Photo

Pre Cat Removal

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 JJEuropa

JJEuropa

• PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:I've got a Sports Boat and enjoy using that. Have also joined the Cornwall Sports Car Club which is great as we have a good mix of cars and people and the social side is good.<br><br>Also enjoy Australian wine and eating out.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

I can't wait, Griffo is doing my Pre Cat removal this Sunday. Hope it's as good as everyone says. I'll let you know on Monday!!! JJ

#2 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Drinking and travelling about.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

And I'm getting my full Milltek fitted on saturday :). thumbsup

#3 JJEuropa

JJEuropa

• PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:I've got a Sports Boat and enjoy using that. Have also joined the Cornwall Sports Car Club which is great as we have a good mix of cars and people and the social side is good.<br><br>Also enjoy Australian wine and eating out.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

Now that's just plain showing off!!! :rolleyes: JJ

#4 JayK

JayK

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:02 PM

take ur main cat out aswell, makes a huge difference as it has on mine! thumbsup

#5 coopa

coopa

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:The usual

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

And I'm getting my full Milltek fitted on saturday

Me too thumbsup

#6 les

les

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:03 PM

HAD MY JANSPEED BACK BOX FITTED and my pre cat removed last week. not been out much, but it sounds brill and seems to be quicker.

#7 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

Where/Who is Griffo? I'm looking for someone who can do mine.. to much for me I think.. willing to pay.. Si

#8 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:43 PM

Hi Griffo is a truly wonerful an meaningful an modest chap in Cornwall. Griffo

#9 Macca

Macca

• PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:58 PM

HAD MY JANSPEED BACK BOX FITTED and my pre cat removed last week. not been out much, but it sounds brill and seems to be quicker.

Is the janspeed quieter than the VSE? I believe it has 3.5" tailpipes, is there any fouling issues on the rear clam................ No turd jokes please :D

#10 JJEuropa

JJEuropa

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

Griffo is a top chap and not at all big headed as his post would seem. We had fun on Sunday doing my Pre Cat, took a few hours (well about 5, a tad longer than we hoped while we grinded some bolts off) but it seems to pick up smoother and i'm well pleased with it. Certainly a pain getting the core out and I can fully understand why Griffo charges for the work (£150), the old boy was puffing by the end of the day!! Top marks though, he knows his stuff. JJ

#11 Macca

Macca

• PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:13 PM

Am i right in thinking that you drill as much of the honeycomb(?) core out then grind the inside of the downpipe 'til its smooth?

#12 JJEuropa

JJEuropa

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

Yep, drill all around with drill, lubricating the drill bit with oil as you go (we still went through 4 drill bits) then cold chisel around and eventually the core will come out, remove the edges of the core and then machine buff the insides so they're smooth. You have to be careful on what angle you do all this to limit the amount of rubbish, dust and sharp bits that fall into the main cat chamber. Once the core is out, we taped over the o2 sensor hole and then used a powerful vacum to ensure all dust etc was out of the pipe. Took about 4 - 5 hours, by the time you remove tray, the bolts, do the above and then reassemble. Hope this helps. JJ

#13 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Drinking and travelling about.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:20 PM

JJ, Have you noticed a marked improvement since the de cat? Unfortunately didn't get my Milltek done cause of jacking probs :( but sorted now and know how to get it up on the lift now :) Charlie

#14 JJEuropa

JJEuropa

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

I'd say the pickup was smoother but it may just be my perception because i was expecting a change if you catch my drift. No effect on noise or anything like that but wasn't expecting there to be. It should make a difference to fuel consumption as well so I think it is worth getting it removed, think of the weight saving!!! Not easy removing it though!! JJ

#15 Pipo

Pipo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Computer, automotive technics, electronics, MTB, Alpine ski, playing keyboard.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:13 PM

I'd say the pickup was smoother but it may just be my perception because i was expecting a change if you catch my drift.

Remove the maincat as well, and you will feel a huge difference in the high revs.

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

thread resurection: I'm having a bit of trouble getting the precat out. I've dried arround the core, but cannot seem to get all the way though the honeycomb. what is the other side of the restriction. So far we are on 8 drill pieces! :rolleyes:

#17 Onix1

Onix1

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

Apologies if this is a daft question... Wouldn't it be easier to employ a custom exhaust dealer (like powerflow). They could cut the precat out and replace it with a straight through - stainless steel section??

#18 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

you don't need to replace the pipe section on the na

#19 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

you don't need to replace the pipe section on the na

hmm like Onix1 said .. isn't it easyer to cut it out then to drill the damn thing for 5h ?

#20 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:42 PM

Does it still pass an mot with the precat removed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users