• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Has any got one of these that they use with their battery conditioner?

Posted Image
I want to mount one somewhere and was wondering what others have done? The obvious would be in the plastic panel above the battery under the bonnet. However for convenience I want it to be accessable from the outside of the car when everything is locked up, as in the worse case you would be stuck otherwise if you could not get to it. It fits perfect inside one of my stienmetz grille slots I would just need to cut a little mesh away and it would mount in a treat and be barely visable once pushed right inside. What do you think to that solution? Should be easy enough to route the wire up to the terminals from there shouldn't it? Any other bright ideas as to where it could go?

Posted Image
Yes I know my number plate has been in the wars :-(
Posted Image

The only other place I have really though of is here between the number plate lights but I was not sure whether the main battery would take a charge via the RCL back up battery? Or maybe I could have a second one there purely for the locking battery?

Posted Image

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't have the panel but want one, so interested in the mounting point.

#3 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

i'd put in a wheel arch liner

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I've got an Andersen connector hard wired to the battery and the other end is in/behind the wheel arch liner, like a TVR. But, I only ever use the CTEK via the cigarette lighter as there's a very real possibility, if it's not in the car, I'll not see it and drive off one day. :rolleyes:

Edited by techieboy, 13 February 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#5 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

I found the cigarette lighter adaptor to be next to useless. I've got a CTEK connector hardwired to the battery and whenever I use it I have a large piece of white polystyrene and a sign that says DO NOT DRIVE which I stick under the windscreen to stop me driving off! It's worked so far! :P

#6 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I found the cigarette lighter adaptor to be next to useless.

:yeahthat:
I've got the adapter but rarely use it because it has to pass through the fuse box that way.

I fitted the panel today as mentioned above in the grille. It's barely visable unless you really look for it yet you can still see at a glance the charge status LED. It won't be quite so stealthy if I ever go back to having a front V but I am not too bothered by that. I used an existing round hole in the radiator surround that was perfectly situated right behind where i mounted it. Then with the wheel arch liner off drilled and grommeted another hole fed the wire through and led it up to the battery terminals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Cracking idea, looks very good. I've got the ciggie lighter adaptor, seems to the best option personally, extension cable sits on the drivers seat and the cable fits very nicely through the window were the roof meets glass at the top. Cover on and no one can see it unless they follow the cable from the garage door :)

#8 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Guess this external plug could be handy for owners with central locking when their battery goes flat and the backup battery is also knackered. What type of connector is it?

#9 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Tamiya 7.2V battery.

#10 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Guess this external plug could be handy for owners with central locking when their battery goes flat and the backup battery is also knackered.
What type of connector is it?

That was my thinking too. I want to investigate the situation with my boot battery as I can't see it being much good after 7+ years but access is blimin hard with the spoiler fitted.

What type of connector is it?

I don't think it's generic more their own proprietary type. The male end on the charger clips into the various adapters you can get, crocodile clips, fag lighter, this panel etc. Looks like this -

Posted Image

Tamiya 7.2V battery.

Eh? :huh:

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 23 February 2012 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users