31 replies to this topic

#1 vx220na

vx220na

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Cars, leetube.co.uk (making tunes) Gaming, Drums, Art... etc etc

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

I have always had clio's. 172, 172 cup, 182..... My only experience of RWD cars is on GT4 and I crash them a lot!! (especially the Viper!!) Any tips to getting into the the RWD mode? As I do not really want to bounce my "up n coming" VX into a central reservation. Has this been asked before? Blowed if I know... :P

#2 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

I have always had clio's. 172, 172 cup, 182.....

My only experience of RWD cars is on GT4 and I crash them a lot!! (especially the Viper!!)

Any tips to getting into the the RWD mode? As I do not really want to bounce my "up n coming" VX into a central reservation.

Has this been asked before? Blowed if I know...

:P

Go slowly! thumbsup

#3 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have always had clio's. 172, 172 cup, 182.....

My only experience of RWD cars is on GT4 and I crash them a lot!! (especially the Viper!!)

Any tips to getting into the the RWD mode? As I do not really want to bounce my "up n coming" VX into a central reservation.

Has this been asked before? Blowed if I know...

pay for offroad driver training day? i may do so soon as im only really used to fwd hot hatches..

#4 vx220na

vx220na

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

pay for offroad driver training day? i may do so soon as im only really used to fwd hot hatches..

Sounds like a plan tbh. :) Might just do that meself.

#5 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

Source a large airstrip and find the limits of the car....with instruction Failing that, a good skid pan...with instruction...at least that will give you some idea. ive only done the skid pan, but its kept me out of trouble so far ;)

#6 petrolhead1

petrolhead1

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Welcome by the way. Treat it with respect. In the dry you should (famous last words) be OK. Best training suggestion I can make is to go seek out your local outdoor kart track when its raining and practice with slicks in the wet. From that you should find there will be lots more weight at the back which has far more effect than you might expect eg recovering a slide once its starts is just a whole lot more difficult than you might imagine. Power on out of corners should be very carefully judged. Jackie Stewart did a very impressive job of teaching Captain Slow how to go quick round a track and to quote the master ' on exiting a corner never apply the throttle until your are sure you will not have to back out of it again'. In other words wait until it is completely straight before applying power. For the road - all braking to be done before you activate the steering wheel, turn in, balance the throttle, wait till its straight then apply power. Anyone else want to add something I've missed? And finally remember the duty seargent from Hill Street Blues (showing my age again) ' .... and remember people let's be careful out there....' Most of all enjoy!!

#7 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

What? Like landrovers? :blink:

Track day tuition can only do so much! The onus is on you to develop your RWD driving skills in "real life" road situations! thumbsup

A walshy day is going to be less than no use when you hit diesel on a rain soaked roundabout while your still half asleep one morning! :(

Just get out there, take it VERY STEADY and get used to the bloody thing! :D

#8 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Dan, That post was a little silly. ANY instruction about what to do when you lose control of your car (diesel or otherwise) is beneficial ;)

#9 vx220na

vx220na

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

Welcome by the way.

Treat it with respect. In the dry you should (famous last words) be OK.

Best training suggestion I can make is to go seek out your local outdoor kart track when its raining and practice with slicks in the wet. From that you should find there will be lots more weight at the back which has far more effect than you might expect eg recovering a slide once its starts is just a whole lot more difficult than you might imagine. Power on out of corners should be very carefully judged.

Done quite a bit of carting so know what you meen there. :D

Jackie Stewart did a very impressive job of teaching Captain Slow how to go quick round a track and to quote the master ' on exiting a corner never apply the throttle until your are sure you will not have to back out of it again'. In other words wait until it is completely straight before applying power.

Saw that episode and, yes that works in GT4 also. :P (did I just type that?)

For the road - all braking to be done before you activate the steering wheel, turn in, balance the throttle, wait till its straight then apply power.

Again, like go karting!! Im loving the thought of a "Go Kart" on the road ......but am sensible enough to know that it is not! lol

Im a half decent driver (as in I know my limits) and will not wipe myself out within yards of picking up the car (touch wood) and I appreciate your advice folks.

The "Go Kart" references have instilled new confidence as I now know what to expect.. ;) :D

#10 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:50 PM

Dan,

That post was a little silly.

ANY instruction about what to do when you lose control of your car (diesel or otherwise) is beneficial

;)

Track day tuition can only do so much!

:rolleyes:

But agreed, any instruction is better than no instruction! thumbsup

#11 vx220na

vx220na

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Just get out there, take it VERY STEADY and get used to the bloody thing! :D

I was thinking of doing that also. Cheers though and thanks for your input. Happy days.

#12 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

Frankly, you're a step ahead of a lot of new owners by just realising that you need to adjust your driving style. I suspect you'll be fine :) Take it easy in the wet and learn the car slowly. Yes, it is just like a kart. Yes, instruction on an airfield will really open your eyes to what the car can do in trained hands and just how fast it will bite if you get it wrong (but also how to minimise it biting in the first place). Ben

#13 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Do all your braking before the corner - steady power through - plant it after apex when wheels are square (or progessive power on during - but not too much). Normally works for me but I have been 'off' 3 times due to bad tyres :P Have you got the car yet anyways mate? Craig

#14 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Normally works for me but I have been 'off' 3 times due to bad tyres :P

Bad tyres? :blink:

Bad driver, unable to take into account that his rear tyres are shagged maybe! :rolleyes:

Surely after the first "off" your brain would tell you not to push it that hard! :beat:

*awaits "I crashed it" type thread! :( *

#15 Angelplayz

Angelplayz

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife to be, Angela & my 2 dogs Sammy & Daisy.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Normally works for me but I have been 'off' 3 times due to bad tyres :P

Bad tyres? :blink:

Bad driver, unable to take into account that his rear tyres are shagged maybe! :rolleyes:

Surely after the first "off" your brain would tell you not to push it that hard! :beat:

*awaits "I crashed it" type thread! :( *

None forthcoming.

Craig bought his car from a dealer that had fitted incorrect rear tyres, making the handling of his car erratic. I'm sure Craig will be along very soon to put his point accross but even with the wrong tyres he seemed like a decent driver with enough knowledge as to know when not to push it.

There are different types of drivers on this forum and while some of us may not have your expertise, maybe it would be more helpful if you gave some sound advice instead of just insisting that everyone is a "Bad Driver"

Just my 2 pence worth

Dean

Edited by Angelplayz, 15 September 2006 - 09:37 AM.

#16 csl_freak

csl_freak

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

Do all your braking before the corner - steady power through - plant it after apex when wheels are square (or progessive power on during - but not too much). Normally works for me but I have been 'off' 3 times due to bad tyres :P

Have you got the car yet anyways mate?

Craig

If your talking on track, then I believe you can go quite deep into corners (especially hairpins) on the brakes, as long as you are braking properly (i.e. degressif) in fact doing so increases balance of car, as opposed to just coming of the brakes before turning (which is basically taking the weight back of the front wheels, were you wanted it) in fact on slow hairpins the slight oversteer you may experience will help turn the car and thus enable you to get back on the loud pedal faster. For what its worth, for my part the "trickiest" situations are the long/fast bends where even with good setup you can catch some understeer (specially if you are tooo progressive with the accelarator), which when controlling with a little lift needs good control and be ready for steering wheeeeel correction . ofcoz if your good enough a little left foot braking would be better, but dont try that a speed unless you are comfortable with the pressure you are applying...otherwise life does get interesting... albeit briefly...I know and am now trying to train my left foot .

#17 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

No need to defend myself Dean - djegiant probably never caught my 'wrong rear tyres' thread, not his fault. However djegiant you should read back your posts before putting them on the web. You dont come across very well (often btw) thumbsdown Car sticks like glue now btw Dean... rallly Craig PS - 'off 3 times' meant 2 twitchs (easily corrected) and one 180 degree spin on a round-a-out (under 20mph I might add - standing water and unable to have time to react), hence straight to the garage to get the car's problem solved. My " :P " at the end of the sentence indicated sarcasim.. damn those emotes making me look bad.

Edited by X8 CJN, 15 September 2006 - 12:06 PM.

#18 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

I'm a newb too. Don't accelerate too fast in the wet, that's when it's caught me out. Also, see what brake pads u got, I'm upgrading to mintex ctech 1144 as I think the standard ones worry me a bit.

I'm going to go to Elvington air firled track day, Saturday 7 October 2006. Only £100 http://bookatrack.com/-pE looks fairly close-ish to where you live too

Rik

#19 fluffy

fluffy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

Very simple answer this one. Drive it like a big single seat racing car. ie very smooth and co-ordinated with all the controls. It might sound boring but once you realise how crap the vx can make your driving look if you go at it like a gorilla, you have to improve how you interact with the car and thats where the (fun) challenge is. Your old hot hatches you could probably throw around and have a lot of fun with. The vx won't like that at all and will probably spit you in the nearest hedge. Also before you set off for the first time, check the tyre pressures and make sure its got the right tyres on! I would argue that if you get the technique right you'll be faster cross country than in any of your hot hatches, the difference being to get there will require more effort and concentration than you think is possible. I've done this by achieving a 53 minute time from east preston in sussex upto farnham in surrey - a 45 mile drive through small villages and countryside on twisty single carriageway roads, in the dark... Was buzzing from the natural high of really having to focus and make my driving mm perfect for the entire journey.

#20 s1oww

s1oww

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

There is only one way, Opposite lock and thats why the car has side windows :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users