Photo

215/45/17 - 245/40/17 - Yes, Which Tyres...

ATS DTC tyres

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

There are loads of tyre threads, but they seem to be jumbled up by the size you have. I'm talking specifically about these tyre sizes. I've just ordered a set of ATS DTC's that I will fit when the winter tyre season has finished in a few weeks. I don't track the car, and I commute in it, so I need tyres that aren't seriously expensive and give reasonable mileage, e.g. not semi race rubber. Also, as noted, I have winter tyres for the winter, so I'm quite happy to get tyres that aren't suitable all year round. The default seems to be Kumho KU31's or Toyo Proxies, which on tyre life would seem less suitable for me. KU36's might be an option but I worry about having to replace them after only a few miles. Other options, Nanking NS-2's which seem to have some of the disadvantages of a budget tyre - and I'm not looking for a budget tyre. Then there are the big brands...Dunlop Sport Maxx, etc. Advice needed from those in the know!

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

something like the Yokohama S drive , assuming you swap over to snow tyres, then these should do for 2 years all season usage. you can actually get them in a original front vx wheel fitment, albeit wider

#3 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

something like the Yokohama S drive

Sadly, not available in 245/40/17.

#4 Dashwood

Dashwood

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Federal 595 evo or 595 R-SR admittedly only in 235/40 or 255/40 on the rear. Evo are like Toyo R1R....ish. RSR are like R888....ish

http://www.federalti.../spec595EVO.pdf
http://www.federalti...d/spec595RS.pdf

Pretty blooming cheap as well but you will have to get them on the continent as they are difficult to source in the UK.

BTW I run 595 evos and have done 5000 miles on them with reasonable wear (down to 4.5-5mm on the rears) and they are very good/progressive in the dry and surprisingly good in the wet (i.e. they stick when I think I should be in a hedge)

Edited by avhbi, 17 February 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#5 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes, but as you say, can't get the evo in 245 - also seems a similar price to the Kumho. The non-evo 595 gets terrible reviews.

#6 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

When I went to the 215/245 tyres I found that the R888's lasted longer than the standard bridgestones, aprox 13k on the rears and fronts still going at 16k. Granted I didn't get as much track time as I hoped last year but was similar to previous years on standard tyres. I put it down to the grip being so good that I get no wheelspin in the dry, while at the ring in 2010 I tried them in the wet and was able to put full power down in 1st and second in a straight line, that was a wet road with no standing water and was quite warm too.

#7 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

That's a good review, and I'd consider them for summer use if that's the mileage you get, but they're very expensive here in Switzerland!

#8 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

They are here too I was just pointing out that softer track based tyres can last quite a while in these sizes, the down side is they are also harder to warm up properly on a track compared to the smaller more usual sizes. Oh and that was running -1.4 deg and -2.5 deg camber.

Edited by Crabash, 18 February 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#9 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Anyone tried Hankook Ventus V12 Evo?

#10 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

And why not AD08 ?

#11 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I raced a set of Pirelli P Zero's all season, did countless track days and a fair few road miles and there is still TONS of rubber left on them! They are great in the wet and the dry. Well worth a punt!

#12 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

And why not AD08 ?

Just don't seem available in Switzerland in 215/245. Don't know if it's a tyre size thing or if they're just not homogolated.

#13 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I would try the KU36 . Seems to be a good option for the price. There is a test review of it on TireRack

#14 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ok, so I'm narrowing down the options. KU31's are cheap, but getting on a bit. KU39's are also cheap, get great reviews and don't seem to wear out in 20 miles. KU36's get great reviews but are significantly more expensive. At that price I'd consider the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo, that gets really great reviews. Looking like the KU39's at the moment.

#15 Dave W

Dave W

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Anyone had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's? Would like to try a pair but not seen them mentioned on any of the numerous tyre threads I've read on here...

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

This thread makes no sense. Why are you increasing the width of your tyres? grip? looks? If its the former then its a very strange way to go about it. increase the size of the tyres to then decrease the quality of the rubber*. If its a commuter do you really want to be saddled with all the disadvantages wider tyres will bring. Tramlining, increases tyre roar, likely decrease in wet weather performance. If its the later then i suppose it doesn't really matter. *A bit like spending lots on brake upgrade and then using shit pads. :P ;)

#17 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Ok, but it's not quite like that is it? I would like more grip yes, particularly at the front. The car is better balanced on my winter tyres which are 185's front and 205's rear, so 215/245 would seem to me to be more grip and better balance. Yes, they will tramline worse, be more noisy, etc. but the VX is not a comfy car and I have another car for those kind of journey's. Next, I'm not skimping on tyres, there are far cheaper tyres than Kumho KU39's. I'm seeking a reasonable compromise given my driving habits. Do you think 215/245 KU39's will have less grip than the standard Bridgestones? I would be surprised if that was the case, and yes it would make the whole exersise pointless.

#18 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

By the way, this is the road I commute on, so you'll understand why tyre noise isn't a priority.

Posted Image

It's the Albis Pass in Canton Zurich.

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

*A bit like spending lots on brake upgrade and then using sh*t Ferodo pads. :P ;)

#20 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

By the way, this is the road I commute on

888s then! thumbsup :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATS DTC, tyres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users