• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

As I have mentioned recently, I plan to get a trailer for my VX that will fit in my garage. The garage isn't tiny by UK standards, but it is only 4.5m long and the door is 2.1m wide. I thought that I could use a BJ Clubman, but it turns out that the VX is too wide for it (rear track of 1.588 plus 225 tyre width = 1.713). BJ does a TT model where the VX would only slightly overhang (3.8m for VX, 3.6m for trailer bed). If you pay extra for the folding tongue option the total length is only 4.1m, which is quite handy. The problem is that this costs £3,700 in total! Any other suggestions?

#2 Denthrax

Denthrax

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think only the Minno-Max will fit a normal garage an can hold a VX. The biggest Minno seems to have a 4mx1.71m loading bed.

Edited by Denthrax, 27 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#3 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've got a minno-max with folding arm. With it folder up you lose any overhang, which means I can't fold up and get my car on it. That said it is a very small trailer.

#4 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

I think only the Minno-Max will fit a normal garage an can hold a VX. The biggest Minno seems to have a 4mx1.71m loading bed.

It can hold a VX? I ask because of the width. The Minno is too long for my garage. Cheers.

#5 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I've got a minno-max with folding arm. With it folder up you lose any overhang, which means I can't fold up and get my car on it.

That said it is a very small trailer.

Ooh! What if the car is on it first, then you fold it up? Or does it not work like that?

#6 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

I mean I need the overhang to get the car on. With arm up, it butts against front of the trailer deck so can't get car on enough, but it is one of the smallest they make. It is a Saxo and not a VX, with a couple of blocks to raise the car up I can use the overhang. You also can't put a car on and then fold up, as the jockey wheel is attached to the arm. You'd have to support the bed from underneath to stop it falling when you drove on, or have some more stands welded on. I can't recommend the trailer enough though, assuming you can get one with a large enough bed. Mine is very lightweight single axle but tows like a dream, far better than my old twin axle one. Ideally I'd have twin axle, but it came with the car in a package and my lack of B+E restricts me to 3.5t MAM.

#7 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

The most important aspect of towing is to get the weight distribution over the trailer axle correct. Too much weight in the overhang produces only light loads on the two car, and much reduced towing speeds, plus increased chances of dishing. Better to go with a bigger trailer and keep it outside if possible.

#8 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

That brings up an important point. If the car overhangs then it might not fit in the garage. I back the VX on to keep weight on the tongue, but that means the nose will overhang the back of the trailer by up to 200mm. I think the single axle one is called the Micro-Max. I didn't think that the VX fit on that one? I rent in an apartment complex. Can't keep trailers outside, and it would be nicked in 5 minutes anyway.

#9 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

If the VX is road legal have you thought about a dolly? It's the tow thing recovery vans use lIke the aa and rac

#10 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

If the VX is road legal have you thought about a dolly? It's the tow thing recovery vans use lIke the aa and rac

Errr, that would be a big no! If it was then I would just drive it to the track. £2,000 to insure for a year, so I was hoping to get a trailer for about the same amount.

#11 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well,it doesn't look like there are any suitable trailers. Best plan is to rent one when I need it I guess.

#12 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Shame we will prob be going to the same track days a lot of the time, as you know looking for a smaller trailor for the track beast but would not be big enough to hold a vx and find the bigger twin axle a bit much for a light small track car. At least if I get a smaller one we can use the twin axle BJ jobbie, thats if Daves VX not using it for the track vx mind DG

#13 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Only legal for recovery, not for long haul use.

#14 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have a Clubman and the VX fits on it fine.

#15 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have a Clubman and the VX fits on it fine.

Do you know which version it is? Cheers!

#16 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

100-0440

#17 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Not sure how much a 2.35m wide trailer helps someone trying to get it into a 2.1m wide garage door though?

Technical Specifications
  • Gross capacity 2600Kg
  • Load capacity 2100Kg
  • Load bed length 13ft (4.0m)
  • Load bed width 6ft 3ins (1.9m)
  • Twin axle
  • Overall load bed width 7ft 8ins (2.35m)

#18 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yes, that is 5.4m long and 2.35m wide, so a metre too long and 1/4m too wide. And yes, according to my measurements above the VX should fit easily on that trailer.

#19 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

OK, so fitting in a garage is now a secondary issue to finding something that will comply with a B license. All trailers that the VX fits on are rated for too much gross weight. Ideally I need a trailer that the VX fits on, is only rated for 1400Kg gross weight, and has at least an 800Kg load capacity.

#20 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

As per post in other thread: Buy a trailer it will fit and have it downplated. Brian James will happily do it, although cannot then plate it back to a higher limit in the future. So you get a nice twin axle that weighs 450kg, plate it down to 1450kg - 1000kg for the load. Then tow with say a medium/large estate that is over 1450kg unladen and gross of 2050kg or under (B6 A4 Avant 1.9 tdi for example is bang on 1450kg unladen and 2000kg gross).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users