Photo

Replacement Lockin Wheel Nuts (Not Lost!)

wheels

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kmidderigh

kmidderigh

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

this isnt a post about a lost locking wheel nut but in a similar vane.... Had my rear tyres changed a while ago and the placed that changed them warned me that my locking wheel nut (key) was on its last legs and needed replacing - and it does lock a bit bashed about. Having looked around for a replacement key bit it seems it might be simpler to just replace the whole set as i still have the key. ebay is swamped with replacement sets for vx220 - so after some advice - what should i be looking for ? - they range from £6 to £25 - is it a case of you get what you pay for or is the spec important ? heres a sample of 3 descriptions : M12 x 1.5 x 23 Total Length 46mm Hex 17 Thread size: M12 x 1.5 Thread length: 26mm Overall bolt width: 24mm Overall bolt length: 51mm (inc the head) Seat type: 60° Tapered (cone shaped) Bolt material: Heat treated carbon alloy steel Bolt finish: Bright zinc plated Key adaptor width: 26mm Key adaptor spanner size: Dual 17/19mm Hex PL17-12 MM DIA X 1.5 THREAD THREAD LENGTH 22 MM anyone know the true dimensions of the original locking wheel nut ? - is a few mm in thread length critical ? (and yes i do still want to bother with locking wheel nuts thumbsup ) Ta, Kev.

#2 out on the bike

out on the bike

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:fast bikes and fast cars

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

The ones I bought for mine are thread m12x1.50 seat 60 degree thread length 26.4mm not sure on the over all length.

#3 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Do not bother,just put a standard stud back in as they are a waste of time and more trouble that they are worth. When I took mine off after I lost the key it was so easy with a socket anyone who wants your wheels can get them off no prob,s any way.

#4 Adam_B

Adam_B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Agree with ghand, but if your sure you want a set, I found McGuard are usually a quality product. Cheaper ones will fall to bits and break quickly

http://www.mcgard.com/

They should come with a key code as well so if you loose or damage your key getting another isn't a massive problem.

Edited by Adam_B, 26 February 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#5 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Vauxhall lost the key for mine, so they got me a new set. Changed them about 1 week later for std bolts in black. So much less hassle. I'm sure I still have them somewhere.

#6 snotvomit

snotvomit

• PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, sports cars

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

The tool for the locking wheelnuts came apart on me (these were the onese that came when I bought the car). The insert fell out of the locking tool and I had to hammer it back in. It just about worked to get the bolts off one last time. I replaced them with McGard locking nuts - I think the originals were McGard too. The insert in the tool shattered in November. I thought I was screwed, but fortunately I hadn't thrown the packaging away and was able to send off for a new tool from McGard (about £25 if I remember right). I will NEVER EVER use locking nuts again.

#7 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Standard studs here too. Got the old locking nuts and key somewhere, if I can find them yo can have them (that is a big if though :lol:)

#8 kmidderigh

kmidderigh

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

ok - think i'm getting the message here...just say no to locking wheel nuts.. :rolleyes: ....but what am I going to stick in the little hole under the bonnet.... :wacko:

#9 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

ok - think i'm getting the message here...just say no to locking wheel nuts.. :rolleyes:

....but what am I going to stick in the little hole under the bonnet.... :wacko:

Nothing, free weight saving thumbsup

#10 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

....but what am I going to stick in the little hole under the bonnet.... :wacko:

:lol: fyi McGuard made the originals so getting some ffrom them should mean similar quality.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users