• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi After having a turbo about 7 years ago for a short period of time, I picked up a 2.2 today. It's not perfect and relatively high mileage at 67k but seems an honest car. One issue I have found is that the heater hot/cold knob and the heater direction knob have sheared and just rotate and come off in your hand. They have a D shaped shaft which is broken off to the base, with the remainder of the shaft sitting in the control dial underneath. So.....the issue with the hot/cold dial breaking is presumably the heater box, which I will investigate tomorrow, but what would cause the issue with the direction knob (I assume that it is stuck to have caused it to shear). Also, is there a way of extracting the shaft from the dials? Or is there another approach? Are replacement knobs available anyway if the current shafts can be removed....? Appreciate any help with this. Regards Paul

#2 Silent Steve

Silent Steve

Tit

• 2,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Take a look on Ebay. Think there's a set of these knobs on there.

#3 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Take a look on Ebay. Think there's a set of these knobs on there.

Hi thanks for the sugestion, i have had a look, can't see any, but really need to know if the direction dial is stuck and how to fix that and how to remove the broken shafts. Many thanks Paul

#4 Silent Steve

Silent Steve

Tit

• 2,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Sorry mate. I only know how to buy stuff. I've never actually fitted anything. Or made anything work. I used to be known as the mechanical grim reaper. That was before the break up. My advice is to sell the damned thing, before it gets a hold on you. Ruined everything I was, it did. Damn you, Vauxhall. Why, oh why? Anyway.... This being the VX220.ORG someone useful should be along in a moment. I'm certain they'll be able to help you. Have a great Sunday.

#5 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Sorry mate. I only know how to buy stuff. I've never actually fitted anything. Or made anything work.

I used to be known as the mechanical grim reaper. That was before the break up.

My advice is to sell the damned thing, before it gets a hold on you. Ruined everything I was, it did.

Damn you, Vauxhall. Why, oh why?

Anyway.... This being the VX220.ORG someone useful should be along in a moment. I'm certain they'll be able to help you.

Have a great Sunday.

Have you tried therapy........? :)

#6 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Have you tried therapy........? :)

Yep, he tried it. His therapist is now in therapy. :(

#7 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

Mine was stuck just have a look at he cable on top of the heater box, follow it to the lever and move it back and to with some grips. Maybe grease it and if that doesn't work take the dash off which is pretty easy theres a guide

Dash Removal / Replacement

And check that when you turn the knob that the teeth locate in the gear properly making it turn. If that doesn't work its time to remove the heater box.

#8 cressey

cressey

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

If you just want heat, open the bonnet and youll see a lever under the silver ducting and near the battery. It's on the top of the heater matrix with a wire attached to it. Twist it towards the drivers side wheel for heat. Can't help with the controller though in afraid. Sounds like someone's broken it with too much force.

#9 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Agree with the above Just get it blowing warm on the screen and don't bother with the direction set up the heater for your feet is useless anyway and if you do direct the tepid air downwards the screen will immediately mist up as it needs the full slight draughts of the heater on max to do any good

#10 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input - would like to try to repair the knobs - any ideas how to get the D shaped shaft out of the control dial? Thanks Paul

#11 chazpowerslide

chazpowerslide

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Avid petrol head,Advanced driving, Building Westfields (done a few) Area organiser for the WSCC (Westfield Sports Car Club) Cambridge ara. Currently building a single seater road car.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Try drilling a small hole in what's left of the shaft and then screw in a small self tapping screw into the hole. Hold the knob tightly in a soft jaw vice (or similar) and using mole grips on the screw head pull hard and you "should" be able to extract the shaft. Ensure that the hole you drill is compatable with the size of screw you plan to use. Chaz.

#12 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Try drilling a small hole in what's left of the shaft and then screw in a small self tapping screw into the hole.
Hold the knob tightly in a soft jaw vice (or similar) and using mole grips on the screw head pull hard and you "should" be able to extract the shaft.
Ensure that the hole you drill is compatable with the size of screw you plan to use.

Chaz.

Thank you - I'll give it go........next weekend.

#13 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

A new heater control panel isn't expensive. Part number is 9197455 and costs about £34 from a dealer. This should have the shafts attached so reuse your old knobs ( :blush: ) after extracting the broken bits of shaft from them. Might be able to find you a new heater panel for about a tenner (plus postage). If you're interested drop me a pm. chinky chinky .

#14 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

A new heater control panel isn't expensive. Part number is 9197455 and costs about £34 from a dealer. This should have the shafts attached so reuse your old knobs ( :blush: ) after extracting the broken bits of shaft from them.

Might be able to find you a new heater panel for about a tenner (plus postage). If you're interested drop me a pm. chinky chinky .

Hi have pm'd may not be as straightforward. Cheers Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Heater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users