Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#1 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

So the worst kept secret is out.

I have the sponsors, I have the car, I have some of the bits I need and I sort of have my wife's backing blessing permission resignation to compete.

So the strip down and rebuild begins. My plan is to take it to full MSA log book specification whilst keeping it road legal thus it will be eligable for National Championships as well as Time Attack but meaning I can still drive it to the Euro Trip.

I have had a crack in the rear subframe for ever and whilst it has never grown and is not in a high stress area, now is the time to swap it out so last weekend Joe_589 and Chris UK came on over to my gaff and we started pulling it apart.

Off came the rear clam, out came the supercharger, out came the exhaust and manifolds and off came the ancillaries then off to KFC we went.

Back at it for the final push and out came the engine and gearbox. That was more than enough for the three of us on a cold Winter's day so we called it quits for the day.

The weekend just gone saw me with half a day free so back down the garage with the intention of stripping the rear subframe. I had Techie due over for a gander and to collect some booty so I wanted to leave the bodywork in situ for when he came down (I am resting the rear clam on the car for storage) so he can see what is planned. This gave me time to kill so I stuck some rear wheels on the front of the car to see what clearances were like as I have the intentions of running 17's all round if I can.

Got to pulling things apart and soon realised there were more things attached to both the tub and rear subframe than I originally remembered so I thought it best to strip down the subframe on the car. Jacked it up, secured the axle stands and stripped all the brakes, suspension, hubs, suspension arms et al before running out of body temperature and light.

All that is left is one engine mount on the drivers side (the nut underneath is rounded somehow) and remove the rear hydraulic brake lines as some designer in their infinite wisdom, thought it was a great idea to bolt them through a tag on the subframe.

That is about as far as it has gone, I have a list as long as a gorilla's arm to do before March but as long as I can keep earning the brownie points at home and get the time, I reckon it is achievable.

Once I learn how to post remotely hosted pictures, I may put some on as I progress. In the meantime, it is fingers crossed for a not too snowy Winter and a pair of thermal pants for Christmas.

#2 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Good luck Mike thumbsup

#3 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Fairplay thumbsup So is that 3 vx's running now?

#4 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

should I make it 4? :D good luck Mike, problem is I now don't know who to support

Edited by NickB777, 12 December 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#5 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Ian. Cheers Jules: Not for 2012, just Joe and myself. Jimmy is taking a year out as him and Lisa are expecting a little bundle of baby in January and TA will be a bit much to manage. We may see him do a one hit wonder just to keep me and Joe in check and remind us who is the Daddy but he will be around supporting.

#6 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Good luck both of you! Makes it more interesting having two VX's racing. Ill defo make a couple of races next year.

#7 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Support us both, we are a team after all and we need to make sure we are out there beating the others. Only time will tell which one of us is Vettel and which is Webber.

#8 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Good luck Mike, I'll be along to at least a couple of the races to support the pair of you.

#9 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Only time will tell which one of us is Vettel and which is Webber.

:lol:

#10 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Support us both

good luck to both of you ......will be at brands

#11 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Good luck with it all. chinky chinky

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

I had Techie due over for a gander and to collect some booty so I wanted to leave the bodywork in situ for when he came down (I am resting the rear clam on the car for storage) so he can see what is planned.

And mighty fine it looked, too. Imnotworthy

Like this year, I'll be at as many as I can and fully prepared for high speed early morning spares runs again for either of you. Hopefully the local wildlife won't be so attracted to the front of the Audi this time. Exciting times. thumbsup

#13 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck. But where are the pictures? BR, Per

#14 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

I have had a crack in the rear subframe for ever and whilst it has never grown and is not in a high stress area, now is the time to swap it out so last weekend Joe_589 and Chris UK came on over to my gaff and we started pulling it apart.

Do you intend to swap the subframe?

I noticed a crack in mine 4 years ago and after consultation with Steve Gugliemi he welded it in situ. Did quite a few track days with it before it going into "hibernation" and every thing was ok. I know the stresses from Time attack may be more than track days but welding may be ok

#15 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Whats your plans for the engine if you have taken the supercharger off? Intrigued... Was talking to someone yesterday who is both supercharging his B207 and turbo charging it with a GT35 in series... maye time for you to do some R&D ;) Good luck.

#16 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

How exciting!

#17 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Good luck with this Mike. :tt: Steve

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

dropbox is pretty easy to dump your images to , then put them in a public folder to publish the link

#19 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Good luck you evil evil man :P

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

Whats your plans for the engine if you have taken the supercharger off? Intrigued...

Was talking to someone yesterday who is both supercharging his B207 and turbo charging it with a GT35 in series... maye time for you to do some R&D ;)

Good luck.

this would involve chopping any boot , which is why not many have done it, plus ideally you would want custom inlet manifold to have a more efficient charge cooler setup. Lots of pipework, probably lots more lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users