• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Getting rods and pistons done soon and I've heard and read various things as to oils when running the motor in. Mostly I've heard running in the first 500-800miles on a non-synthetic oil but for 2 different reasons 1. Performance - It catches the crap coming off the engine better than a synth 2. Cost - Synth is just as good but as you're changing the oil in such a short time just go a cheap non-synth I contacted our forums friend Opie oils and they recommend a full synth for breaking in http://www.opieoils....engine-oil.aspx Needless to say a little confused with which way to go. Appreciate other peoples comments or experience in the matter chinky chinky

#2 oilman

oilman

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Ooops, I think I gave you the wrong link This is the one I meant http://www.opieoils....ing-in-oil.aspx Sorry about that. Cheers Tim

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I ran mine in for 100 miles or so on mineral oil. Then did about 800 miles on semi-synth (at least one oil change in that time) before moving back onto fully synth.

#4 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

Oil man is that fully or non syth?

#5 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Rings are bed in within 50miles or so.... MAN UP and do it the hard way :) treat her mean keep her keen, none of this pussying about letting the rings glaze up a treat! http://www.millersoi..._MOTORSPORT.htm looks minreally but with some sh** chucked in... Thats tech speak for you ;) :lol:

Edited by slindborg, 15 March 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

Rings are bed in within 50miles or so.... MAN UP and do it the hard way :) treat her mean keep her keen, none of this pussying about letting the rings glaze up a treat!

I followed more of that kind of approach on the second engine. The fact it's still going is probably proof that a "harder" run-in works better than pussyfooting around like I did the first time. :rolleyes:

#7 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

Right then, oil it up and rag the sh** out of it :lol:

Edited by joe_589, 15 March 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I usually use loads of engine assembly paste for the initial lube up then run it with cheapo oil. I do a rev range run up with no load, change the oil (for the stuff I'll always use) and then run it in over the rev range again. As said dont nurse it! I then change the oil after 500 ish miles.

#9 oilman

oilman

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Oil man is that fully or non syth?

It's a mineral based oil with additives to help it bed in

#10 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Ooops, I think I gave you the wrong link

This is the one I meant

thumbsup no problem, makes more sense now :)

Rings are bed in within 50miles or so.... MAN UP and do it the hard way :) treat her mean keep her keen, none of this pussying about letting the rings glaze up a treat!

Right then, oil it up and rag the sh** out of it :lol:

Sweeeet, that's what you want I want to hear! :D

cheers guys, helps a lot!

#11 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

I was talking to Jez at BoT about this today and he said use mineral oil to run it in and treat it rough!!!!

#12 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

I was talking to Jez at BoT about this today and he said use mineral oil to run it in and treat it rough!!!!

Works for me!

#13 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Works for me!

what does? Mineral oil or treating it rough? :D

#14 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

Note a rough treating is a moderate run up the rev range and lots of snap shut throttle and engine braking on the way down ;)

#15 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

a moderate run up the rev range and lots of snap shut throttle and engine braking on the way down ;)

:yeahthat:
Exactly what I was told by an engine guy many moons ago.

#16 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

Works for me!

what does? Mineral oil or treating it rough? :D

Both (and what Slindborg says) My empirical evidence, 1, the only engine ever to fail on initial running was filled with synthetic, 2, the best engine I ever built was filled with supermarket 20/50 and abused out of the box, but within a 2/3 maximum rev limit.

#17 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Another age debate ... I am pretty sure that the turbocharger will be pleased with mineral oil ! chinky chinky

Edited by chris, 17 March 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#18 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Running mineral oil to run in is utter bollocks.

Main point of running in is to full seat the bearings and remove high points of metal finishing around the engine. This generally means the oil needs to be able to suspend metal particles well; the oil needs to have a high dispersant content. All mineral oils are low cost oils with minimised additive treats and therefore low dispersant. Stick with something decent.

#19 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Thread revival..!

So, reading the above, has anyone taken a different approach (for better or worse) to 'modern' running in process as out lined in the last few posts above?

Trying to summarise the best approach and one free of 'traditional' information which may not be relevant to modern engines.

- Use normal spec engine oil (5W-30 semi-synth GM spec - I'm not convinced manufacturers would specify a different engine oil for new cars for the running in period. I would think this is odd and ripe for causing confusion and potential warranty issues)

- Adjust usage for the first 50-100 miles involving moderately high (but not excessive) variable engine loads and rpm's (many purchasers of new cars will not strictly adhere to these schedule anyway)

- Maybe change the engine oil / filter after 1,000 miles to collect any excess debris created by the initial running in period

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users