quite interesting i thought:
Posted Image

#22 MaDFreeBiRD

MaDFreeBiRD

VX gone :( 350Z replacement :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

the 70's one is pretty cool Edit: The 1960's one looks more like the 1660's :lol:

Edited by MaDFreeBiRD, 05 September 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#23 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

I have a Speedster which still has it's original Opel decor on and it's fine for me. On a rare occasion or two I've had a few Lotus Lovers or Clones come sneer at the car, coz of it's Opel branding but when I fire her up to leave they usually turn and walk away quietly. Nothing like a free breathing NA to rise the hairs on your neck or nipples!

The front 'grilll' section on the Speedster is different than the what's on a VX so I'm not sure how it will look for you.

Here's are some heritage based alternative badges, if you can still find them

Opel 1937-1947
Posted Image

Opel 1947-1954
Posted Image

Or you could go completely mental....
Posted Image

Edited by speedster, 05 September 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#24 jazzyjeff

jazzyjeff

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied of course

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

Posted Image

I like the 1930s version... B) IMO it looks very reminiscent of Porsche from a distance (maybe the Germans saw it and liked it too!!??? ;) ).

JJ

#25 teapea

teapea

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

i do like the holden badge, looks nice, but wouldnt fit it to my car if you dont like the badge why not just debadge the grill all together?

#26 Boss VX

Boss VX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

Posted Image

I like the 1930s version... B) IMO it looks very reminiscent of Porsche from a distance (maybe the Germans saw it and liked it too!!??? ;) ).

JJ

I like the 1930s version too but probably a bit tricky to get hold of. What i really like about the VX is the ammount of people who just walk up and say "what the hell is that?". I thought the opel speedster badge may make the car even harder to rechognise and more interesting. think i may go with the new 2008 badge as this should cover all bases. Just hope it can bend over the angle on the rear clam!

#27 willow

willow

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding and wakeboarding

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have Opel badges seeing as the car is in Europe... would really like to switch the wheel badges to Vx ones, get the vx220 rear badge so people understand the LM-VX220 number plate and change the steering wheel centre - just to confuse people even more..... even a car that is one of 3 in the country has the odd look down because its an "Opel"

#28 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:GONE

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

I see this de-badging debate is a rather emotive issue and a re-occurring one too! Surely it's a matter of personal taste? rant If you want to de-badge and judging by the amount of pictures of de-badged VX's on this site it's certainly a very popular mod, then it's your car go ahead. It doesn't have to mean that your ashamed of your car, just perhaps want to distance yourself from the repmobile image that the branding brings to mind. The car's better than that. As for re-badging a VX as an Opel then why not, again its personal taste weren't all the VX's/Speedsters built on the same production line along side the Elise at Hethel. Weren't they also sold in the US as a GM, in Australia as a Holden and I even saw one on a rotating stand at Incheon international Airport in Korea branded as a Daewoo! Re-badging it a lotus also gets repeatedly mentioned with some real distain! But surely it is a Lotus as much as it is a Vauxhall, Opel, GM, Holden or Daewoo. If anything it's more Lotus than any of the others and Lotus's own Type 116 moniker reflects that fact. I can see a parallel here with the 1960's Dino 246 GT an achingly beautiful car designed and built by Ferrari but badged as a Dino and sold through Fiat dealerships. At the time the only Ferrari branding to be found on the car was on the engine but today you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have a Ferrari Prancing horse or two on it and the Ferrari Owners club don't protest and the factory are rightfully proud of it for being one of there most beautiful cars. Sure calling it a BMW or any other non-related marque would be ludicrous but there is a credible link here, true heritage in the ties between these cars and why shouldn't they be recognized? Lotus are rightfully proud of the VX220, why cant the VX220 be proud of being a lotus? It's not a body kitted MR2 claiming to be a Ferrari it's a Lotus built, Lotus developed piece of engineering with GM running gear and bespoke bodywork. If you’re proud to own a Vauxhall VX220 then good for you If your proud to own a VX220 but don't like to shout about the Vauxhall part then that's your choice, is this not the VX220 owner’s website? Not the Vauxhall owners club??? I'm an ex-Lotus Elise owner and I've come over to the VX220 because of the car's relative rarity, stronger engine and good looks, not because it's a Vauxhall, GM or Daewoo but because its' the best Lotus I can afford to spank round a track on a regular basis! The fact that it doesn't wear a Lotus badge doesn't bother me but the fact that mine doesn't wear a Vauxhall badge either is just fine with me. I'm proud of my new acquisition for the car it is, not for the branding it was sold with. I'm sure youv'e all been through these arguments 100 times before but I'm new to this website and in catching up I keep seeing these same arguments and little jibes at other members for what is a personal and purely subjective point, and this is mine! IMO :poke:

#29 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:43 AM

nice post above thumbsup . -------------------- Personally i'd much rather an opel badge on the front. I'll not defend that preference as i don't need to but would like to add as an explanation, that i just think it looks better. Less complicated/fussy than the griffin and sums up the instant 'lightening bolt' response of the vx's input more than a legendary bird does. For me it's more about fitting in with the ethos of the car and the straight lined body contours, rather than liking or not liking a visual representation of any one manufacturer over another. I would debadge the front totally but think that the mouth and 'V' tooth within it, needs something in there. I think the silver vx's profit more from having the 'V' in the front grill but understand why the coloured's sometimes remove theirs and subsequently their front badges. Willow/Paul..If we get a chance to meet up sometime, i'll happily swap any badges with you thumbsup .

#30 Freedo

Freedo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

Mnnn, I may get a Holden badge...

#31 davep24

davep24

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Lotus are rightfully proud of the VX220, why cant the VX220 be proud of being a lotus?

:poke:

i would'nt exactly say lotus are proud of the VX220 after what happened at the 60th anniversary.

btw, ive just refitted a vauxhall badge to the rear after having the clamshell replaced last year, gives the car identity and the GF says it looks like a kit car without it

#32 almar

almar

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

#33 DanDare

DanDare

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:VX220, ,VX220, VX220,Running, music and sport.<br>Hell! anything that's more fun than staying indoors and watching telly.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

nice post above thumbsup .

--------------------

Personally i'd much rather an opel badge on the front. I'll not defend that preference as i don't need to but would like to add as an explanation, that i just think it looks better. Less complicated/fussy than the griffin and sums up the instant 'lightening bolt' response of the vx's input more than a legendary bird does. For me it's more about fitting in with the ethos of the car and the straight lined body contours, rather than liking or not liking a visual representation of any one manufacturer over another. I would debadge the front totally but think that the mouth and 'V' tooth within it, needs something in there. I think the silver vx's profit more from having the 'V' in the front grill but understand why the coloured's sometimes remove theirs and subsequently their front badges.

Willow/Paul..If we get a chance to meet up sometime, i'll happily swap any badges with you thumbsup .

Why don't you design and make your own badge and be original.

That's how car badges came about in the first place.

#34 jazzyjeff

jazzyjeff

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied of course

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

If one must fanny about it would seem more logical to me to add a Lotus badge rather than an Opel one... :rolleyes: JJ

#35 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

How 'bout making a Type 116 badge? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere on here.

#36 simsy

simsy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:Working on sports cars. Motocross bike riding. Power boating in small rib

DOB is not real...

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

quote; If one must fanny about it would seem more logical to me to add a Lotus badge rather than an Opel one! Correct!!!!!!!!! It's not an opel or a vauhall....... it's a lotus built by lotus to help the sales and marketing team at opel/vauxhall.! Why do people on this site think it's a vauxhall just because it has the badge and was sold by them.... See the whole... Call it what you want, but to me it's more Lotus than most Lotus car ever built.... The car is seen as a piece of shite by many no nothing people, as it has a vauxhall badge, does this matter or help us?

Edited by simsy, 13 February 2009 - 10:55 AM.

#37 hogman

hogman

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

No I wouldnt put a different badge on it. Mine has been de-badged by the previous owner, I would have just left it as it was! I do like the 1940's badge, now that is smart!

#38 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

I like some of these
I feel they just follow the most current trends.

Posted Image
or
Posted Image
or
Posted Image
or
Posted Image

this is my absolute favorite

Posted Image

well if you gonna make it look like some thing it not ............

#39 Lps

Lps

Team 600+

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

now if only i had a red one....

Posted Image

3 years ago...

Posted Image

#40 jonkelly

jonkelly

• PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

removing the vx220 and replacing that with a type 116 could be quiet nice, and different! would work best on a fully de-badged vx.. but i am proud of my vauxhall if someone asks me what i drive i say a vauxhall and then let them see it! they soon change there mind of vauxhall!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users