Outdoor Car Cover breathable weatherproof

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen

I've searched through a load of car cover threads but most of them are for sale posts with much bidding and not so much info that I'm looking for. Apologies if I've missed the topics being covered (NPI) previously in detail...

Simply put, I'm trying to find out which outdoor cover to get.

I'm considering the obvious points really and looking for something which:
  • won't damage the paint,
  • provides enough protection to stop/slow the brake discs corroding,
  • fits well enough to stay put when the wind is at is usual GF10 for where I live,
  • is breathable yet providing effective weather protection,
  • easy to put on and take off.
Too much to ask?

All helpful/hilarious opinions and views welcomed.

Thanks

Dunk

EDIT: Nuts! Somehow I've managed to post this in the wrong forum. *cough* Excuse me Mr Mod, could you put this in its rightful place? Thanks

Edited by MrDCG, 22 November 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#2 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

http://www.vx220.org...6110-car-cover/ Then if you're flush and a hairdresser look at car coons ;)

#3 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

There is only one I use and its a tailored stormforce cover.

#4 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I got a cheapo one from pound strecher less than a tenner I think. It fitted nice and tight aroud the VX was easy to get on and off, was ok in the wind, would of been better if it had straps underneath, you could purhaps attach some to it? Have you looked at the official outdoor cover? That's got straps to strap underneath, was much better, but ultimatly a garage is better if you have the space :)

#5 sykes

sykes

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

I've got the Halfords one (think it's 'medium sized') nice snug fit with straps side-to-side. Would benefit from a back-to-front strap to stop the strongest winds exposing the rear-end (ooh-eer!). It's breathable, has a soft inner, waterproof, elasticated around the bottom and generally seems excellent. I live on in a 4th floor flat, and don't want to put the cover on when the car is: a- wet b- dirty c- hot So i've only fitted it twice in the year I've had it. Open to offers if you'll make better use of it than me?

Edited by sykes, 22 November 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/106110-car-cover/

Then if you're flush and a hairdresser look at car coons ;)/>

Haha, I wouldn't say If your flush and a hairdresser ;)/> but if you've got the space outside and don't mind spending you can't beat a carcoon :) better than a garage IMO as its air tight unless you've got a fancy garage
http://www.carcoon.c...n-outdoor#intro
other than that if your looking for a cover these guys have won a lot of awards this year
http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/

Edited by Aimy, 22 November 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#7 Sylph Hunter

Sylph Hunter

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

:yeahthat:

Had a number of these for different cars. Wouldn't go with anything else.

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have the small halfords cover and its a great fit. Comes in at about 70 quid. I have found its fairly easy to put on and take off BUT I do find this a barrier to getting it out (the car) just because its one extra thing to do. As said above a strong wind will lift one end so I added my own front to back strap (I can drive a sewing machine too poof ). They are effective and do stop the discs colouring up even when left for a month or two.

Edited by FLD, 22 November 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#9 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Only solution which ticks all the boxes is a garage I'm afraid. Hope you find something close though.

#10 mikebristol

mikebristol

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

:yeahthat:

Had a number of these for different cars. Wouldn't go with anything else.

I got a stormforce last year from www.coveryourcar.co.uk and I'm really pleased with it. In fact you have to be careful when you've taken the cover off when wet and rolled it up, as it will hold water, and I've got wet a couple of times! You can put the cover on when the car's wet as well, just not when it's dirty.

Only slightly annoying thing was that after 2 weeks of ownership I noticed some small holes in the front of the cover. Looks like a cat has jumped on it, and cos the front wasn't touching the bodywork the cat has used its claws. Doesn't actually seem to effect the cover working tho.

#11 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Only solution which ticks all the boxes is a garage I'm afraid. Hope you find something close though.

Yeah that ^^^ apart from a carcoon ;)

#12 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yeah that ^^^ apart from a carcoon ;)/>

Aimy I am with you on that one. Get my car carcoon next week. Waited already 2 weeks for it. Are they easy to use etc.??

#13 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Got my stormforce out the garage a couple of weeks ago to find that a mouse has chewed through from one side to the other :D Hardly bothered with it last year. If you take the cover off when it's when it's then a nightmare to put back on and you end up getting soaked. Those carcoon's look handy if you don't plan on using the car.

#14 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

There must be a gazillion threads on car covers. High end option - Coverzone (tailored to fit the VX). Nearly as good option which a lot of us have is the Halfords car cover. I too use the Halfords car cover and have for 3 1/2 years. Nothing done to it, and it's still waterproof thumbsup - http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165611

#15 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yeah that ^^^ apart from a carcoon ;)

Even a garage is no guarantee on paint protection

#16 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've got the Halfords one (think it's 'medium sized') nice snug fit with straps side-to-side. Would benefit from a back-to-front strap to stop the strongest winds exposing the rear-end (ooh-eer!).

It's breathable, has a soft inner, waterproof, elasticated around the bottom and generally seems excellent.

I live on in a 4th floor flat, and don't want to put the cover on when the car is:
a- wet
b- dirty
c- hot

So i've only fitted it twice in the year I've had it. Open to offers if you'll make better use of it than me?

Mine is an outdoor car used regularly. I toyed with the idea of getting a cover but I agree fully with the points above which ruled out any practical use for it for me, I'd have to clean the car every time so it wouldn't scratch the paint and I have to wait for the car to cool fully and dry off if wet. If I was not driving the car for months on end then I would probably get one, but even that I would have concern over breathability and build up of slight dampness.

#17 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. Particularly like the look of the Carcoons

http://www.vx220.org...6110-car-cover/

Then if you're flush and a hairdresser look at car coons ;)

&

There must be a gazillion threads on car covers.

High end option - Coverzone (tailored to fit the VX). Nearly as good option which a lot of us have is the Halfords car cover. I too use the Halfords car cover and have for 3 1/2 years. Nothing done to it, and it's still waterproof thumbsup - http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165611

Rob & Bob, sorry gents. My search skills are plainly sub-padawan. I found mostly sale threads and gave up after a little while.

You mean like I had at my last house, with the extra bedroom, the en suites and the convenience and warmth of a modern insulated, efficiently heated new build? We had to pay more for the privilege of downsizing to a small, cold, 50s semi just a couple of streets away so we can live in the catchment area for the good school! Pesky kids! :huh:

*not at all bitter about losing my garage*

#18 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Playing with chainsaws and other power tools, Films, rallying, fishing, Vx

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Aimy I am with you on that one. Get my car carcoon next week. Waited already 2 weeks for it. Are they easy to use etc.??

Hi Rickwoo118, do you intend to use your carcoon outside? If so do you think they are durable enough to with stand high winds.
Ps: could you post up what you have purchased please.

Sorry to hijack thread MRDCG. I have a storm force cover, works well.

#19 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

There not too bad, they don't like a lot of snow on top of them,best thing to do is to brush it of otherwise it deflates them slightly (I'm talking a lot of snow though) when's brought my car out of winter storage it was bone dry! Just be a little careful and try not to drag the cover over/of the car. There good for parking your car away and just forgetting for a few months but no good if your bringing the car in and out every week/few days....you've just reminded me :) I need to connect the inbuilt battery charger to mine

Edited by Aimy, 22 November 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#20 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hi Rickwoo118, do you intend to use your carcoon outside? If so do you think they are durable enough to with stand high winds.
Ps: could you post up what you have purchased please.

Sorry to hijack thread MRDCG. I have a storm force cover, works well.

There not bad in winds,they move about a little but obviously it's not going to take of lol as the cars sat on a sheet! I could of ordered the smaller carcoon but I'm glad I got the bigger one as there's plenty of room if it does move slightly it doesn't rub on the car

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Outdoor, Car, Cover, breathable, weatherproof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users