Anyone done this?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

My rear light fell off on track last week. It appears that there were only 2 fuctioning mounts. Two were already broken with no bolts holding them in and the remaing two must have snapped on track. Looking at the other 'good' side, its the same there with only two out of the mounts working. Has anyone managed to fix this type of issue without resorting to buying new lamp clusters. Would a bodge job with a good glue sort it?

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

I araldaited 2 of mine.

#3 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

My rear light fell off on track last week. It appears that there were only 2 fuctioning mounts. Two were already broken with no bolts holding them in and the remaing two must have snapped on track. Looking at the other 'good' side, its the same there with only two out of the mounts working.

Has anyone managed to fix this type of issue without resorting to buying new lamp clusters. Would a bodge job with a good glue sort it?

Which side? If its any good to you I have a passenger side rear light without the lens, its all there in good condition, was going to chuck it out, yours for the postage if you want it.

#4 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Araldite is the thing for the job!

#5 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

If you can get it Wurth Replast is the best stuff to use

#6 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

My rear light fell off on track last week. It appears that there were only 2 fuctioning mounts. Two were already broken with no bolts holding them in and the remaing two must have snapped on track. Looking at the other 'good' side, its the same there with only two out of the mounts working.

Has anyone managed to fix this type of issue without resorting to buying new lamp clusters. Would a bodge job with a good glue sort it?

Which side? If its any good to you I have a passenger side rear light without the lens, its all there in good condition, was going to chuck it out, yours for the postage if you want it.

You have PM

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I broke 4 of mine on one light. I say broke, they just disintegrated when I undid the nuts on a hot day. I just rebuilt the mounts using some of the metal putty stuff (think it was JB Weld that I had in the garage from fixing the exhaust grille) and embedded the threaded section into it, before it set. Also did a pre-emptive strike on the other undamaged mounts on both lights, before it happened there. They're probably the strongest part of the rear of the VX now.

#8 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

I might do that to the side that has only two before they go. I shall give Marks light a go on the totally buggered one first.

Edited by P11 COV, 24 June 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#9 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

So I have a new light enclosure on the way minus the lense, 1. How do I remove the lense from my buggered light? Just a stanley knife? 2. What do I use to stick the old lense to the new light enclosure?

#10 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Seach on lenses. Something like in the oven for an hour at 60 to soften the glue then a knife. I'd recomend some WD on the blade to stop the old adhesive grabbing the blade. Resticking varies a little. I used winbond PU primer on the surfaces and then stuck them together with tiger seal.

#11 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

I tried the glue technique and it didn't last so I opened up the light cluster, drilled through the front and put in a bolt from the other side. Painted the top of the bolt black for extra pikeyness! :tt:

Edited by G-Bob, 25 June 2012 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users