Photo

Guide Avaliable For Switching Ecu's Including Immo?

throttle imphome immo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Supersonett

Supersonett

• Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Petrol head

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi, have just gone thru the throttle limp-home adventure thumbsdown in my case it was a leaking driver side ecu connector((right side). It was and have been full of water with 2 pins completly corroded (the throttle ones). Two more were ripped off when disconnecting (stuck and corroded to the female pins. So my ecu is trash ,luckily i have a friend with a spare vx220 2.2NA engine and getting a new ecu is already solved. I have a Tech II available and an op-com in the mail The car actually started for 2 sec with new ecu before i got he immo code and i guess fuel was cut. So the big thing i need this forum to help me with: What is the correct procedure for installing a new ECU from another Vx220 engine and replacing my broken and not in any way electricly / tech III disconnected old one. Have i missed any guide ? I can't be the first one doing this..or ? Have read TIS , did not help much , did find a youtube clip of something similar some guidance please //Tobias Sweden

#2 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Tobias, I bought a brand new ECU as part of my SC build in the winter. I had to get the 4 digit security code from Vauxhall (it would have been supplied with the car but wasn't with the paperwork when I got it) so when I went to Courtenay to get it mapped, they could code up the new ECU. So you will need to find someone with the kit to access the ECU, trailer your car with the replacement ECU and the security code to the tuner, get them to flash the ECU with the code, drive it home. No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say I got that all wrong :D

#3 Supersonett

Supersonett

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Tobias,

I bought a brand new ECU as part of my SC build in the winter. I had to get the 4 digit security code from Vauxhall (it would have been supplied with the car but wasn't with the paperwork when I got it) so when I went to Courtenay to get it mapped, they could code up the new ECU. So you will need to find someone with the kit to access the ECU, trailer your car with the replacement ECU and the security code to the tuner, get them to flash the ECU with the code, drive it home.

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say I got that all wrong :D

Hi rally, if i got you correct you had a new ecu and i belive that one is reset and can be used right away if you have the tools to marry them, from what i have been reading since i posted this here http://www.vezerdiag...liser_guide.pdf I belive my issue is that my friends ECU is not reseted or divorced from the old car:
Since he runs a saab turbo motor immo is not an issue for him rallly

But i'll sleep on this now , bye

#4 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Tobias,

I bought a brand new ECU as part of my SC build in the winter. I had to get the 4 digit security code from Vauxhall (it would have been supplied with the car but wasn't with the paperwork when I got it) so when I went to Courtenay to get it mapped, they could code up the new ECU. So you will need to find someone with the kit to access the ECU, trailer your car with the replacement ECU and the security code to the tuner, get them to flash the ECU with the code, drive it home.

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say I got that all wrong :D

You got that all wrong! :P

You can drive it fine as long as you replace the ring around the ignition barrel and the ECU at the same time. (as long as you have the key chip)
You need to make sure that the old chip is not nearby as well because otherwise the immobiliser will get confused and stop the engine from starting.

I spent ages trying to figure out that last bit.

#5 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

2 options; Replace the ecu complete with the matching key chip and the immobbiliser module. or Use a "disconnected" ecu (set "free" from the immo system. You need OpCom and the 4 digit car security code and think you can only do this procedure while it's still connected to the original car systems. A free ecu can then be paired with your immo & key chip by the OpCom, but again needs your own security car code for pairing.

#6 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

If I remember correctly vauxhall will supply the 4 digit code for about £40 think Courtenays said it can be done, it saves loads of hassle removing the old key ring

#7 G-Bob

G-Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

The old key ring is a Piece of p*ss to remove. Drilling the security bar is more hassle. The new codes from Vauxhall are about £35. I just got one last month,

#8 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Ok loads of hassle in the sense of having to take anything apart, me being lazy :P

#9 G-Bob

G-Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

It's one of the only jobs that's went smoothly for me on a VX so I'm not going to complain. :lol:

#10 Supersonett

Supersonett

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Use a "disconnected" ecu (set "free" from the immo system. You need OpCom and the 4 digit car security code and think you can only do this procedure while it's still connected to the original car systems.
A free ecu can then be paired with your immo & key chip by the OpCom, but again needs your own security car code for pairing.

I think this is spot on ! i got the code , i got both OpCom & techII if needed, unfortunally i also got a ecu that is NOT free :-( , but i hope to fix that this weekend.
I think we can still connect the old engine to the car (sitting on a pallet with clam off )
Thanks for the help so far will update when i got some news

#11 Supersonett

Supersonett

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Victory at last !
about one hour ago i managed to win over the immo :tt: and replace my broken ecu with my friends spare vx220 ecu .

But let's start from the beginning:

-First the mechanical problem to my throttle limp home and fault codes that followed ( don't remember them now) was water in the ecu/connector, this gave corroded broken pins and i guess before that it also explained the once every 3 week MIL lamp with simple restart of engine.

-The root to my installation problem was that the new ecu was not correctly reset or divorced from the old car. ( we didn't know we had to)

At first i though i needed to setup my friends old engine up in his car , but with my new ebay gadget op-com
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_5053wt_1396
"Everest Direct"
i finally managed to reset the new ECU already installed in MY. car using the old sec key from my friends car.
## Important here is to reset it from the engine meny in op-com not from the similar meny in the immo meny because when trying to reset it from the immo meny MY sec key was used by default (or at least i think so because i went into lockout mode and had to wait 1 hour)###

With a fresh start ( one hour later) going directly into the ecm meny everything worked fine and the ecu went "blank" or was ready to be installed with a new immo.

After solving the problem with the ecu reset i pretty much just followed the instructions from op-com regarding installing a new ecu.
http://www.vezerdiag...liser_guide.pdf

Howto Summary:
Tools used: Op-com from ebay and instructions above , a tech II will do the same work as op-com but you will not have a nice pdf to read and it is much harder to find cheap on ebay)
Your own sequrity code = four digits
The code from the donator car = four digits OR the ECU must already be reset/divorced

Thanks for the help !

Edited by Supersonett, 10 June 2012 - 09:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users