• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 johnathan

johnathan

• PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding,cars

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

Just had an accident on the A1 south near Leeming bar, hit a patch of standing water and the back end went and I was unable to catch it. Hit the barrier with the front then spun and hit the rear. Had to clamber out of the window(not easy when 6'3"). I turned the ignition off and waited for the emergency services. The car set on fire about 15 minutes later, the police officer said he could see there was standing water and would not be taking any action. He was a nice and helpful policeman who did his job brilliantly. Anyway Im fine despite an aching shoulder and alot of anger. Anger at whay we pay for road tax to drive on roads which they apparently know has standing water problems and they do SQUAT about it. The police officer said that he has seen numerous accidents there and that it will take the death of someone before it changes. Good to know isnt it!

Attached Files

#2 johnathan

johnathan

• PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding,cars

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:42 AM

another

Attached Files

#3 Guest_Vermania (Guest)

Guest_Vermania (Guest)

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:46 AM

jesus man i;m sorry hope you get a new one quick damn council bastards never do their job. Lucky you carry a digital camera in your pocket. I hope you were not hurt. Damn VX ownership seems very dangerous.

#4 skiddo

skiddo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:48 AM

my god johnathan. glad you are ok! another testiment to how strong our little car is.

#5 AndyB

AndyB

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy video editing, so am thinking about doing wedding DVD's. I'm also a second degree Reiki practitioner. Apart from that, my family and driving my VX.

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:51 AM

Sorry to hear it!! At least you can replace cars, you can't replace lives. Glad you are ok.

#6 amrit

amrit

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:53 AM

That looks scary. Forget the car (easily said than done). At least ur in one piece. Let the insurance sort it out. Councils do squat as we know. Full of paper pushing, penny counting policy makers.

#7 Dave

Dave

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:57 AM

:o Glad your OK. thumbsup Take time to reflect.. When your ready get back on the road......hopefully in another VX. Dave

#8 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:57 AM

Bloody hell ! Glad you are OK. Sorry about your lovely car - but as said elsewhere you can get another mate. Be at ease.

#9 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:32 AM

Wow!!! Sounds indentical to how my accident happeded bar fire. As with me just be thankfull your OK. i'm over mine and looking foward to a VXT. Did you hit anyone else? Why did it catch fire - and after 15 mins.

#10 BARRIE

BARRIE

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

ouch!

#11 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

It looks like the crash-box was the only bit to survive!

#12 Joss

Joss

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:50 AM

I think I know the bit of road you mean - I was coming back to the Dales from Scarborough following 2 biker mates last year when one of them hit the same problem and was nearly a goner. Glad you are relatively OK - but I bet that ache gets worse over the next couple of days.

#13 Toe

Toe

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:58 AM

jeez :o is that what standing water can do to a ikkle VX :( glad your ok it would be doubt full from the pics

Edited by Toe, 17 July 2004 - 08:59 AM.

#14 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

:o That is shocking - glad you're OK! Like others, I wonder what it was that sparked the fire :unsure: It's not very common for cars to go up in flames after an accident anymore. At least you had enough time to clamber out! I bet the smell of burning plastic was pretty intoxicating :sick:

#15 Flanners

Flanners

• PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Into my cars, motorbikes and road bking

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

Crikey. Glad you are safe and well. Looks a right mess. May be worth speaking to the insurance company regarding the DOT/Council's liaibility for the failure to maintain the carriageway.

#16 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:30 AM

Those are a couple of shocking photos! I had heard that older fibre glass cars tended to go up in flames quite easily but I had hoped that 'new' fibre glass would include some kind of inhibiter to prevent this from happening..... looks like I was wrong.... :o As the other guys have said, the main thing is that you are ok. Hope you decide to get another VX ... they are good fun after all! Rob

#17 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

That is bad, really bad. Glad you got out ok as it could of ended alot worse....

#18 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

I join with the others - Glad you're OK Take it easy :grouphug:

#19 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Holly crap! I'm glad you're ok!

#20 Lambo

Lambo

• PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking<br>Drinking<br>Reading<br>Scuba Diving<br>Cars and motorsport

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:58 AM

thumbsup Your OK. Shame about the car - but it can be replaced. If your looking for a cheap replacement :poke: Seriously - Glad you are OK.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users