Ice Mode

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I have recently upgraded to 16/17 combo and on a few occassion have started to experience what I think is the ice mode! I have read other threads regarding this topic to see the best upgrade to hopefully make the situation better. As we all know the abs isnt great in the first place but never experienced the same feeling on the brakes untill I changed the wheels. I have the national this year and would like to try and get this sorted before then. What would everyones advice be baring in mind it is my first track day. Disconnect the abs?? doesnt sound a good idea ?? Ive heard good and bad things about the VXR abs unit or the exige one?? Also what woul be the cost and best place to source one from? Thanks all.

Edited by RYN, 02 April 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#2 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

I have recently upgraded to 16/17 combo and on a few occassion have started to experience what I think is the ice mode!

I have read other threads regarding this topic to see the best upgrade to hopefully make the situation better.

As we all know the abs isnt great in the first place but never experienced the same feeling on the brakes untill I changed the wheels.

I have the national this year and would like to try and get this sorted before then.

What would everyones advice be baring in mind it is my first track day.

Disconnect the abs?? doesnt sound a good idea ??

Ive heard good and bad things about the VXR abs unit or the exige one??

Also what woul be the cost and best place to source one from?

Thanks all.

Change it for the 4 channel VXR/Exige job, or disconnect it.
Loads of people disconnect their ABS when tracking.

Either fit a switch under the bonnet or snip the little yellow wire and stick some bullet connectors on it so that you can disconnect/ reconnect easily.

#3 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

I have a switch fitted inside the cabin on mine, turn it off on track, much better without it

#4 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

Fit a switch, I run with mine off all the time apart from mot. Your find it quite hard to lock up the front wheels in the dry IMO. If your not confident or it's wet you can always turn it back on. Is it SC yet?

#5 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

From an insurance point of view (if you, god forbid, ever get into an accident and have to claim on insurance), probably more discrete to have bullet connectors on the snipped yellow wire. ;)

#6 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

what tyres? and have you scrubbed off all the slippery release compound yet?

#7 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Disconnect drivers front abs sensor. From s negative point if you crash then reconnect it

#8 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

Had my first ABS mom-woah-woah-woaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh-woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ment in the VX yesterday. Admittedly it was damp, having just rained briefly on a dry warm road, but i was close to considering some alternative action rather than just braking.

So, question is - where's best to get the VXR/Exige ABS from, and what price?

G

#9 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

It is crap, fit a switch, problem solved.

#10 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Had my first ABS mom-woah-woah-woaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh-woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ment in the VX yesterday. Admittedly it was damp, having just rained briefly on a dry warm road, but i was close to considering some alternative action rather than just braking.

So, question is - where's best to get the VXR/Exige ABS from, and what price?

G

Paul McStein at chris neils did a load a while back around 260-270 I think. His number is 01606 41481 ext 2 then 3 when you get the robot. Then you'll need a lotus reset on the ABS ecu thats around 75 quid I think.

I'd only consider that if you really have an issue with fitting a switch!

#11 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

[quote name='georgebc' timestamp='1301743518' post='1167643']
Fit a switch, I run with mine off all the time apart from mot. Your find it quite hard to lock up the front wheels in the dry IMO. If your not confident or it's wet you can always turn it back on. Is it SC yet?
[/quote]

The car isnt SC yet Joe is hopefully going to be doing this around May time??

[quote name='Ouchie' timestamp='1301835566' post='1168030']
[/quot

I have 888's . Noticed a difference with the 16/17 combo and the tyres much better than the old wheels and tyres and the 888 havent got up to proper temp yet.

However did notice a difference in breaking!!

#12 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I have 888's . Noticed a difference with the 16/17 combo and the tyres much better than the old wheels and tyres and the 888 havent got up to proper temp yet.

Harder tyres with less grip would lock up more easily but 888 should be fine unless you are actually driving on ice. Odd.

#13 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

To be fair, i do need to change the front tyres for something a bit newer... G

#14 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

I don't understand what ice mode is?? The abshas fired on mine before. It is gash so I turned it off. All will be pathetic due to the light weight of the car. Turn off the abs and learn how to drive properly. :rolleyes:

#15 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I don't understand what ice mode is?? The abshas fired on mine before. It is gash so I turned it off. All will be pathetic due to the light weight of the car. Turn off the abs and learn how to drive properly. :rolleyes:

To be fair, just because the car is light doesn't mean the ABS will not work correctly. If it was decent system calibrated properly then it would be fine. And on the road, even some of the best drivers will admit that ABS can really help.

G

#16 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

To be fair, just because the car is light doesn't mean the ABS will not work correctly. If it was decent system calibrated properly then it would be fine. And on the road, even some of the best drivers will admit that ABS can really help.

G

Sadly it is not a decent system and is not calibrated correctly.

#17 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

G

A quick question on what is actually happening, so i can get my head round it...

Is the system prematurely detecting lock, and releasing the brakes momentarily, effectively giving you little or no real braking power? i.e if you disable the ABS can you apply more braking pressure without actually locking the wheels and stop quicker?

Anyone with a switched system happy to demonstrate this?

G

#18 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

G

A quick question on what is actually happening, so i can get my head round it...

Is the system prematurely detecting lock, and releasing the brakes momentarily, effectively giving you little or no real braking power? i.e if you disable the ABS can you apply more braking pressure without actually locking the wheels and stop quicker?

Anyone with a switched system happy to demonstrate this?

G

I would be happy to Graeme, come on over one evening.

The real issue is the Ice Mode which kicks when you brake enthusiastically basically disabling the brakes.

#19 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

Harder tyres with less grip would lock up more easily but 888 should be fine unless you are actually driving on ice. Odd.

Yes I thought so to. But was fine untill I changed the wheels. its like I have my foot on the break and just feels like there is no pressure there.

#20 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

I have mine off and struggle to lock the wheels even in the wet under normal use. In fact the only time I can remember locking the wheels was at rockingham when I massively out braked myself! Not long ago abs was a luxury. new cars now come with more TLA systems than you can shake a stick at I find it refreshing to drive a modern car with virtually none.n being denied the use of an awful abs system isn't an issue. No different to not having traction control IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users