water pump wheel bearing engine mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

I've had my low coolant light come on a few times over the last few days, at it's worse today. I checked the exp tank and the level is indeed a tad low, 1cm or so probably. I just wondered, do the water pumps on the Z20LET have the little hole that will start to leak water when the pump is beginning to fail? When I changed the oil the other week I noticed I had a dried water marks down the back of the engine underneath the alternator area where some coolant seems to have been leaking, would this be water leaking from the pump?

I can't see any actual hose leaks or anything and haven't had a chance yet to get the under tray back off and inspect further.

Unrelated to the above I am also getting some grinding type noise from the rear under certain cornering conditions. Most noticeable when taking a roundabout a bit sprightly, so right hand turns. I was thinking wheel bearing, but I cannot feel any play, do they fail without play, or would there be play if the bearing was worn? I guess the other possibility is engine side engine mounts as I've read that can make a horrid sound, but when going on/off the throttle in say a low gear I don't really hear anything that would suggest the mounts are dead.

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

jack up the side of the car which is suspect and spin the wheel, if the bearing is shot you will hear it.. 

if you need a new one drop me a PM ive got a couple brand new FAG ones sat here. 

#3 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

Floor it in first gear.  You'll know if your engine mounts are shot immediately from the noise.

I had a noise I thought was a wheel bearing.  Turned out the alternator bearings had given up (high mileage car).

Edited by Horace, 04 December 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#4 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

jack up the side of the car which is suspect and spin the wheel, if the bearing is shot you will hear it.. 

if you need a new one drop me a PM ive got a couple brand new FAG ones sat here. 

Also hold onto the spring at the same time, you will feel the grumbling through your hand if its not noisy enough yet.

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Unrelated to the above I am also getting some grinding type noise from the rear under certain cornering conditions. Most noticeable when taking a roundabout a bit sprightly, so right hand turns. I was thinking wheel bearing, but I cannot feel any play, do they fail without play, or would there be play if the bearing was worn? I guess the other possibility is engine side engine mounts as I've read that can make a horrid sound, but when going on/off the throttle in say a low gear I don't really hear anything that would suggest the mounts are dead.

Check both your drive shafts are fully seated home in the gearbox, sometime they can come out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water pump, wheel bearing, engine mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users