Photo

Laminova's Bone Dry Or Wet And Gritty....?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Sutol found these

O rings size 29.75 x 3.53 nitrile BS217
http://supaseal.co.uk/kits.htm#o-rings

just ordinary O ring seals, nothing special thumbsup

#22 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Jimmy I removed mine and they were not as bad as yours mine were dry but dirty I will be up for some new seals. Wonder if the laminova they sell in the states http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_500wt_1156 are any good as backup units

Mine has had a few types of filter on over the years and this is the first time the cores have been out (since install), so I don't know which filter was the worst. I have an apexi cone now but think the one cliffie has might be worth a try that or a modded oem box

Edited by NickB777, 06 August 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#23 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think you need to ask yourself where all the grit/dirt is coming from. I would guess 2 possible places: 1. Your after market air filter is not doing it's job (likely culprit at a guess). 2. Your inlet pipework has leaks which is sucking dirt/grit in (unlikely or youd probably have other issues). If one were to assume that the air filter is allowing lots of grit/dirt in, it is likely to allow water in too as water particles will be smaller than grit. I would recommend going back to using the OEM paper filter and making sure it is baffled adequately such that rain/fog/moisutre cannot strike the filter (in a direct line) from the ear. Also, a filter should have a drain hole on the bottom of it (pre-filter side), incase water does accumulate in it somehow. Perhaps you could raise the height of yours too in the ear if it is currently low down, to reduce road spray? I know I keep saying it on various threads, but those after market filters will likely not do their job adequately. I dunno which air filter you've got, but when I rang up quite a few of the obvious ones a few years back (like ITG) they could supply no scientific data on particle filtration or pressure drop accross their filters. To be frank, they simply didn't seem care where their product was doing its job :(

#24 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Nev is quite right about the filtration difference between paper OEM and aftermarket performance filters :sleep:

#25 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Also, aside from fouling your laminovas, imagine the damage to the piston rings and bores that all that grit is doing. Lastly once that dirt/grit has managed to pass your rings, it will drop into the sump and contaminate your oil which in turn will increase wear rates on virtually every other component in the engine :mellow:

#26 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Also, aside from fouling your laminovas, imagine the damage to the piston rings and bores that all that grit is doing.

Lastly once that dirt/grit has managed to pass your rings, it will drop into the sump and contaminate your oil which in turn will increase wear rates on virtually every other component in the engine :mellow:

*cough* oil filter

#27 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

The filtration is a seperate issue right now though. I think it seems so gritty as the moisture has made it accumilate in such a manner, I bet the majority of it would have just blown through without a care if it were not caught by the moisture from the laminovas. I do wat to change to an alternative fliter though!! For now I need to seal the manifold!! I put the bloody manifold back in now though :( Looks like I'm taking it bak out tonight, the wife will be thrilled!!

#28 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I remember reading an article about the importance of the air filter and the effectiveness of particle filtration. Runs away to find article.... Can't find it. I was a Prorsche racing team who ran endurance races. They ran two cars on fresh re-builds one with a mesh filter and one with a paper filter. They ran dynos on the cars before and after. Before the mesh one had something like 4% more power after the race it was down something like 10%. They had the heads off and there were pictures and the mesh filtered car was a mess. Pitting on the cylinder heads, scores down the linings, and the TB and intake was covered in crap. The paper filtered car had no damage to the pistons and very little dust/crap in the intake tract. Wish I could find the article :(

Edited by VXed, 06 August 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#29 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

not the one I was thinking of, but interesting none the less. http://www.bobistheo...er/airtest1.htm

Shows virtually no point in changing the air filteras the biggest gain was 0.14% at the expense of letting in more particles....

#30 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://www.mkiv.com/...filters_test/2/ mmmmmmm shite.

#31 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

http://www.mkiv.com/...filters_test/2/
mmmmmmm shite.

No Good Slingborg?

I saw that and it was one of the reasons I went Apexi I had a pipercxross and before that K&N

Edited by NickB777, 06 August 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#32 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm panicing a bit about inlet air too, as I've temporarily got one of the HKS mega flow jobbies in Nipper and need to change it for my home made airbox. However, I can't find enough room in the engine bay for it :(

Edited by Nev, 06 August 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#33 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

http://www.max-boost...take/intake.htm

#34 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Right manifold back off...... I didn't remove the inner orings last time round and found a slight nick in one this time. Don't think it's enough to cause a leak but it's still not clever. However one of the washers is a little damaged which I think would prevent a decent seal!! What are the washers made of....? I would have guessed stainless but they are magnetic. I'll see if I can get some custom washers made up, anybody else interested...? If I can combine with orings we can make up some service kits.

#35 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I would have guessed stainless but they are magnetic.

I'm pretty sure the cheaper SS grades can become magnetic...

#36 MellowYellow

MellowYellow

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

I would have guessed stainless but they are magnetic.

I'm pretty sure the cheaper SS grades can become magnetic...

Cheap 304 st/st is magnetic.....not great for washers either.

#37 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Jimmy, could you use a smear of RTV or some other Loctite agent that perhaps wasn't so 'gluey' on the poor o-rings ?

#38 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

http://www.mkiv.com/...filters_test/2/
mmmmmmm shite.

No Good Slingborg?

I saw that and it was one of the reasons I went Apexi I had a pipercxross and before that K&N

Oem paper or just pour sand into the engine.

#39 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

I've ordered some new orings, trying to locate some washers. Rather than using a nasty sealant wouldn't a good splodge of silicone grease help improve the seal....? If not which sealant would be the best to use in this application..? Worth considering that the end orings are basically blind and I dont want to get sealant spashed around in the manifold......

#40 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...5410#vi-content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users