#201 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yeah,

Lost count of how many time i've jacked it up with no problems. TBH I'm sat here still trying to work out what went wrong :(

I guess it's just a bit of bad luck that I'll live with. Unfortunately in a bit of blind panic I turned the hydraulic release on the jack one too many times and that fcuked the jack aswell.

A big shout out to JG who calmed me down/talked me through some options as 1/. The car was on the deck and 2/. I didn't have a working jack any more. Luckily I remembered I had a scissor jack hanging around, so after a few butt clenching moments all was well (well apart from being 1 jack down and this)

Posted Image

#202 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm a bit meh TBH There was a small dent/hole there anyway; I just made it a little bigger :)

#203 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Easyish fix... Put a thin piece of wood or fibreglass ally mesh through the hole, put a self tapper into it to hold it in place whilst you fill in the hole. Then once ready for final prep, remove the self tapper as the wood will be held by the resin.

#204 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ouch :grouphug:

#205 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

It could have been a lot worse, imagine if you were half way through replacing the hub and had no disc on it, the sill would be rahter more damaged that it is now. I admire your composure Jules Imnotworthy

#206 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Amazingly cool Jules. Feel your pain though. I alwayd worry using a jack so only raise the car just enough to slip the removed wheel under the cill area and slip a layer of foam inbetween. Might just hold a failed jack without damage.

#207 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

@ JG Composure? yeah right :D so much so I called you in a panic!! I always sound calm btw I'm not even convinced anything hit the deck. I 'think' it might just have rested on the ARB tie (might take a look next weekend) but given the spring rates I'm running i'm pretty sure it'll stand on three wheels. Certainly a bummer though. Wolfie: I'm not sure where i'm at ATM. Cool? maybe. I read in the other thread about cars falling off jacks if the front wheel is off/heavy load in boot.....not sure if that is a p*ss take to this thread to be honest. What I am is quite happy that the car has done 114k and is still in better condition than most that have done half that. It's been worked on/lifted more times than I can mention so I'm just treating it like an inevitable occurance in 11 years of ownership. Hey ho :)

#208 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Oh mate I'm gutted for you... I know it may not feature on top of your all time "world fell out of your arse VX moments" but still gut wrenching. :(

#209 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

What I am is quite happy that the car has done 114k and is still in better condition than most that have done half that. It's been worked on/lifted more times than I can mention so I'm just treating it like an inevitable occurance in 11 years of ownership.

Hey ho :)/>

Bummer. I admire your approach and it should fix up relatively easily for relatively low cost to be just like new.

I remember one member on here puts a box of A4 paper under the car, which is a neat idea. I think I might invest in one.

#210 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I remember one member on here puts a box of A4 paper under the car, which is a neat idea. I think I might invest in one.

What kind of an idiot would do that?

Posted Image

:blush:

#211 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Where did you get those clam protectors matt?

#212 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

moto concept.... JG has 2 sets on order... since December.....Go figure!

#213 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Where did you get those clam protectors matt?

They're currently nicely protecting two TD wheels on the back seat of the Audi. Only suitable thing I could find on Sunday night :wacko:

#214 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

expecting delivery in may :blink:

#215 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm sure all of us dread that happening to our cars, but glad you are being positive about it and it should be an easy glassfibre repair job :)

#216 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Jesus fcuking christ Just got the quote in for the bodywork (admitted there is a crack/fault in every panel) Probably 3/5ths of what the car is worth...and that's before the £1k+ on the suspension. I can't help thinking the end is nigh :(

#217 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Dude, diy the hole, put one of those stickers on that goes over the complete side, do the suspension and happy days this summer.
Ignore the other cracks.
Then next winter try again. (i have no doubt .org will get you some help or decent quotes putting it good again)

edit: something like this:

Posted Image

Edited by smiley, 10 April 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#218 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

It's slightly more complicated than that ;) First off, I simply cant afford to have all of it done at the same time. But. It makes sense to buy all of the paint for the whole car in the first hit. Having looked over the car (with eyes wide open - I'd been blinkered/in denial tbh) it's quite frankly tatty. I looks bloody brilliant, but under close scrutiny it falls well short. The front clam is utterly ruined from below (looks pretty good on the top) Both cills fcuked - one obvious, the other cracked....numerous other little cracks here and there Rear clam cracked (thanks 'doctor') the lacquer is peeling/missing in places (thanks 'doctor') and its bubbled to feck (thanks 'doctor' - it really was an A1 clam) So I am where I am. The company that gave me the quote I 100% trust in terms of integrity. The owner said to me straight off the bat they wouldn't be the cheapest but they would ensure the work was 100% spot on - I dont doubt it. So £400 for the cills, plus £215 for paint +VAT Clams (if I take them off) around £850 for back £1050 for front + VAT So, all in all, it's effectively written off by a series of multiple 'accidents' over the last 11 years of ownership - all cosmetic. TBH it's not far (but it is) more than I expected. The problem is the suspension cost, I just had to get the daily serviced and the other house bills that come around in April. The stress is causing my back major grief and I think I wont be sleeping too well tonight. One side of my brain says I wouldn't be able to live without the VX, the (more sensible) side says 'cut your losses mate = strip it down and walk away' I'm going to stop thinking about it all now.

#219 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Jules, take a few days and don't do rush any decision. Is it not worth doing the sills first and leave the clams to the future? Hope you got some sleep :grouphug:

Edited by rob999, 11 April 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#220 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Its only money mate, if the car makes you happy then get it sorted. Its only paintwork at the end of the day. Do the sill yourself get a couple rattle cans and blend it in, laquer, job done. Ive got past caring how much i spend compared to how much its worth.. Its what its worth to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users