Photo

Lotus 4 Channel Abs - Group Buy

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#1 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Clearly not uklotuscenter :P Is it as basic as ordering from a lotus dealer?

#2 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

yep any lotus shop then you need to get it flashed by a lotus dealer when on car (so its been said)

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1069

#4 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've been looking for a decently priced second hand one for a while now. Rang round loads of places. I asked about the above linked one, if he'd split & take an offer on just the ecu part when it was up well over a month ago at a higher price. He said no... It's still for sale! I've since had a cut off switch fitted instead & so far pretty impressed with the improvement. Cheers.

#5 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

On 16/17's with 205 front R1R's and nitrons the ice mode was a nightmare, 'plug & play' the 4 channel unit and its never in nearly 1000 miles and a walshy day happened since. The best mod to the car imho thumbsup

Edited by MrSimba, 01 May 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#6 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I've been looking for a decently priced second hand one for a while now. Rang round loads of places.

I asked about the above linked one, if he'd split & take an offer on just the ecu part when it was up well over a month ago at a higher price. He said no... It's still for sale!

I've since had a cut off switch fitted instead & so far pretty impressed with the improvement.

Cheers.

Does the ABS light come on with the cut off switch? I've been planning to take out the fuse if it gets too much of a problem but this obviously puts the light on.

Cheers,

Phil

#7 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Planes, Cars & Bikes.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

can someone tell me what the implications of running 16/17 wheel setup are without changing the abs ecu? i.e., when does it affect things and how exactly?

#8 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've been looking for a decently priced second hand one for a while now. Rang round loads of places.

I asked about the above linked one, if he'd split & take an offer on just the ecu part when it was up well over a month ago at a higher price. He said no... It's still for sale!

I've since had a cut off switch fitted instead & so far pretty impressed with the improvement.

Cheers.

Does the ABS light come on with the cut off switch? I've been planning to take out the fuse if it gets too much of a problem but this obviously puts the light on.

Cheers,

Phil

Yes light is on

#9 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Cheers.

Cheers,

Phil

It does put the dash light on yes & I thought it might do my head in but it's not that noticeable after a few minutes. I have found some instructions for putting another switch in the instrument cluster wiring to switch the dash light off but guess that will involve removing the whole dash top so if that's the case I'll live with it for now.

Also think you'd want to disconnect the n/s wheel sensor if you want to try it before fitting a switch as I believe pulling the fuse will disable the speedo as well.

Cheers.

#10 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Ah, didn't know it disabled the speedo - I only did a trial run in the garage! I've got 16/17s coming so I'm afraid the ABS will get even worse! Phil

#11 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Is it only me that sees the irony of a 4-channel abs unit being advertised with a front end smashed Elise? :wacko:

#12 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Is it only me that sees the irony of a 4-channel abs unit being advertised with a front end smashed Elise? :wacko:

lol

#13 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

can someone tell me what the implications of running 16/17 wheel setup are without changing the abs ecu? i.e., when does it affect things and how exactly?

I allready had the 16 wheels when i got my car, but ice mode was active on spirited braking on my car.
To a point it was totally spoiling my trackdays, and i had zero faith in the brakes.
The cut off switch was a godsent. Now also running the 4 channel but have not tested that.

Icemode is when you brake and nothing happens.

Edited by smiley, 01 May 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#14 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I allready had the 16 wheels when i got my car, but ice mode was active on spirited braking on my car.
To a point it was totally spoiling my trackdays, and i had zero faith in the brakes.
The cut off switch was a godsent. Now also running the 4 channel but have not tested that.

Icemode is when you brake and nothing happens.

OK, thanks. so with the cutout, you just don't have abs??
Is there a tutorial to fitting the cutout on here anywhere?

#15 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

And, does this phenomenon only happen under heavy braking, or is it a constant issue? cheers

#16 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

OK, thanks. so with the cutout, you just don't have abs??
Is there a tutorial to fitting the cutout on here anywhere?

Yes, when the signal on any of the wheels is disturbed, the system disables itself.
You can just unplug the abs sensor plug on either wheel, (other then left rear as that one is used by the speedo) as a test first.
Just ductape it to something, so the wheel does not schred it to pieces.
That way you can easily test if an abs disablement is the thing for you.
Once convinced, you can add a 2 pound switch (or buy a 600 pound 4 channel abs ecu):
http://www.vx220.org...146-abs-switch/

Edited by smiley, 01 May 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#17 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

And, does this phenomenon only happen under heavy braking, or is it a constant issue?

Heavy breaking,
If you just use the car to drive to tesco and back, you may not notice.

#18 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thank you smiley, that's a great help. Jon

#19 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

After all the reading up and the post I added for a statement given by Lotus re the "ice mode" , I thought I would give it a go while on track (heavy rain at the time), having the hard pedal, is to just forget about it and press it harder... which braking from 100Mph on the end of the straight still worked for me even tho it did feel a little worrying at first..... I've also fitted a cut off connector but only used disabled ABS while on normal road use. (will wait for a dry track day for that one) I think its mostly due to the change in front wheel size to the 16" as the current 2 channel is setup for 17" , so when under heavy braking the sensors detect the wheel radius speed difference... Its even made me think about fitting 17" Tds up front , I know Mike is running this... Has anyone asked lotus if its possible to re calibration for the current ABS unit ?

#20 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

Yeah I agree possibly a bit worse with 16" fronts although I first had it with 17 oe fronts. Don't know of it's possible to recode a 2 channel into a 4 channel & doubt Lotus would be interested. Maybe somebody though? You can also fit the abs switch to nsr as well & use existing hole as in this guide which I think is a bit neater & less wires to unwrap http://vx220.ukct.net/abscutoff.htm Hope that helps. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users