• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

Ok thought I would do a quick 'how to' install the Seat Leon front spoiler. This has been covered by Kenni (thanks for the info) so basically my post just has more pictures.

Ok the tools I used were limited (yes I need some decent tools). Anyway.... Spoiler (£19.96 from Seat), screw fixings (4mm Zinc screws and washers) from B&Q, Drill and small bit for the pilot holes, some tape to hold it in place (or a mate) and about 3 hours of your time.

Start by offering the spoiler up to the underside of the car (note I used the kerb again, others might want to jack the car). You will notice straight away that the spoiler needs its ends trimmed and shaped, and that the middle legs need to be cut down.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Grab your tape and fix the spoiler in place. Then using the drill make a start and drill your first hole and screw in.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I would note that as you put more screws in that the spoiler does not want to go round the corners that well. I would suggest that you stick it in a hot bath to make it more supple. Finish off all the fixings and your done.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks,
Craig

#2 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

Looks cool mate B) May have to add that to 'the list' :rolleyes:

#3 Kenni

Kenni

• PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Mine ripped off on the motorway yesterday after i knocked it a few weeks ago on a path. Forgot to secure it back on. :( :tt: :( But picking up a new one on Weds.

Anyway, the ends look a bit too short? Did you cut bits out into the part were it curves, so it bends better?

heres my old one (RIP)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

btw, screaws will rip chunks off your bumper if you hit the lip, its best to change then to these plastic rivot type things:
Posted Image

Part number: 90138810 from Vauxhall.

Edited by Kenni, 17 October 2006 - 12:40 AM.

#4 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:24 AM

I cut mine a bit shorter at the end just to be a bit different. I shaped them to an angle and aligned them to suit the 'bulb' shape at the bottom of the clam that the arch creates. Good advice on the plastic fixings I will change to them (car is in a Vauxhall on Thursday for recall). Looks good Kenni, GL with the new one. Regards, Craig

#5 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

I fitted one and liked it at first but then I realized having seen a few splitters in the flesh that I had not mounted it far enough forward and it looked a bit odd. Would need to buy a new one and cut less off the ends to sort it.

#6 Astranomical102

Astranomical102

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:57 AM

Bump, Anyone know the part number?

#7 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:28 AM

Bump, Anyone know the part number?

1ML 805 903

#8 Arnie

Arnie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

I know this is the old question but has anyone noticed any improvement to downforce with this or is it just cosmetic for you guy's?

#9 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

I got no benefit from the mod. Maybe combine it with a turbo rear spoiler and you might see the difference in stability after the UK road speed limit.

#10 jonkelly

jonkelly

• PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

i should be trying this mod out this weekend... if anyone can confirm if it provides any benefit below 70mph... 55mph plus would be ideal... that would eb great i know MartinS is a fan and proving very helpful with suggestions on how to fit it!

#11 shilts

shilts

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cars, now working @ MOTORPOINT so if anyone wants to buy a cheap car.......

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thats a genius idea and cheaper than adding tubby front splitters! And i cant get flamed for trying to be a turbo!

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

side profile to illustrate concept of getting more front downforce

if you mount it under the nose, it won't work

Posted Image

#13 jonkelly

jonkelly

• PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

that kinda proves this mod pointless... especially if you include the cost of declaring it to the insurance... mmm

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

Not totally worthless but, shows you have to mount the splitter as far forward as possible for it to have any effect. It's not a case of just mounting it somewhere back underneath the front "bumper" as it needs to be the leading edge of the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users