Brake Improvement Consensus

AP Bells Pads Nitron

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

There are now a rather large number of options aren't there?

I'm going to try and arrange them in a way that makes some sense and then if you've experienced some of them, it would be great to get your views.

#1 - The most basic way is to simply improve pads. We all know this and have been doing if for years. The basic premise is to use a standard disc (i count, drilled, grooved or any combinations there of as standard) with a 'performance' pad. options there are things like:
-Pagid RE14-29
-Carbone Lorraine CL5+ or CL6
-Performance Friction 97 or 01 compound
Take your pick, there are plenty of threads on here about it.

Total cost of improvement with plain discs £300

#2 Upgrade disks with bells, keep standard calipers and standard size discs (288mm), use one of the pads from #1. Bells avoid heat transfer from discs to hub and therefore heat up and cool much faster.
- Elise parts do a reasonably priced set (Full set £600, replacement disks £400)
Posted Image
http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/21/1/aluminium-belled-discs/
- There seems to be a number of 295mm options, which must include spacers for front calipers. Costs are prohibitive

Total cost of improvement with decent set of pads. £800

#3 Upgrade the front calipers, to a 4 pistons set up, which means upgrading front discs to 308mm
-AP Racing, standard fit on exige cup and available on here at the moment for ~£500, and from a variety of other places in various forms it would seam, Seriously Lotus seem to offer a Caparo branded set for example with their own bell.
Posted Image
Can use these with a plain 308mm disk.

Total cost of upgrade (including plain rear discs and new rear pads): ~£800

#4 Upgrade the front calipers in #3 including bells
Seems to be a few options for the bells:
-AP do their own
-Nitron, Seriously lotus do some
http://www.seriouslylotus.com/index.php/braking/brake-discs/alcon-308mm-disc-with-nitron-fixed-bells.html
Posted Image

Total cost (including plain rear discs and new rear pads): ~£1650

#5 Upgrade the rear to keep up with the front, so its a combination of #4 and #2. Using front caliper on the rear.

Total cost including new front pads (the hand brake can have any old rubbish) and rear bells : £2k

My thoughts are that option 4 and 5 look expensive, especially as I'm really not convinced they address all the problems, namely that the slave just isn't specified correctly for such application. Therefore on the basis that anything is a compromise anyway but that some changes to the disk, pad system would be better than option 1, the advantage of 3 is that it can be upgraded to 4 and may be more future proof.
And then my thoughts turn to the similarly priced options 2 and 3. To me the science behind 2 seems better than 3. The idea of trying to address cooling, seems more appropriate for my application than the additional power of a 4 pot.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen. :D

#2 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Cooling seems to be a big like for you, stick with the std disc and uprated pads and fit the DuccatiSenna brake cooling kit?

Details here

Edited by Bargi, 05 February 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#3 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

#1 - The most basic way is to simply improve pads. We all know this and have been doing if for years. The basic premise is to use a standard disk (i count, drilled, grooved or any combinations there of as standard) with a 'performance' pad...

Total cost of improvement with plain disks £300

Are you including fitting and fluid change in this price?

For £200 you can still get a set of OEM spec discs and Mintex 1155s from Camskills (delivered to your door).

Edited by Boombang, 05 February 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yes but mintex have been superseded by others, which cost on average £200 a set. Haven't included fluid.

#5 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

All values are approximations.

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Cooling seems to be a big like for you, stick with the std disc and uprated pads and fit the DuccatiSenna brake cooling kit?

Details here

Good point, i'd forgotten about that. thumbsup though my feeling is that the bells would help a lot more.

Joe has a set for me to copy somewhere.

#7 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Discs not disks Oh and feck me your Saturday nights are fun :lol:

#8 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Discs not disks

good point - fixed :)

Oh and feck me your Saturday nights are fun :lol:

I hate to tell you Joe, its Sunday morning. thumbsup

#9 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Jesus... You know Its bad when you wake up on the landing...

#10 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Jesus...

You know Its bad when you wake up on the landing...

Especially if you're the pilot.

#11 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Good thread. thumbsup I guess it all comes down to budget. If you had a thousand pound you'd have choice of all, if your budget is 300quid then your choice is from the pads to fit standard discs.

#12 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Good thread. thumbsup

I guess it all comes down to budget.

And what you want to achieve and why.

#13 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yes, agreed but unless you have that £1000 then your aims are pointless.

#14 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

There is another route to braking Nirvana. Bear with me a moment :D

#15 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Well a few moments :lol:

#16 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

295mm AP bells and rotors on the front of mine, with the Ducatti996 cooling kit as well. 288mm EP bells and rotors on rear. Had been RC5+'s all round, though there is a set of PF01's on the front at the moment (haven't tried them in anger yet). Can lock the front brakes even with R888's on when the ABS is disabled and guess that's a good indication that my current brake setup is man enough to stop the car. Whether there's a real tangible cooling benefit from the bell and rotor setup, I don't know. Decent weight saving though from the all important unsprung mass. Given the above, I do struggle to see what extra the 4-pots would bring given my use. Would still like them though as there's no doubt they look nicer. :lol:

#17 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thats the argument im having with my self. Is there any point me buying the 4 pots when i can easily lock my wheels on R888's with standard calipers and PF pads? I have the duccatti break cooling kit to help with the cooling so i cant justify the cost of 4 pots new discs and pads as well as new shrouds for the ducatti kit. I cant stay away from robins thread at the moment though :beat:

#18 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

I know it's meant as a race upgrade but it's worth digging a little deeper and seeing if you can fit the upgraded servo on the existing system as that will give far more feel to the standard caliper setup.

Standard calipers with decent pads have never lacked stopping power in my opinion and with Ducati Senna's cooling kit, PF Pads, vented discs, braided hoses and a new servo I'm hoping my brakes will be great this year! Just got to work out where all the pipes go :wacko:

Maybe not Nirvana but a cheaper alternative to improvement thumbsup

The ABS system utilised in the Lotus Elise platform cars is quite an aged Kelsey Hayes unit, which was first implemented by Lotus on the old Esprits. Although it has some use on road where it provides a degree of safety for the over ambitious driver in poor conditions there are some fundamental floors which can seriously hinder the ultimate braking capabilities of these cars on track. The brake servo that is combined with the ABS unit causes a long pedal and a reduction in pedal feel and many people find its inclusion on these cars an undesirable feature. At Hofmann's we have developed a kit of parts which allows removal of the ABS system and the brake servo allowing for much better track performance and also a much improved brake feel through the pedal. This is a simple bolt on kit and comprises an adaptor plate to mount the brake master cylinder, a new master cylinder plunger of the correct length and a pair of braided steel lines with T-pieces and swaged ends to plump the brake lines after the ABS unit has been removed.

Please be aware, this product is intended for race use only.
Price: £449.99+VAT

#19 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

removing the ABS will be an instant MOT failure from April 2012 thumbsdown

#20 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ill look forward to your review on it. Whens your first trackday this year Jimmy, anything booked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users