Photo

Performance Check.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Planes, Cars & Bikes.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

OK, so everyone talks HP & Torque figures and dyno this, dyno that. but it would be interesting for to me to get a real handle on performance, and would like to know what others are getting from their std, or modded VX's. I did a couple of tests (on a disused aerodrome of course), firstly checking out the speedo accuracy. using a garmin GPS, (aero/marine nav, not an automotive satnav) I found my vx speedo to be pretty accurate, far better than the typical 10% optimistic we see on most production cars. at an indicated 151mph, my GPS reads 148, so, stack system = 3% optimistic. Not bad. Then, to try and get a repeatable scenario, I chose a range of acceleration that could be done in one gear, much like a dyno pull. 50>120 indicated is just possible in 4th gear, so that is what I've done, by videoing the speedo, accelerate from about 40 in 4th, so that by the time it passes 50mph, the boost etc is in full swing, then view the video afterwards and time the period from 50 to 120, simples. Anyway. after a good few runs/videos (iPhone gaffa taped into steering wheel works for me) the time seems to be pretty repeatable at 14.4 seconds. not as quick as I'd hoped, but a reference for me to come back to after any changes or mods. Has anyone done the same or similar, and what figures do you get. Would love to hear what the heavily modded cars do, and also completely std ones (mine is TMS stage 1) Anyone???

Edited by Jon Fuller, 27 July 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#2 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

SteveA recorded some data when he went through the stages. He did post something not long ago....

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think the VX reacts well to power mods upto about 425 BHP, the chassis is great though the rear B pillars and subframe are a bit poor. Every car is different, so hard to give a like for like comparison. When I went to a recent VX meet with 60+ cars it was almost impossible to see a single unmodified one! I notice from your profile that you are considering a CS stage2 - I think you will deffo notice the improvement and it's the best power/value mod you can do to a VXT. The mid range torque of a stage 2 will transform your 50-120 MPH values due to the wide range of rev availability. Get a test psx/drive in a stage 2 car and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

Edited by Nev, 27 July 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#4 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

I think the VX reacts well to power mods upto about 425 BHP, the chassis is great though the rear B pillars and subframe are a bit poor. Every car is different, so hard to give a like for like comparison. When I went to a recent VX meet with 60+ cars it was almost impossible to see a single unmodified one!

I notice from your profile that you are considering a CS stage2 - I think you will deffo notice the improvement and it's the best power/value mod you can do to a VXT. The mid range torque of a stage 2 will transform your 50-120 MPH values due to the wide range of rev availability. Get a test psx/drive in a stage 2 car and you will see what I mean.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. I actually have it booked into Courtenay on Aug 1st for a CS2, and fitted a Milltek yesterday in readiness. But as I said in another thread last night, I'm a bit pissed off with all the noise it now makes :( it actually makes it feel slower!! I much, much prefer a quiet car. last thing I want, or need is everyone turning to see who the idiot with the loud exhaust is, including the plod.

#5 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Good job you didn't get a Larini. Milltek is almost as quiet as OEM anyway....

#6 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good job you didn't get a Larini. Milltek is almost as quiet as OEM anyway....

This one isn't. :( I should have added, I didn't buy the exhaust new, so as Techiboy said, some of the wadding may have left the building....

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

VXes suffer with noise as they have quite a limited amount of space for silencer boxes :( We all suffer from this problem, particularily as you get into big power.

#8 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

OEM managed whisper quiet though Nev. The issue I geuss is reducing the volume without restricting the flow... You even get a bit more length in the Turbo system though right? The exhaust side is opposite to the NA no?

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

correct

#10 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Its a shame, as i would have thought that using the oem principle of silencing, but going up to 2.5" from 2, it ought to be possible to produce a less reatrictive system for the stiffer remaps, whilst maintaining similar noise level and type. Not everyone wants to be a 'revvin kevin'.

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

The only loud Milltek'd turbos I've heard have all been Stage 4 and with a backbox that's well past it's best (and design limits). Most of the time, you can barely hear them on track. You want to experience noise, get a stage 3 SC car with a 3.0" Tullett system.

#12 Jon Fuller

Jon Fuller

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

You want to experience noise, get a stage 3 SC car with a 3.0" Tullett system.

But I don't! That's the point.

I can only assume this is knackered, as to me, it seems mighty loud. Mind you, I am nearly feckin 50! Us oldens don't like a lot of din.
Jf

#13 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

If the milltek back box is knackered and you bought the system off the original owner, get them to get you another back box, as they have a lifetime guarantee. Steve

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

If the milltek back box is knackered and you bought the system off the original owner, get them to get you another back box, as they have a lifetime guarantee.

As long as the car hadn't had more than a 30% power upgrade.

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

But I don't! That's the point.

You and me both. I'm about to fit the third iteration of the 3.0" Tullet system. Which follows three of four versions of a Piper system. Which followed on from a Milltek. Which replaced a VSE. I've spent more on exhausts than some have buying the car.

#16 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

I notice from your profile that you are considering a CS stage2 - I think you will deffo notice the improvement and it's the best power/value mod you can do to a VXT. The mid range torque of a stage 2 will transform your 50-120 MPH values due to the wide range of rev availability. Get a test psx/drive in a stage 2 car and you will see what I mean.

Good luck.

Having gone from stage 1+ (precat removed, airbox mod, new plugs, remap) to stage 2 and then back again, imho the stage 1+ is by far the best value mod.
In fact, in all honesty, testing purely non scientifically with my arse dyno, I couldn't really tell much difference between the two. Maybe the stage 2 pulls a bit harder at the higher revs but thats all.

stage 1+ will get you to 240bhp/260lbft for ~£600.
stage 2 will get you to 260bhp/290lbft for ~£1900 !!

...just noticed the OP has already got the Milltek fitted, so hey happy days...you -will- have a smile on your face leaving Courtenays!
My Milltek was never that loud, I quite liked how it was not too harsh but had enough of a rumble to be more sporty than std.

#17 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

"spoardee"

EFA

#18 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Wright stuff- just out of curiosity how come you went up then back to stage 1+ again? I still argue that from a standard car there is absolutely no better value for money power upgrade available than stage 1+

#19 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

This is data from a TMS stage 2 with Milltek. It shows 20-80, it includes a gear change from 2nd to 3rd which took 0.5 seconds of flat accelleration.
Posted Image

The 50-80 of 4.13 seconds could probably be quicker if it was done all in third as the gear change happened at 54mph.

This data was taken from a track accelerating out of a very slow second gear corner on to a straight. I think it was done on 888s.

I'll look for some more data of other test ranges, if that helps.

Edited by dw1, 27 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

from 40 - 100 = 6s , this was a very long time ago, done on the Chobham test track

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users