Photo

Supercharger - List Of Parts - Need Help!

supercharger supercharger parts list sc conversion

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi guys,

I wanna buy a supercharger for my Opel Speedster to build a Stage 1 SC Version. Everyone knows, there are fine little Supercharger Kits in the USA with components of the 2.0 SC engine called LSJ. I want to buy such a kit in used condition. Because of some modifications at our Z22SE (no Air-con etc.), this Kit has to be modificated too. All required parts are available at courtenaysport.co.uk, but I have problems to find out which parts are required for Stage 1 resp. Stage 2 and which parts are just helpful/optional.

I made a list of parts which contains all required and/or optional parts but i need your help to figure out which ones are really required and which ones are optional. I wrote some questions and comments in the list and I want to ask for corrections and answers.

I created the list in PDF and in Word and attached both versions here. You can use the Wordfile to write own comments directly in it and upload it afterwards.

The main questions are:

[*]Are the LSJ injectors applicable/mappable for a superchager modification of Z22SE (comparable to the Bosch injectors from courtenay)? Are courtenay's injector plugs needed if the LSJ Fuel rail is already in place?
    [*]Is a map sensor needed or is a blank adequate? Both (map sensor and blank) are available at courtenay but which is required/commended?
    [*]What is a breather filter, a Manifold Alignment Bung and a Top Hose? Where are these parts used and are they required or optional/helpful?
    [*]At courtenay's, a Balancer Shaft Chain Kit and a Timing Chain Kit are listed at "supercharger parts". I never heard these parts have something to do with supercharger modifications. Is it possible, these parts are listed at "supercharger parts" by mistake?
    [*]Are there any relevant parts missing in my list?
    [/list]Please check my list and make corrections and comments to it. Such a correct list will be very useful for other VX220 drivers in future, if they want to do the same as me.

Thanks a lot and best regards from Germany,

Benny

Attached Files

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

• are the LSJ injectors applicable/mappable for a superchager modification of Z22SE (comparable to the Bosch injectors from courtenay)? Are courtenay's injector plugs needed if the LSJ Fuel rail is already in place? - You need the Bosch injectors as the LSJ cannot be easily mapped
  • Is a map sensor needed or is a blank adequate? Both (map sensor and blank) are available at courtenay but which is required/commended? - You need those parts
  • What is a breather filter, a Manifold Alignment Bung and a Top Hose? Where are these parts used and are they required or optional/helpful? - You need all of those parts
  • At courtenay's, a Balancer Shaft Chain Kit and a Timing Chain Kit are listed at "supercharger parts". I never heard these parts have something to do with supercharger modifications. Is it possible, these parts are listed at "supercharger parts" by mistake? - they are just standard service items, but it's recommended you change them due to mileage/age of the engine
  • Are there any relevant parts missing in my list? - Item 18 - SC 68mm Throttle Body, personally I would use this and not bother with item - Throttle Body Spacer

Edited by vocky, 29 November 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

breather filter = rocker cover breather
top hose = hose to bypass the SC end piece.
See usage of the second in my topic: http://www.vx220.org...y-sc-conversion

#4 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the answers!

@Vocky: Do i really need a map sensor and the blank? Courtenay writes to the blank: "Alloy map sensor blank for Z22SE supercharger conversion to blank supercharger map sensor location which is not required." I dont understand that!
Do you know, which Bosch injectors are needed exyactly? Maybe I can get them for a better price in Germany or in good used condition. Do you know in which cars these injectors are used stock?
I read, the 68mm TB is difficult to map without a free programmable ECU (which I dont have). This could be the reason, why Courtenay offers this adapter plate for stock TB. Do you have more information to this?

@smiley: Your SC conversion posting is really great. Im impressed. So, this top hose is a part of the stock coolage system and required for SC conversion. Did you used the injectors of a VX220 Turbo? Are these ones comparable to the ones of Courtenay??
I saw, you used the LSJ 68mm TB in your conversion. Can you tell me something about the problems with it? Did you just switshed the Pins and ran it with the normal map by Courtenay. Is there a verified map to use this TB with a Stage 1 Kit?
And hey, dont you use a Map Sensor? I thougt this is required...

Thanks and Regards,

Benny

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

Yes, you do need the blank and the new map sensor. The blank plugs the hole in the supercharger where the MAP sensor is usually fitted on the standard US engines. On the Z22SE, the MAP sensor that we have to use is mounted in the inlet manifold where the US engines have a TMAP sensor. 68mm throttle body works perfectly on the SC conversion. I've never had a problem with it, which is totally different to when I tried to run it on the standard NA car. Should be no problem running it with a Stage 1 conversion but I wouldn't bother on a Stage 1, unless I already had the throttle body. The adapter plate is just used to mount the standard throttle body to the supercharger, as the bolt pattern is slightly different.

#6 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

z20let fuel injectors are the ones used for the z22se stage 1 & 2 sc conversions 68mm TB works fine once the wires are swapped, but you probably could use the 58mm TB on a stage 1 sc

#7 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Thanks a lot, sounds good.

If I buy the z20let injectors completely with plugs and fuel rail (here on ebay), can I mount the injectors with plugs to my Z22SE Fuel Rail? Or do I need the injector plugs from Courtenay anyway?

@techieboy: Thanks, now I got it. Location of origin Map-Sensor gets closed (plugged), Map-Sensor has to be mounted to intake manifold on position of origin TMap-Sensor and the origin Tmap-Sensor is useless. Right?

Regards, Benny

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Map-Sensor has to be mounted to intake manifold on position of origin TMap-Sensor and the origin Tmap-Sensor is useless. Right?

Correct. thumbsup

#9 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

If I buy the z20let injectors completely with plugs and fuel rail (here on ebay), can I mount the injectors with plugs to my Z22SE Fuel Rail? Or do I need the injector plugs from Courtenay anyway?

just get the injectors from the z20let, you don't need the fuel rail because you retain the z22se fuel rail.
you do need the bosch injector plugs, they are standard on many alfa engines

#10 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

just get the injectors from the z20let, you don't need the fuel rail because you retain the z22se fuel rail.
you do need the bosch injector plugs, they are standard on many alfa engines

Plus that Ebay sale seems to be for the rail (which you don't need) only and does NOT include the injectors (even though they are in the photo).

#11 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

@Benny, are you the Benny_Berlin that started the supercharger topic on the German forum? If so, great that you decided to go on with this despite the comments ... Injectors (Z20LET) are Bosch 0280156021 (one set for sale on eBay.de, but please don't start bidding :happy: ). The wiring needs to be changed to the connectors for these injectors. Wiring has to be extended anyhow, as the ECU has to move. You might be interested in this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item43ab82e490 And thanks for starting this, as I had more or less the same questions and it just takes an awful long time to find answers!

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

@smiley: Your SC conversion posting is really great. Im impressed. So, this top hose is a part of the stock coolage system and required for SC conversion. Did you used the injectors of a VX220 Turbo? Are these ones comparable to the ones of Courtenay??
I saw, you used the LSJ 68mm TB in your conversion. Can you tell me something about the problems with it? Did you just switshed the Pins and ran it with the normal map by Courtenay. Is there a verified map to use this TB with a Stage 1 Kit?
And hey, dont you use a Map Sensor? I thougt this is required...

yes, top hose reroutes the oem hose around the SC end piece. You need the S shaped hose, and the alloy pipe piece to connect the 2.
I used the turbo injectors (bought from courtenay), and rebuild the connectors to bosch.
No problem withthe 68mm lsj. I have only heared of throttle problems when putting a to much smoothed 58mm, or a 65mm on an NA.
For SC, no problem with using either the stock 58mm, 65mm (part of 2.4 inlet manifold kitt) or 68mm lsj
Just switched the pins as in the pictures from my thread, and have been running the (old) base map for almost a year. (not perfect, but it runs)

No knowledge on stage 1, other then you need a larger then stock 3.35 pully. No idea how big the pully must be.
Hardly any one uses stage 1, as stage 2 is better bang for bucks.
I used the courtenay map sensor.

All my stuff other then the SC and manifold were purchased at courtenay.

#13 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

@alexb: Yes, I am the one who already tried to discuss this topic in the german forum. But its hard to find informations there.
I bought the Z20LET injectors at ebay.co.uk in good used condition for £50, this is much more favorable than £282 at courtenay. Now, I just need the injector plugs and saved a lot of money.
The main parts of the supercharger kit are alredy orderd in USA. For the used Supercharger with throttel body and inlet manifold, I paid £540 incl. shipping to germany. Even with customs and taxes, this is a good price. The rest of parts, I can buy at courtenay for ~£420 (see attachment) and the small 100A alternator is available at ebay.de.
One question to you: You said, the wiring of the injectors has to be changed. I know the wiring for the injectors has to be extended but does it really has to be changed? For all I know, the wiring of the (68mm) throttel body has to be extended and changed but the injectors ...? P.S. This TB harness adapter looks good (but its not cheap). But are you sure its the right one? I thought, there's a 8-pin connector on ECU and TB ?!

@smiley: Thanks for information! In your conversion thread, I've seen you are using a 5 ribbon belt on a 6 ribbon pulley. Why do you do this, isn't this problematic? Is this the stock GM Pulley that comes with the supercharger from the states? Did you "just" aligned the pulley and it works? I think, I have to buy the stage I pulley anyway because it's larger ... correct?

Thanks and regards, Benny

Attached Files

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

@smiley: Thanks for information! In your conversion thread, I've seen you are using a 5 ribbon belt on a 6 ribbon pulley. Why do you do this, isn't this problematic? Is this the stock GM Pulley that comes with the supercharger from the states? Did you "just" aligned the pulley and it works? I think, I have to buy the stage I pulley anyway because it's larger ... correct?

LSJ engine in the States uses a 6 peak crank pulley and 6-peak alternator pulley, so the standard pulley has 6 peaks to match. In Europe, the Z22SE engine has a 5-peak crank pulley and alternator pulley. So, moving the standard SC pulley out by 1.5mm, means we can use use the 6-peak pulley on the supercharger safely with a 5-peak belt, without having to get a custom 5-peak pulley made for the supercharger.

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

One question to you: You said, the wiring of the injectors has to be changed. I know the wiring for the injectors has to be extended but does it really has to be changed? For all I know, the wiring of the (68mm) throttel body has to be extended

you do not need to extend the TB wiring, just alter the pin positions.

The injector plugs need changing to Bosch plugs, if you are clever you will find some secondhand plugs with long wires attached, then it's easy to extend the injector loom.

#16 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

@techieboy: Thanks for information. Do you know about the Stage I pulley and the stock pulley? Can I use the stock pulley for my Stage I conversation (w/o intercooler) or is the manifold pressure to high (to hot) with this small pulley? @vocky: Thanks for your hint with the wired plugs. I think, the acquisition of those plugs has more to do with knowledge than with cleverness. But Im clever enough to ask for it: Where can I find those plugs with long wires? In which cars are them builded in? Do you have a part number for me? Thanks and regards, Benny

#17 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Once upon a time, on here, I seem to recall reading that the injector plugs were the same as used on a V6 Vauxhall Omega (and as they're standard Bosch plugs, I guess half the cars on the road in reality). If that is the case, then this could be a very cheap source of the plugs and a nice length of pre-connected cable. thumbsup

Even the brand new loom with plugs is only £5 more.

Sorry, not actually sure what the standard size pulley on the LSJ supercharger is. Courtenay had to fit a smaller one (3.4" maybe?) for my original Stage 2 conversion and I've now got a smaller 2.9" modular pulley for the Stage 3 conversion.

Edited by techieboy, 06 December 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#18 SpeedyVX

SpeedyVX

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

I have another question to everyone here: Its about the alternator. I know, a 100A alternator is required because its shorter and the S/C manifold fits behind. The question is, can I buy any 100A alternator or has it to be an OEM part? On Ebay, there are new 100A alternators for 60 EUR and for 220 EUR. Does both parts fit for my conversion? I really dont want to buy an alternater that doesnt fit!

Thanks and regards, Benny

#19 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

The Stage 2 (= std black 6-rib LSJ pulley) = 3.35"

#20 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

The cheap one is for an iron Z20LET turbo lump and doesn't fit on the 2,2.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, supercharger parts list, sc conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users