct. :D

#15 TLS2

TLS2

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:28 AM

Has anyone got one of these mirrors ? Any good ?

#16 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

My suction cup mirror has decided it no longer wants to stay stuck to the windscreen (don't know if it's the hot weather) No way do I want to go back to the original mirror, so I really need an alternative.

#17 Paul

Paul

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

Mine did the same - must be the heat.

I did have a go at making my own small mirror, with a glass cutter & grinder. The idea was to get a dipping mirror that looked like the frogman & tadpole one Posted Image

... as you can see I succeeded in the dipping bit :lol: It also vibrates a bit; as the mirror I started with fitted by sliding down the windscreen rather than up as on the VX, so in cutting the mounting to make it fit, it has lost the rigidity.

I am beginning to think that the Frogman & Tadpole one may well be the answer!

#18 sworks

sworks

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

Mirrors seem to be falling off all over the place. If only mine would. Bought a small suction mirror from Halfords (meant for checking up on the kids in the back) and it worked great. Sits right at the top of the screen out of the way. Once i was happy with the mirror, decided to unstick the original mirror. Yeah right!. As i gently tried to persuade it off, the windscreen cracked. Tapped the 'pad' that is holding it on and it gave a metallic/stone type sound. The bloody thing is well and truly stuck on. Any advice on how to remove it would be great. Ta Chris

#19 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

:rolleyes: took mine off..damn stupid thing ;) much! better without it thumbsup

#20 Gouldy

Gouldy

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

My suction cup mirror has decided it no longer wants to stay stuck to the windscreen (don't know if it's the hot weather)

No way do I want to go back to the original mirror, so I really need an alternative.

I bought one of the suction cup mirrors when the original one 'came off in my hand'. But it wouldn't stay stuck for more than about half an hour. So I pulled it apart like this:

Posted Image

Then took the 4th bit from the left and cut the little disc off the bottom of it, sandpapered it flat and stuck it to the windscreen with loctite mirror glue stuff from halfords (the sticky pads didn't work). With the mirror clipped onto it's new base it's all good: doesn't vibrate, I can see out of the windscreen, and hasn't fallen off (yet).

Okay, it's not exactly glamorous and carbon fibre, but it serves a purpose.

HTH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users