New Trackcar

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#181 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

i think its safe to say you have scared the rest of the boys out there... i know a few of them are planning a few more mods for knockhill :ninja:

#182 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Looks a nice bit of kit - DSG with software added to S3 lump would be a cheaper option though :P. Granted even with software could not comment on how it would perform in a vx. Know it weighed a ton more than the 6 speed fitted and wiring hell to make work with no can-bus setup

DG

not quite the same thing though, DSG good as it is for a road car is not going to be (1) as fast, and (2) deal with the torque that a proper sequential can do, they also are dam big and heavy...

I would tend to agree with you sir ;), driven a clio cup race car with seq box and very diff to a dsg but then one was track and the other is road setup. I like manual boxes myself even if with fancy ones they are quicker :) but agree about the weight and I guess it depends how much torque as the DSG can handle a fair bit but do have limits before saying NO :D.

#183 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

i think its safe to say you have scared the rest of the boys out there... i know a few of them are planning a few more mods for knockhill :ninja:

Ha Ha!

just wait till we start on the engine then! (now it had a gearbox that will cope).

#184 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

whats the plans? alot more power?

#185 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

500nm or 10 laps whatever comes quicker :lol:

or another way to look at it is that Jamie did not need all the session to post 1:34.894 and take the win (remind me again what the fastest VX time was?)

Er that would be me on a 1:41 only seven seconds and £80K behind Jamie.

Seriously impressed with the car though Scuffers and you are no slouch behind the wheel. I am sure Team VX would make you most welcome if you ever cared to share your opinions some time.

not sure where you get £80K from? (although to be fair, from nothing it would be not far short of that).

As for me, well, my rates are very reasonable.....and you can see what can be done....

I based the £80k difference between what Jamie tells me he has sunk into the car and what I have spent on mine. Maybe £70k is closer to the mark.

#186 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

what final drives do you use in Jamies car? out of interest

#187 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

i doubt there will be much vx interest, people pay less for the car than that!! :lol:

Still... for a racing series that accepts VX's, it has a few advantages over Elises.
A slightly longer wheelbase, a good engine to be modded for high power outputs (a built Ecotec would easily hold as high power outputs as Honda engines)...

(ok I can't find one more...)

#188 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

I don't know anyone that would spend that much on a gearbox in the whole Vx community. I had a opportunity 6-9months ago to buy a sequential m32 box and was offered it for 7k if I remember correctly, was part of a group buy of 3 from a European supplier.. Couldn't justify that let alone double that. Just have to look at the video above and it's an awesome bit of kit but still struggljng to justify it

#189 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

What is a sequential M32 ? I hope this wasn't the shitty robotized manual M32 as fitted on some Alfas ?

#190 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

sequental box which used m32 driveshafts etc i will dig though my pms and see if i can find the spec

#191 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Just watched Jamie's video and two things that stand out for me. Firstly that lovely gearbox does make a difference but for £12k... Secondly, Jamie only encountered one other car on his flying lap whereas down in Club Class I can honestly say I only got one flying lap with so little traffic.

#192 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

need to get a video setup for knockhill mike

#193 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Do you know anybody with a V-Box Joe?

#194 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

it was for a converted m32 sequential dog box meant to be good for 600nm+

the company making them was:

http://www.reiger.lv/kautoss.html

not sure if the box went ahead in the end but was offered to me for 7k euros.... looking at the pms i was interested :lol: but bottled it in the end as i couldnt justify it.

might no someone with a vbox cliffie, not sure who though :lol: ;)

Edited by joe_589, 09 May 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#195 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Never heard of them... Might be good gearboxes, but I personally will never go for unknown stuff on sequential gearboxes. That's why if one day I have flappy paddle projects for the VX, I'll want to know who makes the "EP" stuff before ordering one ;) (otherwise there's loads of used Sadev boxes in France)

#196 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

yeah it worried me that if it did break i couldnt exactly get it on the trailor and pop down the road..

#197 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Never heard of them...
Might be good gearboxes, but I personally will never go for unknown stuff on sequential gearboxes.

That's why if one day I have flappy paddle projects for the VX, I'll want to know who makes the "EP" stuff before ordering one ;)
(otherwise there's loads of used Sadev boxes in France)

must say I am a bit put-back by this.....

if you want to know, why don't you just ask rather than casting assertions?

This box has taken over 2 years to develop, being a clean-sheet design (rather than some cobbled together conversion), it's made from the very best materials available, the cases are cast by the same people that do Hewlands/Xtrac's/Ricardo's/etc. and the machining is done by the same people that do the gearbox in Roger Clarke Motorsports Gobstopper.

AFAIK, it's the only transverse 3 bearing box designed for mid-engined use (as opposed to FWD boxes made to fit), and at 500Nm it's also the strongest (that will still fit).

Yes, you can go and buy a Sadev, but their biggest (ST90) is nothing like strong enough and has all the issues of a FWD box, and they are no cheaper (and that's before you consider adaptor plates/shafts/joints/mounts/etc).

Look, I am not trying to sell you all one as clearly they are not cheap and very specific application wise, but all I ask is you understand what your looking at before casting assertions.

#198 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Is there an option for using proper GKN lobro's instead of the Honda Tripodes?

#199 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ouch, sorry if there was a misunderstanding, that wasn't any kind of attack at all. My point was just that when I buy things requiring attention and periodic maintenance, I prefer to know precisely how things are made, what's the background on these, would we be stuck with one supplier for refurbs/parts/maintenance. Sadevs are not perfect, and not even really interesting for our applications, but there are loads of people knowing them around and how the service them here, that was just the point. If I was rich and didn't care about 10k more, I'll take a Xtrac, but honestly yours looks like a much more interesting feature/ratio offering, and looks very capable.

#200 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Never heard of them...
Might be good gearboxes, but I personally will never go for unknown stuff on sequential gearboxes.

That's why if one day I have flappy paddle projects for the VX, I'll want to know who makes the "EP" stuff before ordering one ;)
(otherwise there's loads of used Sadev boxes in France)

must say I am a bit put-back by this.....

if you want to know, why don't you just ask rather than casting assertions?

This box has taken over 2 years to develop, being a clean-sheet design (rather than some cobbled together conversion), it's made from the very best materials available, the cases are cast by the same people that do Hewlands/Xtrac's/Ricardo's/etc. and the machining is done by the same people that do the gearbox in Roger Clarke Motorsports Gobstopper.

AFAIK, it's the only transverse 3 bearing box designed for mid-engined use (as opposed to FWD boxes made to fit), and at 500Nm it's also the strongest (that will still fit).

Yes, you can go and buy a Sadev, but their biggest (ST90) is nothing like strong enough and has all the issues of a FWD box, and they are no cheaper (and that's before you consider adaptor plates/shafts/joints/mounts/etc).

Look, I am not trying to sell you all one as clearly they are not cheap and very specific application wise, but all I ask is you understand what your looking at before casting assertions.

Do you mean put-out by this as put back means held up or set back, and I think Alanoo was referring to the box that Joe_589 was offered (unless that is the same box you developed in which case ignore me please).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users