Photo

Fixing the VX220 Alarm System

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 sam999

sam999

• 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hi all, hope the owners of this forum don't mind this bit of blatant advertising but I'm sure this post will save you a bit of time and effort as well as a bit of cash. I run Abacus Car Alarms a Meta main dealer, which is the make of the alarm fitted to the VX220. Lately I've been getting a lot of calls from very frustrated VX220 owners with various alarm problems caused by wireless doorbells/alarm systems etc. The VX alarm will sound but the indicators do not flash is a typical occurrence of this type of false alarming.

The VX220 is fitted as standard with a modified version of the Meta M99T2 alarm (a very reliable and secure unit). The version fitted to the VX has different firmware especially developed for Vauxhall, it's these units that have the problem, the standard M99T2 is immune to this type of radio interference.

The easiest way around this problem is to replace the VX alarm with a standard Meta unit, which is a simple plug and play. I can supply a complete unit with two remote fobs and codecard. For more info or to buy click here

To replace, locate the alarm unit hidden under the dash on the passenger side (remove the stereo, prise away the chrome trim and remove fixing screws to access the unit under the dash top).

Also I've noticed that Vauxhall charge £240 for a replacement siren, I have the very same for £65 plus P&P. I can also supply replacement remote fobs but you need the 16 digit number found on the codecard.

Thanks for looking Regards Sam

www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk

Edited by techieboy, 21 September 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#2 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post - very helpful info and a good price for the system, especially considering you can keep the cat 1 status of the alarm, how much do you charge for fitting? (I'll add this to the useful thread collection too thumbsup )

#3 Scotsdave

Scotsdave

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Muff diving

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

Any chance of a group buy discount? :D Always worth asking for more money off!

#4 StealthVXT

StealthVXT

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

Any chance of a group buy discount? :D

Always worth asking for more money off!

Count me in if we can get say 20% off in a group discount buy :D

#5 TangoAlpha

TangoAlpha

Mellita, domi adsum

• 6,885 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Computers, American football, Photography

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

The VX220 is fitted as standard with a modified version of the Meta M99T2 alarm (a very reliable and secure unit). The version fitted to the VX has different firmware especially developed for Vauxhall, it’s these units that have the problem, the standard M99T2 is immune to this type of radio interference.

I have a couple of questions...why did Vauxhall want different firmware and what are the difference between their version and the version that doesn't get triggered by radio interference?

I wonder what the interface into the unit is? Buy one unit, take a copy of the "proper" firmware, flash it into another unit Posted Image

#6 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

how much for spare key fobs/reprogramming? i have the red plastic card.

#7 sam999

sam999

• 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

In answer to the questions above:

how much do you charge for fitting?

The last time I worked on one of these (well actually a Lotus Elisse) I did me back in so I'll give this one a miss (I just dont know how some of you guys get in and out of these motors without doing an injury or looking uncool) but I do know a handy bunch of fitters around the country who do mobile work, I would guess anywhere between £60 to £100 depending on you're location in relation to them.

Any chance of a group buy discount?

As you can see the price's on the web site are pretty cheap compared to Vauxhall, I'll be a bit pushed to get them down by a lot, however if anybody from this Forums area orders a new M99T2 for an extra £25 I'll supply an ignition key remote as well as the two standard remotes (normal price £49) so you'll be able to convert the igniton key into a remote as well. More info

I have a couple of questions...why did Vauxhall want different firmware and what are the difference between their version and the version that doesn't get triggered by radio interference?

As far as I know Vauxhall can plug into the VX version and interogate it for any fault codes etc. There are probably a few other mods there but nothing that would effect the end user. I've been told they charge £65 just for the privilege of plugging into it.

I wonder what the interface into the unit is? Buy one unit, take a copy of the "proper" firmware, flash it into another unit

This sounds like clever hi-tech stuff to me but you may have warranty/copyright problems with Meta/Vauxhall

how much for spare key fobs/reprogramming? i have the red plastic card.

No problem click here for more info or click here to purchase a round type fob

#8 scoob

scoob

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

Hi Sam it was me that rang ya this morning and i gotta say you were most hopeful in sorting out this issue. If it wasnt for the impending postal strike and the neighbours threating to kill me i would of ordered it straight away i really need it sorting fast ie 2mrw. anyway hope you get lots of response from the forum. top bloke chinky chinky

#9 sam999

sam999

• 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

Many thanks.

By the way found this link about accessing the alarm by removing the dash, you can clearly see the alarm in the bottom left hand corner (small black box with a red label). For instructions on how to remove the dash click here

Posted Image

#10 Crispy

Crispy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hi there, I have a standard 2001 alarm on a VX220, I have the original vauxhall "Car Pass" with a four digit numeric "Security Code" and a 5 digit/number alphanumeric "Key No". I need 1 new spare key & 2 new fobs My usual garage (who will remain nameless for now!) told me today that I need to buy a new, complete alarm system, although this doesn't seem right -- can you help? Crispy

#11 wierdjam

wierdjam

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

I linked your site for central locking kits too, i would assume knowing how friendly meta alarms can be for matching up central locking kits it would be relatively easy to fit central locking kit and have the meta alarm unlock/dearm and lock/arm. All of whic you supply....? :D Might be worth making a 2nd Topic covering central locking kits if its possible? btw on the later vx'es RCL was fitted as standard. Jamie

#12 jay_vxt22

jay_vxt22

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

ive fitted this, and it doesnt operate the central locking, on a 03 turbo

#13 Geebo

Geebo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Last weekend I had a M99T2 from sam999 fitted to my N/A. I also have central locking which was retro-fitted by my local stealer over two years ago.
After contacting Meta via their website I had the new unit fitted by my local Meta fitter/rep. Initially the new M99 wouldn't operate the central locking. He then bench tested the unit and found that it worked perfectly off the car. It wasn’t working because (according to the Meta fitter) there were two input wires missing on the standard Vaux plug, the central locking lock and unlock feeds. Yesterday he fitted two new feed wires and it now works perfectly. He was baffled how the original unit ever worked (it has for 2+ years though) He has experience of fitting thousands of Meta alarms.
The first thing he said when he first saw the VX alarm harness was that there were two wires missing from the standard wiring plug but wondered if Vaux had got around this another way. He couldn’t figure out how Vaux had wired the central locking up to the alarm unit without the two feeds.
I'm very pleased because he recoded my original fob and an extra fob (bought from ebay) to the new unit. I’m even happier because the microwave sensor is also working which it never has for the two and a half years I've owned the car.
To sum it up in my case if the new M99 was just plugged in place of the original unit the central locking wont work but with the two new feeds it works perfectly.

Edited by Geebo, 10 April 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#14 jay_vxt22

jay_vxt22

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

cheers for the reply m8, think i might have to get on to meta about it £££'s coming there way i think :(

#15 MEAGY

MEAGY

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi mate im after just a replacement sounder, can you link the on on your site that will fit straight on? cheers

#16 Geebo

Geebo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hi mate im after just a replacement sounder, can you link the on on your site that will fit straight on?

cheers

I did a search on the abacus website is this what your after?

http://abacuscaralar.....Digital Siren

#17 matt_h

matt_h

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

Bought a new fob off these guys after giving Vauxhall 3 attempts at getting me one that works. This one worked out of the box (£41.50 inc p&p) . Great! The alarm didn't quite take 16 disarm/arm's to go into programming mode (more like 5). When the little red LED flashes fast then the alarm is in programming mode. Don't forget the alarm takes 30 seconds to activate once armed!

#18 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Last weekend I had a M99T2 from sam999 fitted to my N/A. I also have central locking which was retro-fitted by my local stealer over two years ago.
After contacting Meta via their website I had the new unit fitted by my local Meta fitter/rep. Initially the new M99 wouldn't operate the central locking. He then bench tested the unit and found that it worked perfectly off the car. It wasn’t working because (according to the Meta fitter) there were two input wires missing on the standard Vaux plug, the central locking lock and unlock feeds. Yesterday he fitted two new feed wires and it now works perfectly. He was baffled how the original unit ever worked (it has for 2+ years though) He has experience of fitting thousands of Meta alarms.
The first thing he said when he first saw the VX alarm harness was that there were two wires missing from the standard wiring plug but wondered if Vaux had got around this another way. He couldn’t figure out how Vaux had wired the central locking up to the alarm unit without the two feeds.
I'm very pleased because he recoded my original fob and an extra fob (bought from ebay) to the new unit. I’m even happier because the microwave sensor is also working which it never has for the two and a half years I've owned the car.
To sum it up in my case if the new M99 was just plugged in place of the original unit the central locking wont work but with the two new feeds it works perfectly.

Does anyone have any further details on what needs done to connect the new unit up to existing central locking? Presumably you need to connect the existing central locking system up to two pins on the new Meta unit - where is the existing central locking wiring located on a VXT?

#19 petrolhead1

petrolhead1

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

An alarm related question. I have searched and also tried the owners manual which although it covers the question is useless in the extreme. I think I need to replace the batteries in the fob that sets the alarm. The wife put the keys through the washing machine recently. The fob was therefore stripped down and dried off very carefully and seems OK. I have the new batteries on order but I am aware that I could easily blow the little PCB if I fit them in the wrong way up. So the question is which way up are yours? My instinct says it should be the positive or flat side facing away from the PCB but if I am wrong its going to mean replacing the whole unit when it blows.

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

this is the circuit board that has been modded to fit a fiat flip key, but you can see the battery polarity

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users