Photo

Lotus Europa S

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bobo

bobo

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Hi guys. 1st post and all that... Have been reading yr forum with great interest. I might get myself a Europa S and was wondering how easy it would be to get it up to between a SAFE 250/280bhp? and what would be involved? Including rough estimates on price. ... Would be greatly appreciated. Considering the cars 995kgs can anyone advise on what kind of performance gains can be expected with an upgrade like this ie 0-60/100 and top end (just curious) - i belive it has a VX220 6 speed box with the same ratios. I understand the car will have the same engine as a VX220t or ECOTEC and comes as standard with 200bhp. It appears some on here really know this engine and how to mod it like the back of their hands. In addition how do yr insurance cos. view heavy modding like this? Are all u guys with specialiust incurance cos? Sorry its not *exactly* VX talk but the heart is the same. Many thanks in advance. :)

#2 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

Welcome thumbsup Established Vauxhall tuners shouldn't have any problems with the Europa. Check out these websites for info; www.courtenaysport.co.uk www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk Quite a few options; simple remap - 230bhp remap + sports exhaust - 245bhp add a charge cooler - 260bhp plus bigger turbo - 280-300+bhp The 2nd stage, exhaust plus remap is excellent value. 25% more torque across the rev range, without having to touch the engine. In the VXT, this drops 0-60 to below 4.5s and 0-100 to sub 11s, but it's the in gear acceleration where you see the biggest change. 3rd gear from sub 20mph up to just shy of 100mph is ballistic... almost Porsche 996Turbo levels. AFAIK the Europa will have the F40 6 speed box from the Vectra/Signum, rather than the F23 in the Vx, but top gear and the final drive are much the same in both boxes, so performance should be similar. Only small problem is someone will need to develop a Europa-specific exhaust back box, but I'm sure Thorney/Milltek will be on the case soon.

#3 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

Welcome! Ehh... the VX has a 5-speed gearbox. The VXT can be tuned to 240-250 HP with a new chargecooler and new software. At 280 HP I guess you need a new turbo, new driveshafts etc, etc.... Only guessing, I´m a N/A guy poof

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

We're already sorting a full stage 1,2 and 3packages for it thumbsup

#5 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

main UK forum for tuning the z20 let is www.zlet.co.uk, people running 300+bhp and over 330lb/ft in astra,s etc! Lots of new stuff coming thru now should fit too. Including larger intercooler, exhaust cam, WI, manifolds, turbos. Try www.vmax.de for crazy power! thumbsup

#6 bobo

bobo

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

is between 250/80bhp regarded as crazy power? thorney - any idea of costs... ball park??? thx

#7 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

is between 250/80bhp regarded as crazy power?

No. That's just a sensible level of power. The way they should have all been from the factory. I'd consider 350-450 to be crazy power in a car this light :)

#8 bobo

bobo

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

how relyable are the mods to 250/80bhp? i mean are there a load already on the road with serious milage on them??? anyone in particular i can talk to?

#9 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

thorney - any idea of costs... ball park???

Can't imagine it will be that far removed from VX220 pricing tbh thumbsup

#10 MAP18W

MAP18W

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

Jon has a close friend at Hethel ;) ......... The Europa allegedly ;) but can't possibly confirm, uses the Z20LER powertrain from Astra H with the M32 6 speed transmission. The end calibration for the ecu has yet to be finalised by Lotus, indeed it is still being worked on, and until this is released the only cars produced so far whilst being 'production intent' are not the finished article. This means that we cannot produce our calibration (remap) until Lotus settles its own final spec and releases the full production variant. As for 250 bhp being reliable there are plenty of cars out there and yes they are reliable. My Stage 3 VXT has now covered nearly 20,000 miles with no problems. Welcome BTW!

Edited by MAP18W, 15 March 2006 - 12:58 PM.

#11 bobo

bobo

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

thanks MAP18W what is the difference between a Z20LER and whats in the 220T? sorry just trying to inform myself. Also what is the safe max bhp you can get from a z20LER with just a remap ? I assume a remap is upping the boost, am i correct? And at what point with a new car can you have a remap? does it need to be run in??? can it be changed back without at trace? thx nb - really usefull info so far. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

#12 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

Depends which engine version is in the europa (and we know how pikey lotus is.... :rolleyes: ), but Vauxhall engine development :- c20 let - old calibra z20 let - vxt220, astra z20 ler - astra sri 197bhp(?) z20 leh - astra vxr 240bhp leh is the most advanced - more power due to oil spray bar, high quality teflon coated pistons, no balance shaft, bigger injectors etc.

#13 bobo

bobo

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

thanks mate. thumbsup

#14 MAP18W

MAP18W

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

Depends which engine version is in the europa (and we know how pikey lotus is....  :rolleyes: ), but Vauxhall engine development :-

c20 let - old calibra
z20 let - vxt220, astra
z20 ler -  astra sri 197bhp(?)
z20 leh - astra vxr 240bhp

leh is the most advanced - more power due to oil spray bar, high quality teflon coated pistons, no balance shaft, bigger injectors etc.

Z20LEL - 170PS Astra H

Z20LER - 200PS Astra H

Z20LET - 200PS Astra G, VX220T

And the Europa looks like it will have the LER powertain and gearbox as previously posted.

Z20LER remap is a little more than upping the boost as we write the software to take into account numerous other factors including air mass, fuelling etc etc. On Astra H we are seeing 245bhp or so. Remapping is untraceable to diagnostics, and it is possible to write an ecu back to standard too if required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users