Photo

Outer Cv Boot Info For Passenger Driveshaft.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:06 PM

After some serious searching on here, I still haven't managed to a definitive outer CV boot part number or make/model from another vehicle that I could buy and install please?

AutoVaux can't supply them any more BTW.

Can anyone advise please?

Edited by Nev, 08 July 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

iirc the problem was the shore of the boot

#3 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:00 PM

Probably worth trying these guys http://www.cpsdrivel....uk/contact-us/

Spoke to them a few weeks ago and they would even supply uprated shafts to fit, c£300 a pop though.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

Probably worth trying these guys http://www.cpsdrivel....uk/contact-us/

Spoke to them a few weeks ago and they would even supply uprated shafts to fit, c£300 a pop though.

Thankyou, I'll gve them a ring and see if they can offer a correctly sized boot that is thick and strong.

BTW for anyone else in the same position as me, I've measured the outside boot, it's approx 100mm long, 86mm diam one end, 29mm diam other end.

Edited by Nev, 08 July 2019 - 08:04 PM.

#5 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

What's wrong with these?
https://www.google.c...=2dwf9pKYIMB1cM

Only a few mms out. I used them racing for 6 years and they were fine.

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

BTW for anyone else in the same position as me, I've measured the outside boot, it's approx 100mm long, 86mm diam one end, 29mm diam other end.

I measured my spare kia sedona inner boot.

105mm long, 90mm diam one end, 28mm diam other end.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

After stripping my CV joint apart this afternoon, I can see it has some really bad wear on all 6 of the races that the ball bearings sit in. Hence it's not rebuildable in it current state. Am tempted to buy a whole new drive shaft TBH, as the other CV joint is bound to have some wear on it too.

#8 Johnturner

Johnturner

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Nev.

I have a complete new drive shaft you can buy for £150 .If you are interested PM me with your telephone number. I am 40 miles from Bristol.

#9 Johnturner

Johnturner

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

Nev

I have probably got a pair.

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

Thanks John, you have PM.

Edited by Nev, 09 July 2019 - 08:30 PM.

#11 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

After stripping my CV joint apart this afternoon, I can see it has some really bad wear on all 6 of the races that the ball bearings sit in. Hence it's not rebuildable in it current state. Am tempted to buy a whole new drive shaft TBH, as the other CV joint is bound to have some wear on it too.

Is there any excessive play in it, or is it making a noise?  Was the boot damaged, is that why you are changing it?

#12 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

Is there any excessive play in it, or is it making a noise?  Was the boot damaged, is that why you are changing it?

When I place it on the floor and counter rotate the 2 halves there is a titchy bit of play in, which when multiplied up to 430 ft/lb of torque translates to a bit of a "pick up clunk", maybe 2 or 3 degrees. I've also had increasing humming sounds from the drive train over the last 2 years, hard to know if it's CV joints, the box, the diff, or the bearings.

On inspection today, the pitting in the CV 1/2 cup is quite serious really, and the shaft ball bearing locators have some marks as well.

Hence, it needs replacing. Bear in mind this thing has seen 450 ft/lb of torque at times (when my Courtenay map became "run away"), it's a miracle it's lasted as long as it has.

Edited by Nev, 10 July 2019 - 09:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users