Snap Off Steering Wheel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

well i had may NA nicked hopefully getting a another vx soon, tell me if im being dump :wacko: but can you buy one of these for the vx.

#2 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

well i had may NA nicked hopefully getting a another vx soon, tell me if im being dump :wacko: but can you buy one of these for the vx.

Sorry to hear that fella!!!!!!!!!

How did they have it away?

No idea abuot the wheel by the way.....

#3 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

broke into house nicked the keys and f***d off with the car

#4 Matt

Matt

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

I believe you can, but after hearing about a possible issue with a snap-off steering wheel that 'allegedly' could have been the cause of an accident involving a lotus i would consider it very carefully before purchasing. Also pop over to the lotus forums and have a bit of a search i'm sure there would be a lot of opinions over there.

#5 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Air Bag?

#6 Stefan_A

Stefan_A

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Photography, british sports cars, diecast models, GT racing, whiskey, project management

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

I've got this one fitted to mine, works great! >LINK< Works both as a sort of anti-theft thing as well as allowing easier access when getting into the car with soft- or hardtop fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CHRI has also recently fitted one to his yellow beast

#7 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

hi mate thanks for the link alot what did you do about the air bag side of it, hub length whats that

Edited by stef85, 24 August 2007 - 09:02 PM.

#8 james141

james141

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I can see why it would be usefull for Elise owners (no airbag) but personally I would rather have an airbag than the added security. I would rather have the car nicked than die in a crash!

Edited by james141, 25 August 2007 - 12:16 PM.

#9 Silent1

Silent1

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thorney will supply and fit one for not too much as i enquired the other week, they'll also sort the airbag light. IIRC the adapter ring for the elise snap off steering wheel is too big/small to fit

#10 Stefan_A

Stefan_A

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Photography, british sports cars, diecast models, GT racing, whiskey, project management

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

hi mate thanks for the link alot what did you do about the air bag side of it, hub length whats that

Soldering a 2.7 ohm resistor to the wires that otherwise goes to the airbag will keep that light off. I got the 30 mm adapter ring with the kit and that fits straight on to the steering column. It also gives me a better driving position. And then the snap-off adapter fits straight on to the adapter.

By the way, I also got the message from TMS that it would not fit, but it did.

#11 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

Thorney will supply and fit one for not too much as i enquired the other week, they'll also sort the airbag light.

IIRC the adapter ring for the elise snap off steering wheel is too big/small to fit

thorney can you confirm this if not i call next week many thanks lads picked my new one up today so wanna get this sorted asap im a very happy bloke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#12 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

This Thread really put me off those wheels :blink:

I'm sure im just being paranoid but if its happened once...... (or twice if you watch the vid on that thread)

:mellow:

#13 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

i know what you are saying i really do, but the amount of cars that have them compaired to the amount of incidents that you hear about are very rare. plus unless you have had you pride and joy taken from you which you may have for that im sorry but then you would really do anything for it not to happen to you again.

#14 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

that lotus in the link is the one i was telling you about. you could get a tracker fitted :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Joe-Turbo, 27 August 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#15 stef85

stef85

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

yeah i could but i dont think so lol :P catch ya soon

#16 amanda

amanda

Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

I've got this one fitted to mine, works great! >LINK< Works both as a sort of anti-theft thing as well as allowing easier access when getting into the car with soft- or hardtop fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CHRI has also recently fitted one to his yellow beast

Sorry to hijack but I am really liking your gear shift thingy, where can i get one?

#17 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

Having the wheel come off in your hands must be Sh*t your pants time the guy in the vid did really well to recover that :wacko: :wacko: Mate of mine has a seven with a detachable wheel he's very confident about it and it dose make sense security wise. thumbsup May be you could practice putting it back on blind folded or something :blink: :o :dry: :blink: rallly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users