Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Girls
    Food

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi all I'm setting about cutting the holes in my seats for some schroth harnesses tomorrow and while it looks fairly straight forward, I thought is see if there were any handy hints or tips from those who h e done it themselves?? Cheers :)

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

http://www.sector111...nstructions.pdf

#3 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for that. I've printed these out a year or so ago but never got around to doing it (perhaps I was to scared:D) Really looking to hear from those who have done it and could advise me of things NOT to do etc :D

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Search for posts by Jase_MK and Retset who both DIY'd it and posted about their experiences.

#5 chrisgold

chrisgold

pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

http://www.sector111...nstructions.pdf

thumbsup

#6 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Wear a facemask, long sleeves and gloves. Cut small amounts of leather a bit at a time. Also pull out about 1cm more sponge than the size of the hole. Pulling the 2 halves of the grommets apart is near immposible once in place so be careful with the test fits.

Edited by Ouchie, 05 April 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#7 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

The only tips I have from when I did this are..... If you don't want the holes too vertical you have to trim the edges of the plastic gromit so it doesn't hit the strengthening section running up the middle of the seat at the back

If you don't trim the edges you have to have the cut out slightly more vertical as they wouldn't press together!!

Oh and don't do them too close together

I am about 5ft 8 ish and the holes as you see them below are perfect. If you are 6ft 4 like a friend of mine you need the holes further up!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Firthy, 05 April 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#8 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

One other Dremel tip while I think of it. Use the cutting disc to cut a rough outline, But use the cylindrical sander (sanding paper cylinder thingy which slides over the rubber base them is tightened by a screw), this is perfect for doing the accurate work and burns through the seat in no time... My advice is move to this ASAP don't use the disc too much.

#9 Mitch_VX

Mitch_VX

• Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Parkour, Food, Music

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Wear a facemask, long sleeves and gloves.

Cut small amounts of leather a bit at a time. Also pull out about 1cm more sponge than the size of the hole.

Pulling the 2 halves of the grommets apart is near immposible once in place so be careful with the test fits.

:yeahthat: I spent a few days washing the fibreglass out my skin and it was very itchy :angry:

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

I used a small angle grinder to cut out the rough shape and then used a dremmel for the fine tuning. Good luck Alex, how are you these days? You have gone a bit quiet (under the thumb??!!) since coming back to the UK.

#11 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thanks all, brilliant info just what I wanted :) :D no not under the thumb nev, I just don't seem to have any time for anything since I moved back to the uk :( I have an hour commute each way to work now on top of an 11 hour day - by the time I get home I'm fooked! Gutted I had to pass on my charge cooler to save money for a house but will hopefully keep Vespa :) looks like your project is coming along nicely, nipper is looking MEAN! When will he be coming home? I'll pop up and see you...

#12 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

I used a Henry hoover nozzle held close to the cutting disc, this cuts out virtually all dust.

#13 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Holes cut and am trying to squeeze the bloody grommets in and it's a nightmare! One side will be easier as the bigger diameter pushes through from the leather side, but the one I'm stuck on the leather keeps bunching up in the joint when trying to snap them together. My fingers are killing me the same as helping nev with the fuel pipe hose :D

#14 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

When done, if you get crease between them, steam them (or get them lightly wet) and leave to dry in the sun or maybe gently with a hairdryer, this can tighten up te leather and get rid of them. Martin s

#15 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Good tip one of mine did have a slight ripple so may give that a go :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users