95 replies to this topic

#1 Ricardo

Ricardo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:VX'S & TVRS

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Gents, I am totally fed up with my iphone 4 and consequently I am looking for this forums well informed opinions on the above phones. Has anyone used either or compared before? They seem to do much the same, but maybe the size of S3 could be an issue? I am erring towards the HTC, but, thanks in advance.

#2 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

What's wrong with the iphone4 and what do you expect these alternatives to do better?

#3 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

I use a HTC for work, i think were on our 6th one (different phones) and everyone has been crap. They are horrible to use, clunky and just miserable to use. For example: zooming in, you cant just pinch the screen n open your fingers, your more likely to click and open a link or something up instead. Clicking links, unless your zoomed in quite far you cant click on links well you can but they wont open. If it was me id get the s3.

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'm in a similar boat, aside from I'm coming from the dying brand of Blackberry and don't want 2-3year old tech from an iPhone :lol: I was kinda erring towards the S3 for no other reason than it can take an SD card so can get a cheaper handset with less memory.

#5 Ricardo

Ricardo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:VX'S & TVRS

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

"What's wrong with the iphone4 and what do you expect these alternatives to do better?" Whats good about them? I am fed up with it randomly phoning contacts whenever a call is finished without any prompting! Also totally annoyed with the slide to answer a call feature - it doesn't. Update now looking at Samsung and taking a look at Nokia 800. Thanks for the comments Scary

#6 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

waite till apple bring the new iphone 5 out thats what im doing then decide whats best. samsung s3 does look good though that would be my choice at moment

#7 Dunc6

Dunc6

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Cant comment on the HTC but I have had the S3 for just over a week now, it is great. I upgraded from the original Galaxy S and although the phone is bigger, it easy to get used to.

#8 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sony Xperia S is worth look too.

#9 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

waite till apple bring the new iphone 5 out thats what im doing then decide whats best. samsung s3 does look good though that would be my choice at moment

But then you might aswell wait for the s4 or two x etc :lol:

#10 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

apple isnt far off though acording to press etc so maybe worth but samsung does look good apart from being bigger..

#11 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

apple isnt far off though acording to press etc so maybe worth but samsung does look good apart from being bigger..

October is the best guess I was told last week :(

The samsung is 'big' but not too big for me to discount...

The biggie for me is I can get the S3 for free on a £31/month contract and the i5 will be a minimum of £200 on a similar one....24 months warranty against Apples 12..

Decisions decisions.....meanwhile the 'button' on by 4 is working less and less and less :(

#12 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

I use a HTC for work, i think were on our 6th one (different phones) and everyone has been crap.

They are horrible to use, clunky and just miserable to use.

For example: zooming in, you cant just pinch the screen n open your fingers, your more likely to click and open a link or something up instead.

Clicking links, unless your zoomed in quite far you cant click on links well you can but they wont open.

If it was me id get the s3.

What HTCs are you using!? I've got nothing but praise for mine. Only phone in the last 6 phones that I've had that hasn't broken or gone faulty within a year, and it gets probably 3x as much use as any of my old phones. I've got a desire HD which at the time of release was the best HTC, however I've used a Sensation XL and that is very similar but quicker (dual core). The One X being 4x core should be quicker still.

I can understand your frustration if you are using sh*t HTCs like the Wildfire or something, my Dad has that and it practically crashes when someone calls because it's so slow. My dad has literally missed calls because it becomes so unresponsive he can't answer.

#13 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have an S3 and it has been a 'proper grower' so much so I am going to keep it. The only thing I haven't been convinced on is the battery life, but I am not comparing like-for-like, as I have been abusing the S3 enormously.

#14 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Might have to flip a coin to decide :lol:

#15 Dashwood

Dashwood

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I was kinda erring towards the S3 for no other reason than it can take an SD card so can get a cheaper handset with less memory.

Same here plus I think you can have more than one battery. I also believe Samsung has sorted the screen out so everything isn't blue anymore. Shame the Samsung ui is particularly pants. Well at least it is on the S2.

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

One thing bugging me about both is the hideous time display on the main screen. Can it be turned off or changed to something that isn't a flip clock on either without a new rom?

#17 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yes. Hold it and it should turn transparent, then drag it to the bin at the bottom. Then go to your 'widgets' and there should be something else you can use.

#18 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes. Hold it and it should turn transparent, then drag it to the bin at the bottom. Then go to your 'widgets' and there should be something else you can use.

Correct... There are a significant number of clock widgets available.

Also the battery can be swapped, but I would say that my S3 has a more blue tinge to the screen than an iPhone, particularly when not looking at utterly straight on.

#19 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have the one x, with a custom rom. It isn't as pickup and go as the iphone but I do like it and the size is perfect and now see the iphone as painfully small. HTC one x has a better processor, but no expandable memory may be a problem if you like to carry large volumes of data with you. -if you want help with custom roms one the one x let me know through pm.

#20 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've got a one x and I love it. Not much between the x and the s3 tbh. Which one do you prefer the look / feel of

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users