Bilstein Adjustable Suspension - Ride Height Too High

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 KAMIKAZESPEEDSTER

KAMIKAZESPEEDSTER

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

The problem is I cannot even set the 120mm that Lotus recommend to set this suspension to (as shown in the pic posted above) so I'm hoping for help with that. Was also thinking if I posted up that somebody else may have already fitted this kit?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
a Speedsterdriver in germany also ordered the Bilstein kit. He send the suspension back because he could not lower the ride high. So it seems not possible to lower the car with this expensive "adjustable" kit :angry2: . I dont really understand Bilstein and I am sure that nobody drives this one.

#22 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

The problem is I cannot even set the 120mm that Lotus recommend to set this suspension to (as shown in the pic posted above) so I'm hoping for help with that. Was also thinking if I posted up that somebody else may have already fitted this kit?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
a Speedsterdriver in germany also ordered the Bilstein kit. He send the suspension back because he could not lower the ride high. So it seems not possible to lower the car with this expensive "adjustable" kit :angry2: . I dont really understand Bilstein and I am sure that nobody drives this one.

Thanks for the reply. If another owner has had the same problem & had to send the suspension back that's not good. I was hoping there might be a solution. Wonder what to do now?

:rolleyes:

Edited by iVXT, 22 April 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#23 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Shorter springs should sort it

#24 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

Shorter springs should sort it

I wondered if shorter springs would do the job. Only problem is what exactly to get?

:unsure:

#25 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Can you not just return/sell them and get something that fits the VX properly? Seems silly to compromise the presumably carefully designed Bilstein setup by sticking shorter springs on them for the sake of lowering the car.

#26 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

Can you not just return/sell them and get something that fits the VX properly? Seems silly to compromise the presumably carefully designed Bilstein setup by sticking shorter springs on them for the sake of lowering the car.

Not sure at the moment if I can return them. Between where I bought them from & where I took them to get the setup done they are both looking into a solution for me but as yet haven't come up with anything. I was hoping I might get more help by posting this thread in the meantime.

It has been mentioned to me that the springs may be the wrong ones that have been supplied with the kit as I shouldn't have a problem setting the Lotus recommended ride height of 120mm all round.

I don't want to compromise the setup at all as this kit was supposed to fit a vxt properly, just like it fits the exige & elise with them all using the same chassis.

Thanks for your help.

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I don't want to compromise the setup at all as this kit was supposed to fit a vxt properly, just like it fits the exige & elise with them all using the same chassis.

But they're not the same chassis. The Exige rear subframe is totally different to the VX's subframe and has a totally different rear upper damper mount setup. Just because regular Elise/Exige dampers just about fit, it doesn't mean that uprated Cup/Track Pack suspension with quite possibly different damper lengths for different droop characteristics fit the VX.

#28 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

But they're not the same chassis. The Exige rear subframe is totally different to the VX's subframe and has a totally different rear upper damper mount setup. Just because regular Elise/Exige dampers just about fit, it doesn't mean that uprated Cup/Track Pack suspension with quite possibly different damper lengths for different droop characteristics fit the VX.

I'm confused as another member previously commented 'Should go lower than that!! Remember the chassis for the exige and vx220 are the same, its only the rear subframe that differs slightly.'

So if it's only the rear subframe that differs slightly & the chassis is the same then the front should fit the same? It's actually the front that is further out than the back albeit not by much.

Or was this never going to fit a vxt properly?

Thanks for the replies & advice.

#29 KAMIKAZESPEEDSTER

KAMIKAZESPEEDSTER

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Seems silly to compromise the presumably carefully designed Bilstein setup by sticking shorter springs on them for the sake of lowering the car.

right!
I look again into the thread (Speedsterclub) and it seems that there is no other spring set. If you want to lower the car with shorter springs you have no stroke and you are driving only on the Bump stop. The suspension has the same open length like the original bilstein. So it seems there is no way. May be the suspension is more constructed to drive on the WRC. :wacko:

#30 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Seems silly to compromise the presumably carefully designed Bilstein setup by sticking shorter springs on them for the sake of lowering the car.

right!
I look again into the thread (Speedsterclub) and it seems that there is no other spring set. If you want to lower the car with shorter springs you have no stroke and you are driving only on the Bump stop. The suspension has the same open length like the original bilstein. So it seems there is no way. May be the suspension is more constructed to drive on the WRC. :wacko:

That doesn't sound too good for finding a solution with this suspension kit then.

It's more Paris Dakar safari spec than wrc at the moment.

Cheers.

#31 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Attached below are a couple of pictures showing the current ride height & collar position, there are no more threads of adjustment to go lower. I think these are the Lotus part numbers on the Eibach springs but I can't find any reference to them on any parts site. Front springs A126C0030H also says 48/09 Rear springs B126D0060H also says 15/10 If anybody else can find out any info on these that could help. Would shorter springs work to lower the ride height without any problems if they can be sourced? Thanks a lot chinky chinky

#32 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Difficult to see the stance from a close up, but you can remove the top locking ring and win some threads. (use some threadlock) Shorter springs may bring you droop issues (loose spring), so I would simply fit some front lowering brackets there and enjoy driving...

#33 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

Difficult to see the stance from a close up, but you can remove the top locking ring and win some threads. (use some threadlock)
Shorter springs may bring you droop issues (loose spring), so I would simply fit some front lowering brackets there and enjoy driving...

That's a good idea to gain a few more mm of thread by removing the locking ring (I take it that would be safe)? That might be enough combined with a bracket for the front but still don't know about which of the 2 brackets I would need, then there is finding somebody to make the abs bracket mod & also still the problem of the rear. It's turning into a right saga this :rolleyes:

Hadn't really thought about the way of stripping the damper down till now but if I end up with different springs or removing the locking ring that would need doing. Do the dampers come apart from the adjuster knob end somehow as you wouldn't get them off over the connector for the remote canister at the other?

chinky chinky

#34 slimmy

slimmy

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

I AM IN NEED OF CHANGING MY SHOCKS ON A STANDARD VX220,I KNOW YOUR PROBLEM,THOSE SHOCKS ARE FOR AN ELISE AND NOT A VX,SPRINGS ARE MOUNTED IN A DIFF PLACE ON THE SHOCK,200 FOR A NEW NON ADJUSTABLE FOR A VX IS ROBBERY,I WILL PUT UP WITH 10MM AT THAT PRICE,SHOCKS FOR AN ELISE ARE AROUND A 100.WHAT IS THE SPRING RATING U HAVE ?WERE DID U GET THEM???I HAVE FITTED 2 NEW ELISE SHOCKS AND SPRINGS ON MY CAR SO NEED TO TRY IT OUT,DONT TRACK IT SO ITS ONLY ROAD USE,HOPE SHE STAYS ON THE ROAD...CHEERS

#35 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

If the bodies of the new shocks are much longer than your old shock bodies then you are quickly and dangerously going to run out of upward travel. That is assuming the mounting assembly at the bottom of the shock is not much more compact than std. I went through the process of what shock to buy about 6 months ago. It is not an easy decision to make. If I were you I would be tempted to talk to the guys at Bilstein who run the REBUILD SERVICE. They really seem to know what they are talking about. They quoted me GBP 80 per corner but that included new seals and bushings. I would get your original shocks rebuilt to what ever specs you are interested in. Then dispose of the Exige shocks - maybe an Elise owner will take them off your hands. That is probably the route I will follow when my Gaz come to the end of their life. Best regards, Paul Slimmy - NOT SO SURE ABOUT WRITING YOUR WHOLE REPLY WITH CAPS LOCK SELECTED.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users