Photo

Crash Box And Front Clam - Yup That Again!

crash box crash structure front clam front bonnet radiator surround breaking oem

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Mine was cleaned, primed (both parts) with Winbond and then fixed on with tigerseal. Has been on for 5 or 6 years now.

#42 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

Cheers. Wasn't ignoring your prev advice, just interested to gauge success.... Like you say, better to get it right @ £1000+

#43 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Have a look a Stixall rapid 30 from Everbuild , Lotus are looking at this .

#44 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Cheers. Wasn't ignoring your prev advice, just interested to gauge success.... Like you say, better to get it right @ £1000+

Damn right! Most PU adhesives are pretty good and suitable for this, you just need to check the compatibility between the primer and adhesive. The primer is essential to fill the grain of the aluminium to ensure a proper bonded joint. Don't be tempted to skip this bit. If you're close by I have some primer but it doesn't decant to pst I'm afraid.

#45 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Have a look a Stixall rapid 30 from Everbuild , Lotus are looking at this .

Great - thanks, i will. I realise there are many ways to skin this cat, but Im also just a little paranoid about the surface prep as this can be my undoing... 

Although from everbuild it does sound a little like its for sticking chimneys on, not crashboxes ;)

#46 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Damn right! Most PU adhesives are pretty good and suitable for this, you just need to check the compatibility between the primer and adhesive. The primer is essential to fill the grain of the aluminium to ensure a proper bonded joint. Don't be tempted to skip this bit. If you're close by I have some primer but it doesn't decant to pst I'm afraid.

Im in new forest. Re the primer, this is just my concern. Although what confuses matters slightly is that (as per the service book) I have areas of OEM primer and areas of thin previous Betaseal (OEM) where I have removed previous box. So much as I agree re the primer thing, I am not 100% on how their recommended primer is compatible with both the PU adhesive AND the primed ally...

I once used tigerseal and it stuck to EVERYTHING.... I feel this is definitely my fallback plan (and a few trial bonds - got to be scientific about this!)

#47 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

I'm currently rebuilding my VX which includes using adhesive in various places. Lotus use the same PU glue for the whole car; windscreen frame, pedal box, sills, crashbox, etc.

I did some research when I was selecting an adhesdive and I settled on DINITROL. This kit includes 2 tubes, cleaner and primer.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ad2595089

btw, have you read through this? http://www.speedster...ox, Replace.pdf

#48 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Thanks. I havent seen that manual but have crahsbox off and chassis ready for new one so its a case of adhesive selection and primers etc. Dinitrol looks good and doesn't cost the earth (£20) - I am sure these high modulus adhesives are much the same... Its compatibility that concerns me so maybe dinotrol kit is safest bet. Will take the plunge imminently!!!!

#49 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Good luck with it thumbsup

#50 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I'm currently rebuilding my VX which includes using adhesive in various places. Lotus use the same PU glue for the whole car; windscreen frame, pedal box, sills, crashbox, etc.   I did some research when I was selecting an adhesdive and I settled on DINITROL. This kit includes 2 tubes, cleaner and primer. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ad2595089     btw, have you read through this? http://www.speedster...ox, Replace.pdf

For reference I called John (CEO @dinitrol) and he confirmed clean using isopropyl alcohol, prime (alumin./primed aluminium/old pu adhesive) using dinitrol 550. (Not 520/530) He recommends 501 for the bond due to higher modulus. Hope this helps anyone looking in future. £23 for 2 tube kit... Very reasonable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash box, crash structure, front clam, front bonnet, radiator surround, breaking, oem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users